Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Gibbs article from the Iowa City paper

It's written from an Iowa perspective, but says that Coach Mac has been recruiting him the longest, and that he doesn't have a leader at this time.

hawk central | Hawkeye Basketball, Men's

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Gibbs article from the Iowa City paper

I think that it is actually more important for Iowa to sign Gibbs that for us to get him. Licklighter has to get kids like this to keep the fans happy. So I think that the will place a definite premium on this kid. Can you imagine if he comes here what the response in IC will be??? This is almost a must-sign for them.

While I think that he can definitely help us, and hope that he comes, I don't think that he makes of breaks the class, especially with Buckley (who I wouldn't be surprised to see starting from the minute he steps on campus) coming in.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

It's fun to finally be in a postion to not need a player as bad as that other team out east.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 35

I would love to see him commit to ISU, I think we need all the talent we can get, especially since we have not had the best track record over the last 5 years with incoming recruits.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    I think that it is actually more important for Iowa to sign Gibbs that for us to get him. Licklighter has to get kids like this to keep the fans happy. So I think that the will place a definite premium on this kid. Can you imagine if he comes here what the response in IC will be??? This is almost a must-sign for them.
    To play the devil's advocate, Mac has been recruiting this kid long before Lickliter was hired at Iowa. Gibbs has said he had very little interest in Iowa until the new coach got there and started recruiting him. ISU SHOULD be the favorite to get the kid, and Iowa getting him after only recently getting in on his recruitment would be quite a feather in Lickliter's cap. In the perception of things, he could be more of a "must get" for Mac and the Clones.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I don't think its a must get because of the pg's weve already signed in the next 2 classes. The hawks have only one and his only other d1 offers were from St Louis and Princeton. Not very impressive especially before Majerus was at STL. I am comfterable with buckley and DG and Brister in the next 3-4 years. While saying that i WANT gibbs to sign with us!

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

you think its more important for iowa?

it is absolutley a must for iowa to sign him for many reasons. 1. he is from prime hawk territory. 2. remember bohannon? 3. licklighter must prove he can get the top players from iowa especially after the pathetic non-recruiting of Vette by him. 4. they need gaurds and players in general, especially for 08. 5. here is a excellent recruit that their top instate rival [ISU] has a ton of recruits at that position already signed and or their verbal. I would love to see isu get him because he is a good player but also it would be a witchhunt on hawk boards if they lost out on him. ha ha ha.... We will be able to hear em squealing like a stuck pig all the way from iowa city.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,162
    Given: 602

I think that whoever signs him will have made an important statement for their program. Lickliter needs to show he can compete in-state. McDermott is expected to dominate in-state, and this is the very first head to head between the two. Important on both sides. Not the end of the world on either side though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If Mac does sign him it would be quite impressive in my opinion. We seem to be quite stocked at the guard position for the foreseeable. I too would like this kid but don't let the Hawk fans fool you into thinking this is an apples-to-apples head-to-head battle between Mac and Lick. Kids want to play immediately and some don't want to compete with 4 others for PT. If ISU was as thin at the guard position as the Hawks, there's no doubt in my mind this kid would have already been wrapped up. No question the Hawks can offer more "guaranteed" playing time right off the bat than we can and that's a huge advantage all else being equal.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Godfrey View Post
    To play the devil's advocate, Mac has been recruiting this kid long before Lickliter was hired at Iowa. Gibbs has said he had very little interest in Iowa until the new coach got there and started recruiting him. ISU SHOULD be the favorite to get the kid, and Iowa getting him after only recently getting in on his recruitment would be quite a feather in Lickliter's cap. In the perception of things, he could be more of a "must get" for Mac and the Clones.

You know Ernie, after reading your kool-aid inspired rants on the DM Register story, I am beginning to think that you are really worried about the hiring of Todd Lickliter.

Actually, Wisconsin should be the favorite for this kid. They have proven to be a top program (doesn't hurt to play in a bad conference), and they have a kid from his high school already on the roster.

EIu should be second because he lives 30 minutes away, AND one of his best friends from AAU ball is going there.

Now had Gibbs not "blown up" he would have made sense for Mac at UNI. Jake saw the writing on the wall and signed a good player out of Chicago, so they are out.

Iowa State has a lot of prospects at the guard position coming in over the next two years. Again, I would like to see Gibbs come along and play with Garrett, and Buckley. It would be a significant signing because he lives in the Cedar Rapids area. However, to say that it is a must get for GMac tells me that all of the questions about Lickliter's ability to recruit, and the fact that he has 10 players on the roster, and has signed noone but the guard that Alford recruited, does concern you.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

"kool aid inspired rants". Good stuff. Care to show me one?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I know we've got a lot of guards coming in the next two years, but I think it's really important we get Gibbs. A 6'5" guard? That's sick. If he and Staiger grow another inch, they'll have the body of a SF. And he is used to playing forward and center in h.s.
    What a lineup we could have in '08.
    Buckley?
    Garrett
    Gibbs/Staiger
    W. Johnson
    Brackins

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Godfrey View Post
    "kool aid inspired rants". Good stuff. Care to show me one?
    Actually, Ernie, EVERY post that you have made on CF is pretty much company line. It's like you read, or hear, it on a Hawk show, and come back here.

Let's see, spin all of the different offers, check.

Give Lickliter an out, if Gibbs goes to Iowa State, check.

It's almost like reading posts from Tom Kakert. And there is no bigger kool-aid drinker that Tom. And much of what he spews is to protect the self image of his readers, and to cover up his concerns about the shortcomings of their programs.

Ernie, I am sure that you are a great guy, but to channel all of the company line, speaks, to me anyway, that you are worried.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 289

First off let's define "must Get". Must get's are guys that if you don't get them you are going to be hurting for a while longer. Gibbs does not fit that role seeing as how we already have guys in that position that can do the job. 3 to be honest. Iowa has one kid (Freeman) who can't get it done. They have another one (Peterson?) that was being recruited by Princeton and Iowa and some other school that is on a low tier. So must get would probably have to go to Iowa since they really don't have much quality at that position. No If we are talking "want to get" I think ISU is in that position. It would show that we can go into Iowa's back yard and pull basketball recruits.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Actually, Ernie, EVERY post that you have made on CF is pretty much company line. It's like you read, or hear, it on a Hawk show, and come back here.

Let's see, spin all of the different offers, check.

Give Lickliter an out, if Gibbs goes to Iowa State, check.

It's almost like reading posts from Tom Kakert. And there is no bigger kool-aid drinker that Tom. And much of what he spews is to protect the self image of his readers, and to cover up his concerns about the shortcomings of their programs.

Ernie, I am sure that you are a great guy, but to channel all of the company line, speaks, to me anyway, that you are worried.

So in other words darts, you can't show a "kool aid inspired rant" I've posted? I'd settle for where I spun any offers. If you took anything as such you missed my point (which was simply the $$ amount of a prepared offer doesn't necessarily indicate the order of preference) entirely. Either that, or YOU are the spinner.

Looking at things from both sides isn't a bad thing, it doesn't indicate "worry" (although I think Lickliter will be a better coach at Iowa that Alford ever would have been), and it certainly isn't a "kool aid inspired rant".

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Ernie Godfrey; 06-07-2007 at 04:30 PM.