Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

IPTV and Iowa State

Just surfing IPTV tonight and I think that they're in need for a little content. The channel is HD..... would there be any chance for the Cyclones to broadcast sports and further promote the school from that site?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Re: IPTV and Iowa State

Quote Originally Posted by JackClone View Post
    Just surfing IPTV tonight and I think that they're in need for a little content. The channel is HD..... would there be any chance for the Cyclones to broadcast sports and further promote the school from that site?
    Nope.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

why, that would be unfair to the "only university in the state!" Can't do that. Just fyi, if they discovered oil underneath ISU, we'd have to share the revenue with everyone (other universities). Can't let ISU get a leg up. Second fiddles aren't allowed a solo part.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone View Post
    why, that would be unfair to the "only university in the state!" Can't do that. Just fyi, if they discovered oil underneath ISU, we'd have to share the revenue with everyone (other universities). Can't let ISU get a leg up. Second fiddles aren't allowed a solo part.
    Off topic a bit... there isn't oil, but there is an old coal mine underneath Ames.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 1,069

WOI.

*sigh*

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    Off topic a bit... there isn't oil, but there is an old coal mine underneath Ames.
    *they'rs coal in them there steam tunnels!* 2x

Serious note: really? When was it in use?

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone View Post
    *they'rs coal in them there steam tunnels!* 2x

Serious note: really? When was it in use?

I'm not sure when they shut the mine down. I guess the coal under Iowa was high in sulfur so it was low quality. I remember my professors talking about it when I took geology and all of my soil science classes a couple of years ago. Apparently the ground would shake every once in a while in town because of the blasts underneath the ground. The big red pile of dirt that nothing grows on in Boone is some coal mine spoil from a mine that was just outside of Boone.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    I'm not sure when they shut the mine down. I guess the coal under Iowa was high in sulfur so it was low quality. I remember my professors talking about it when I took geology and all of my soil science classes a couple of years ago. Apparently the ground would shake every once in a while in town because of the blasts underneath the ground. The big red pile of dirt that nothing grows on in Boone is some coal mine spoil from a mine that was just outside of Boone.
    Any chance we could ship that "big red pile of dirt" over to our neighbors to the west as a parting gift from the B12. Barren soil always looked good on a football field, right?

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 944
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Nebraska's NPTV carries NU volleyball among other "lesser" sports events. The local Time Warner cable has a free"Nebraska On Demand" channel with nothing but NU stories and replays. It's not certain whether the Big 10 will permit this to continue.

Iowa does have multiple state schools, which may complicate broadcasts on public tv, but does not, IMHO, totally preclude coverage. Assuming the conference tv package allows, ISU ought to explore every opportunity to market its product. Even a non-revenue broadcast provides promotion, especially among possible recruits, and enhances the brand. The Big 10 and Mo Valley may have different rules, so not all the schools will necessarily have the same options.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87

Why wouldn't ISU have this option?

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

IPTV has the only HD production truck in Iowa. Ironically, IPTV's HD wrestling coverage (2-4 meets involving ISU) almost matches or beats HD appearances by football and mens bball.

No commercials on PBS stations limit revenue source but sponsors can be used. IPTV represents strong opportunity for statewide exposure (every market including Omaha). Any IPTV coverage would be stronger than Mediacom or CTN, plus consistent HD.

Only catch - there are anti-competition clauses that could limit IPTV as a state agency from outbidding anyone for rights. They would have to be given by ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cbdsm View Post
    IPTV has the only HD production truck in Iowa. Ironically, IPTV's HD wrestling coverage (2-4 meets involving ISU) almost matches or beats HD appearances by football and mens bball.

No commercials on PBS stations limit revenue source but sponsors can be used. IPTV represents strong opportunity for statewide exposure (every market including Omaha). Any IPTV coverage would be stronger than Mediacom or CTN, plus consistent HD.

Only catch - there are anti-competition clauses that could limit IPTV as a state agency from outbidding anyone for rights. They would have to be given by ISU.
    Let me first say that I have donated money and time to public television where I live. I enjoy some of the programming on public television very much. However, frankly, I think that public television should not receive any tax dollars. This post, while true, is very irritating.

Why should a non-profit public entity that is using taxpayer dollars have the only HD production truck in the state of Iowa. That is asinine.

Revenue...that is why you want to get on TV. I know being able to see the games on TV is nice but if it does not provide a revenue stream...it is not beneficial to ISU.

Revenue...the rights would have to be given by ISU to PBS...again, pointless if no revenue can be generated by ISU.

The bottom line is that ISU needs to find ways to generate more revenue...not give its product away.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.