Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa State vs. K State Ticket Problems

Has anyone tried to get tickets for this game yet?

I live in KC and called the Arrowhead Ticket office first because I need a big group of tickets. Their ticket office offered me tickets on the lower level - 20 yard line. Then, thinking I would rather send my money to Iowa State - I delayed this purchase and called the Iowa State ticket office and buy my tickets from them. When I called, I was told "we can't sell you any tickets as we have not seated our ticket allotment yet". When I asked when this would be done, I was told "probably in late July". When I explained to the ISU ticket office that not only will the Chiefs sell me tickets and tell me exactly what seats they will be - but that you can go on to K State's website and buy them even easier there, she said she was sorry but there was nothing she could do. The "guy" that does that is on vacation and won't be able to get to it until late July.

I'm not going to let these tickets (the 20 yard line tickets I am buying from Arrowhead) go because ISU might someday get their tickets organized, and those tickets may or may not be better seats. However, when the schools and the media report how many tickets were sold by each institution - Iowa State will lose credit for the 46 I am buying here in KC (but would rather buy from ISU). Last I checked - we weren't in a financial position to turn away money from our athletic programs. This makes me, in some ways, reluctant to send any money to our program right now. Why do those kids keep calling me at dinner time for donations to the Cyclone Club if the ticket office won't process my order of 46 tickets for a game because "the guy that does that is on vacation right now"?

Can anyone explain this?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

Re: Iowa State vs. K State Ticket Problems

Quote Originally Posted by mcondon View Post

I live in KC and called the Arrowhead Ticket office first because I need a big group of tickets. Their ticket office offered me tickets on the lower level - 20 yard line. Then, thinking I would rather send my money to Iowa State - I delayed this purchase and called the Iowa State ticket office and buy my tickets from them. When I called, I was told "we can't sell you any tickets as we have not seated our ticket allotment yet". When I asked when this would be done, I was told "probably in late July". When I explained to the ISU ticket office that not only will the Chiefs sell me tickets and tell me exactly what seats they will be - but that you can go on to K State's website and buy them even easier there, she said she was sorry but there was nothing she could do. The "guy" that does that is on vacation and won't be able to get to it until late July.

I'm not going to let these tickets (the 20 yard line tickets I am buying from Arrowhead) go because ISU might someday get their tickets organized, and those tickets may or may not be better seats. However, when the schools and the media report how many tickets were sold by each institution - Iowa State will lose credit for the 46 I am buying here in KC (but would rather buy from ISU). Last I checked - we weren't in a financial position to turn away money from our athletic programs. This makes me, in some ways, reluctant to send any money to our program right now. Why do those kids keep calling me at dinner time for donations to the Cyclone Club if the ticket office won't process my order of 46 tickets for a game because "the guy that does that is on vacation right now"?

Can anyone explain this?
    Seating for tickets purchased through ISU is based on donor level. I had terrible seats last year because I went through ISU so this year I will go through Arrowhead (or Stubhub).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    Email Jamie and nicely ask him what you should do with your potential purchase of 46 tickets.
    Winner. Be polite and he'll respond, and normally very, very timely.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I ordered through Arrowhead. They were shocked that Iowa State couldn't/wouldn't sell them to me. They also indicated that they knew K State was selling tickets. The person I worked with at Arrowhead said I will receive my tickets in late July - probably before Iowa State "seats their allotment". Somebody will need to do something about this and soon.

I assume that people who are ordering big blocks of tickets are doing this right now (to try and keep their group together and get decent seats)- and Iowa State will lose out on all these opportunities.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

I ordered through Arrowhead. They were shocked that Iowa State couldn't/wouldn't sell them to me. They also indicated that they knew K State was selling tickets. The person I worked with at Arrowhead said I will receive my tickets in late July - probably before Iowa State "seats their allotment". Somebody will need to do something about this and soon.

I assume that people who are ordering big blocks of tickets are doing this right now (to try and keep their group together and get decent seats)- and Iowa State will lose out on all these opportunities.
    That's the thing, season ticket holders aren't even guaranteed they can get more than 4 (or 8 if you're a higher donor).

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 9

We got our group through the chiefs 40 tickets in sec 103 on the ISU side and already have the tickets.

Kyle S. Flander

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Funny - my 46 tickets are in section 103 - rows 9 and 10. I'll see you there. Too bad ISU lost out on at least 86 tickets!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 39

Can anyone explain this?
    I could be mistaken. But I think those telemarketing calls that you are getting at "dinner timer" are from the Iowa State Foundation. I believe that is a completely different group than the Cyclone Club. The Iowa State Foundation gives scholarships and is oriented towards the academic side of Iowa State. The Cyclone Club is the organization that benefits the athletics department.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I could be mistaken. But I think those telemarketing calls that you are getting at "dinner timer" are from the Iowa State Foundation. I believe that is a completely different group than the Cyclone Club. The Iowa State Foundation gives scholarships and is oriented towards the academic side of Iowa State. The Cyclone Club is the organization that benefits the athletics department.
    Cyclone Club goes through the Foundation. They handle all giving for ISU (at least that's how I understand it), and you can always specify where a donation goes (a department, college, athletics, etc.) Or some new or refurbished statue or whatever.

