Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 695
    Given: 186

Williams: Tired of Shirley's Mouth??? Here's a rebuttal...

Fanatics,
    Here's my column from today's Tribune. I fire back at Paul Shirley and the rest of the Iowa haters out there. Hope you like it! Stay dry folks...

Mid-Iowa Newspapers - Chris Williams: If you can't say something nice ...

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Williams: Tired of Shirley's Mouth??? Here's a rebuttal...

Nice work.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Not a bad write-up Chris.

I, for one, am getting real sick of Paul's bashing/slighting of ISU and the state of Iowa as well.

Let's be honest- Paul had about one more offer to play D1 basketball than I did. I'll let you guess how many that is. We all sat here and said "Paul who". I thought he'd amount to little more than a GPA boost.

Ames is brutal? Somehow you were found in Meriden, KS!!!

But he was given a chance to play big time ball in a big time conference. And although I think he's trying to be funny, he rips ISU more often than not.

If he keeps it up - I really hope that at his book signing in Ames, there's a tv monitor nearby with a looped clip of his crying like a 5 year old school-girl at the Elite 8 in '00.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 05-24-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

I take it all with a grain of salt. So he's not the biggest ISU homer like some of us. Yeah it sucks he's not talking the place up but at least he's not bringing out some new dirt or something that would embarass us.

Can always leave him comments on his myspace page too: www.myspace.com/paulshirley

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,447
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 67

Wow, I knew he was pushing his book sales but had no idea until today that he was bashing the awesome state of Iowa. This comes from a guy who came here from Kansas, which could only be lower if he came from Nebraska....
    Then someone from the office brings me the DMrag article in the paper today where he calls Marcus Fizer a "genuine nut job". Could there be a little jealousy that is being vented most improperly???????

And I liked him until today...

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Well Fizer could be a nut job. He did get a weapons charge for carrying guns in his car when he was with the Bulls and he's got more tatoos than Rodman probably. And I did witness him running after some girl on the ISU campus once that I'm guessing was a lady friend as he was saying "come back here baby" when he went flying by me after her. At the time I did a double-take to be sure what I just saw and was like "crap, that Fizer's chasing that chick!"

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Can anyone say that there isn't some truth to the things he has said about Iowa, Ames, or the rest of the midwest? I know we have all probably made some kind of jokes about it... He has had a chance to see the world and I am sure that if you compare Ames to the rest of the places he has been it is pretty dull... You also have to realize that he never really 'came out of his shell' untill leaving Ames... You never saw him hanging out with teammates, rarely out at bars or any social activivites... He used to come to almost every ISU baseball game, more often than not, by himself...

I had a chance to live alot of different places in my short 28 years, and yes, Ames was probably the least exciting, but that is kind of why I liked it... Lighten up...

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Notwithstanding that I wouldn't trade my undergraduate years at ISU for any other school, I don't see anything wrong with joking about my experiences there. Its something that people do, I've heard jokes about New York, Los Angeles, and yes even Ames, Iowa. So I agree...Lighten up

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I've got to agree with Chris on this one. I started out reading Shirley's columns regularly because I loved him as a player at Iowa State, with all the hustle and effort he brought to the team. But his cynical, pessimistic shtick has worn thin on me. It was kind of funny at first, but now he comes across as a smug and self-obsessed malcontent, in my opinion. For a kid from Meriden, Kansas to rip on Ames and Iowa State is hypocritical. He's essentially biting the hand that fed him for so long, and potentially alienating his most loyal fan base.

In addition to Iowa, I've lived in Southern California, Washington, DC, and Denver, Colorado. I've been to Europe, virtually every major metropolitan area in the United States, and several in Canada. I've seen a lot of the world, and you definitely won't hear make taking shots at Ames.

I love Ames for what it is, not what it's not. Ames is never going to be New York or Los Angeles, but it has a lot to offer if you are realistic in what you expect. It's a great college town in the Midwest. I don't live there anymore and probably never will again, but I always value the chances I get to come back to visit. How does one becoming more "cosmopolitan" make Ames a worthy target of denigration and ridicule?

