Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New Orangebloods Article

Give Chip over at Orangebloods.com credit - he seems to always be on top of things. He has a new article over there about recent Tubbervilled statements and what is going on with the new Big XII. I think it is premium, but some of the comments that I thought were relevant are:

Sources also tell Orangebloods.com that everyone - all 10 schools in the Big 12 - could reach the threshold of $20 million "in the next five years" if things play out a certain way.

But the question now facing the 10 schools left in the Big 12 is if they want to reopen for bid the TV contract the league has with Fox Sports Net next year and see if another suitor comes forward with even more money.

Right now, Fox Sports Net, according to sources, has come forward with a lucrative promise to extend their contract by four years, through 2016, to synch up with the league's ABC/ESPN deal which expires in 2016.

FSN has not only agreed to raise the value of that contract by as much at least 250 percent, according to sources, but it has agreed to pay some of that money up front - before the contract even takes effect. Call it a signing bonus or show of good faith.

So the Big 12 has two options: take FSN's offer and not open the TV contract up for bid in 2011; or say thanks but no thanks to FSN and open that contract up for bid and see if Comcast, TNT or other suitors come forward with even more money.

The Big 12 was always ripe for takeover or raiding because it had staggered TV contracts, a situation Beebe inherited as commissioner. Having one package up for bid at different times than the other limited the league's bargaining power and options.

Walk On
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: New Orangebloods Article

This guy is stringing everyone along at this point, and most of ya'll are taking the bait...........So far Chip has served as an outlet for UT to get out whatever they want into the media without being held accontable for it, and mostly to benefit them in numerous ways. Read into what he says however you want, but keep in mind that whatever he says has been spoon fed to him by a member of the UT AD, and there is an agenda behind what's being leaked to him. Never trust anyone associated with Texas!

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Sounds to me like Texas is trying to repair the Big 12 image. All schools at $20 M in the next 5 years, that would be great.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by CyFanInChiLand View Post
    This guy is stringing everyone along at this point, and most of ya'll are taking the bait...........So far Chip has served as an outlet for UT to get out whatever they want into the media without being held accontable for it, and mostly to benefit them in numerous ways. Read into what he says however you want, but keep in mind that whatever he says has been spoon fed to him by a member of the UT AD, and there is an agenda behind what's being leaked to him. Never trust anyone associated with Texas!
    So what's your agenda???

I really don't care about OrangeBlood Chip one way or the other, but unless you can provide information showing that what has reported regarding the upcoming TV deal is not correct or factual, I'm going to assume to that you are just jealous/bitter for some reason, and are doing nothing more than blowing hot air.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    So what's your agenda???

I really don't care about OrangeBlood Chip one way or the other, but unless you can provide information showing that what has reported regarding the upcoming TV deal is not correct or factual, I'm going to assume to that you are just jealous/bitter for some reason, and are doing nothing more than blowing hot air.
    I don't think he's alone on those thoughts actually. Some in the media have voiced about the same opinion. Keep in mind, this is the guy who "broke" the news that UT was to Pac 10, then came back and "broke" the news that UT may be staying.

His information doesn't seem anymore than exactly what the poster stated, information provided to him by the AD office - nothing more. He's a puppet with a big following after the whole realignment ordeal.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    His information doesn't seem anymore than exactly what the poster stated, information provided to him by the AD office - nothing more. He's a puppet.
    I'm going to go ahead and assume that like CyFanInChiLand, you also have nothing with which to back up your assertions...

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and assume that like CyFanInChiLand, you also have nothing with which to back up your assertions...
    Well the more obvious question would be, where else would they get that info? Where else does John Walters, Chris Williams, or any other news media outlet get their info, from the AD office and university. It's just the matter of good journalism to ensure your sources info is solid before posting around and marketing out your website. Something Chip wasn't doing, and instead just became a puppet for what ever was being shared with him.

I didn't see once where Chris or John stated anything about anything regarding the expansion - maybe because our AD has a little more pride and wants to ensure things are final before releasing to the public....

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Well the more obvious question would be, where else would they get that info? Where else does John Walters, Chris Williams, or any other news media outlet get their info, from the AD office and university. It's just the matter of good journalism to ensure your sources info is solid before posting around and marketing out your website. Something Chip wasn't doing, and instead just became a puppet for what ever was being shared with him.

I didn't see once where Chris or John stated anything about anything regarding the expansion - maybe because our AD has a little more pride and wants to ensure things are final before releasing to the public....
    Thanks for confirming my assumption...

Did it occur to you that Chip might have some contacts within the Big 12 office? He was a reporter for the Dallas Morning News for 15 years or something like that...and Dallas is where the Big 12 office is. He was pretty well known in the Dallas media before he went off into the website business.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 07-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 65

From everything I've read, and he's stated on numerous occasions...nothing came from Texas. It was from contacts at other Universities. I think it's possible Texas was scheming from the beginning, but I really don't think he Texas's prophet.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 294

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Sounds to me like Texas is trying to repair the Big 12 image. All schools at $20 M in the next 5 years, that would be great.
    That would the Big Ten like. Maybe Nebraska did us a favor.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by CyFanInChiLand View Post
    LOL.

Chip's main source during the B12 Missile Crisis was Kevin Weiberg from the P10, not UT. Weiberg was formerly B12 Commish and located in DFW where Chip worked for the Dallas Morning News before going to Rivals. In addition to Weiberg, he has some TV network sources that have been tipping him off on some stuff he reports.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The B12 schools need $20 Million now, not in five years. They sooner the conference can increase TV revenue for all members the better. I need more information to form an opinion, but I do think for the health of the league; more is needed now.

SPC

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,439
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 14

Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't think that this new Big 12 is going to be quite the diaster that those in the local media think it will be.

I suspect we will still be in this league 20 years from now.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't think that this new Big 12 is going to be quite the diaster that those in the local media think it will be.

I suspect we will still be in this league 20 years from now.
    I think you're right on as long as the money stays top notch which it sounds like it could be.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    That would the Big Ten like. Maybe Nebraska did us a favor.
    Yeah, but how much will the Big Ten be getting in 5 years? 30 million apiece?