I worked for the Foundation for a semester. Not the best job in the world - I found it difficult to ask for so much money. Especially when I had so little at the time. The $1,000 the s cript started at seemed like a fortune to me, as I was a hundredaire... Now when they call, I have to give the phone to my wife - I have too much empathy for the job those kids are doing and always give them something...

Last edited by dunar; 06-30-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot about the s cript filter

Legend
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 1,223

Quote Originally Posted by dunar View Post
    Cyclone Club goes through the Foundation. They handle all giving for ISU (at least that's how I understand it), and you can always specify where a donation goes (a department, college, athletics, etc.) Or some new or refurbished statue or whatever.

I worked for the Foundation for a semester. Not the best job in the world - I found it difficult to ask for so much money. Especially when I had so little at the time. The $1,000 the s cript started at seemed like a fortune to me, as I was a hundredaire... Now when they call, I have to give the phone to my wife - I have too much empathy for the job those kids are doing and always give them something...
    That s cript is a little ridiculous. I just get done telling them things are tight and they say well you don't need to give much, how about we just start off with $1,000. That is when I usually just laugh and hang up the phone.

Last edited by VeloClone; 06-30-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: to bypass filter. :-)
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Neither the Cyclone Club nor the Foundation are my problem with this - and I am sorry for referring to them in the post - poor choice. However, the impact of this does spread beyond the ticket office and reflect upon the others - specifically the football program. Our program is not accepting money that people (myself included) are trying to send due to lethargy and apathy - two qualities that will not lead a struggling program back to where we want to be. Its not like my money alone would have made a big difference, but in the aggregate it could. Somebody needs to get it fixed.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 356

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    That s cript is a little ridiculous. I just get done telling them things are tight and they say well you don't need to give much, how about we just start off with $1,000. That is when I usually just laugh and hang up the phone.
    They just start high because some people actually do give that much - when I worked there I more than once had somebody say money was tight and end up giving $2,000-$5,000. I think the largest call I had (other than the people who had a history of giving a large amount) was $12,000. I was good at it though so I sometimes got assigned to call bigger donors (that weren't big enough to merit a call from somebody higher up). Having somebody put 10 or 15 thousand on a credit card when you call them is a trip.

Much more often it was $50 or $100, but the premise is if you start asking at only $100 you might be leaving money on the table. Really the student on the other end of the line would be perfectly happy if you donated $25.

They do call for the Cyclone Club too, or at least they did when I was there. I was always fine with that since it was still raising money for the University and students.

When they made us call for the Alumni Association though I just about quit, since instead of raising money for students we were basically just selling magazine subscriptions,

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 4

I was recently able to place my order through the ISU ticket office. They could not give me a exact seat location because they said they extended the priority ticket order deadline for Cyclone Club members and season ticket holders until July 1st.

My buddy who is a KSU fan said their deadline was April 30, I bet that is why K-State is assigning seats now. Thankfully for me I'm glad ISU waited that way I was still able to get my "priority" even though I ordered late.

I was told any tickets ordered through the ISU ticket office would be in the ISU sections at Arrowhead, even though they couldn't give me the exact seat locations.

Legend
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 1,223

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    They just start high because some people actually do give that much - when I worked there I more than once had somebody say money was tight and end up giving $2,000-$5,000. I think the largest call I had (other than the people who had a history of giving a large amount) was $12,000. I was good at it though so I sometimes got assigned to call bigger donors (that weren't big enough to merit a call from somebody higher up). Having somebody put 10 or 15 thousand on a credit card when you call them is a trip.

Much more often it was $50 or $100, but the premise is if you start asking at only $100 you might be leaving money on the table. Really the student on the other end of the line would be perfectly happy if you donated $25.

They do call for the Cyclone Club too, or at least they did when I was there. I was always fine with that since it was still raising money for the University and students.

When they made us call for the Alumni Association though I just about quit, since instead of raising money for students we were basically just selling magazine subscriptions,
    On the one hand, you may leave money on the table. On the other hand, you may alienate some who might be willing to give a little.

I am kind of turned off that they are pimping students out for this as well. I guess they can stop calling me anytime because I am not going to respond well to this approach.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    On the one hand, you may leave money on the table. On the other hand, you may alienate some who might be willing to give a little.

I am kind of turned off that they are pimping students out for this as well. I guess they can stop calling me anytime because I am not going to respond well to this approach.
    I cannot disagree. I live in St. Louis, so it is not often that I get 515 area code calls on my cell phone. when I do, I typically let it go to voicemail, because anything important will have a message left. Anyway, the reason I do this is because I already give quite a bit to ISU - both athletically and academically, and I get annoyed when they ask for more and act like they don't know what I am talking about when I tell them I just sent a check a couple months prior. I'm all for the fundraising calls, but they should do their homework on who has just given money, and perhaps not call right after that asking for more.