I don't hate Shirley or feel betrayed by him. I'm just tired of his act. I probably won't buy his book because I already know what it's going to say. I'm weary enough of defending Ames and the state of Iowa to the ignorant, supposedly "educated" masses on the coasts and elsewhere in America that I don't want to waste my time hearing about it from someone who used to be one of our own.

Last edited by BvK1126; 05-24-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Notwithstanding that I wouldn't trade my undergraduate years at ISU for any other school, I don't see anything wrong with joking about my experiences there. Its something that people do, I've heard jokes about New York, Los Angeles, and yes even Ames, Iowa. So I agree...Lighten up
    It's one thing to joke about it among people who know what you're talking about. Of course we who have been there will take some cracks at Ames, because we also implicitly know what we like about the place. It's another thing entirely to make those same jokes -- without qualification -- to outsiders who aren't familiar with the area. All it does is serve to make the Midwest look like some kind of bleak wasteland to those who aren't familiar with it and all too ready to buy into the baseless stereotypes.

I don't mind a little gentle ribbing of Ames or Iowa, even with those who have never been there. But to call Ames "brutal" without qualifying the remarks in any way is pretty harsh. America has a lot more going for it than just East and West Coasts and a handful of big cities. It's too bad most of the rest of the country doesn't know that based on what the entertainment industry (including Paul Shirley) has to say.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't be to hard on Paul. He might start crying!!!

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Hey, at least the national media knows Iowa has corn, not potatos.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have some legitimate beefs with Ames. I lived there for 7 years. But most of the problems I have with Ames are with policies, their abhorrence for growth and good retail, and the attitude that students are sheep to be shorn for 4 years. I always felt like Ames embodied the worst parts of conservatism and liberalism without any of the benefits. That's why I chose to live in Story City. It's just easier up here.

That being said..

I used to think central Iowa was the worst. But after living in Colorado, and spending a lot of time in Washington state and Chicago let me tell you that this is an easy place to live. My blood pressure goes down when I am here. It is an easy place to live. Life is uncomplicated. People used to rip on Idaho, and it's a "hot" place to live now with Californians moving in. I say let's let Paul Shirley perpetuate this perception of Iowa so we get the right people moving here and not the wrong ones.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    I've got to agree with Chris on this one. I started out reading Shirley's columns regularly because I loved him as a player at Iowa State, with all the hustle and effort he brought to the team. But his cynical, pessimistic shtick has worn thin on me. It was kind of funny at first, but now he comes across as a smug and self-obsessed malcontent, in my opinion. For a kid from Meriden, Kansas to rip on Ames and Iowa State is hypocritical. He's essentially biting the hand that fed him for so long, and potentially alienating his most loyal fan base.

In addition to Iowa, I've lived in Southern California, Washington, DC, and Denver, Colorado. I've been to Europe, virtually every major metropolitan area in the United States, and several in Canada. I've seen a lot of the world, and you definitely won't hear make taking shots at Ames.

I love Ames for what it is, not what it's not. Ames is never going to be New York or Los Angeles, but it has a lot to offer if you are realistic in what you expect. It's a great college town in the Midwest. I don't live there anymore and probably never will again, but I always value the chances I get to come back to visit. How does one becoming more "cosmopolitan" make Ames a worthy target of denigration and ridicule?

I don't hate Shirley or feel betrayed by him. I'm just tired of his act. I probably won't buy his book because I already know what it's going to say. I'm weary enough of defending Ames and the state of Iowa to the ignorant, supposedly "educated" masses on the coasts and elsewhere in America that I don't want to waste my time hearing about it from someone who used to be one of our own.
    Great post. I agree 100%. With Shirley's intelligence, he's the last player I thought would ever slam Iowa State and Ames for any reason, let alone for profit.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Iat least he's not bringing out some new dirt or something that would embarass us.
    You said new dirt when referring to a place in Iowa, now that is funny.