Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Does anybody really think ISU fans are Anti-KXNO?

I normally would never comment on something I heard on KXNO, but I was listening to M&M at the start of their show yesterday and it really got me thinking they are totally disconnected from ISU fans.

They went on and on about how they thought ISU fans thought KXNO and the hosts are anti-ISU. I donít think KXNO or Ken Miller are anti-ISU. I donít think Deace and Miller are anti-ISU. I donít want to speak for Cyclone fans so correct me if Iím wrong but I donít know a single one that feels that KXNO or any of the hosts (other than Giggles) is anti-ISU.

And Iím not necessarily sure Giggles is anti-ISU either, maybe on certain days but not in general. People arenít upset with Matt because heís ďtelling it like it isĒ and crap like that. The ones I know are upset with giggles because he makes stuff up like the Hoiberg issue from last week and he is just altogether a jerk on air. I donít think this reflects poorly on any other host or KXNO, other than the fact that they continue to employ him. I just thought they were off base yesterday in their assessment of ISU fans and their perception of the station. I was wondering if anybody else was thinking the same thing or if Iím off base at all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 230

Re: Does anybody really think ISU fans are Anti-KXNO?

I enjoy both Miller & Deace, and Murph & Andy. Their shows are good IMO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 9

Matt should not extend our dislike for him into dislike for the station. It isn't the case.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

They were really on the pity-pot yesterday...

Boo-hoo nobody likes us

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 230

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Matt should not extend our dislike for him into dislike for the station. It isn't the case.
    Agreed. The station as a whole is great. He's really the only person there that I don't enjoy listening to. Ken has a lot of good things to say.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonelifer View Post
    They were really on the pity-pot yesterday...

Boo-hoo nobody likes us
    I like the Murph and Andy show for entertainment value. I don't listen to any local sports talk radio for actual information.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like KXNO for the most part. It ticks me off when MP is going on one of his rants about HIS opinion of how things are/should be with ISU. I listen most days on the way to and from work because the drive time radio for local stations is mostly advertisements. I like M&D in the morning. I think that Miller is as objective of a Hawk fan as there is. Deace is sort of doom and gloom and tries for the shock value when it comes to certian issues but he is an idiot savant (sp, ironic i know) when it comes to college FB. I love listening in late summer when they start their breakdowns of college teams. I am much more of a loyal listener in the am than the pm.

I do listen to M&M in the pm IF I can stand it, and even sometimes when I cant. I enjoy the weekely guests that cover the Cubs and Pro football etc. If they are not interesting I turn it off.

Hate for any of them is too strong of a statement for me.

ďItís beyond pride. Itís a restored trust. Thereís a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State ďitĒ factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the manís enthusiasm is genuine to the core...Ē
    Ė columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 102

Matt just has some growing up to do. Although the more I think about it, these types usually don't change.

Sometimes I actually feel bad for the guy because I know this can't end good for him.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's an idea...bring someone in to talk in the afternoon that isn't from Boston....there seems to be a common theme here.

I vote for CW.

Thumbs Up

I like Ken Miller, but I can't stand his show because of Giggles. He's an arrogant jerk. He loves Nebraska, Iowa, and Creighton. If he doesn't have time for ISU and UNI, I don't have time for him.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HILLCYD View Post
    Here's an idea...bring someone in to talk in the afternoon that isn't from Boston....there seems to be a common theme here.

I vote for CW.
    If they bring in CW, who would pimp the Hawks all afternoon?

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Matt and Miller mentioned on their show on Monday night that they were having a meeting with "people" at ISU on Tuesday. They then got kind of hush hush about it. Does anybody have any details on this?

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I normally would never comment on something I heard on KXNO, but I was listening to M&M at the start of their show yesterday and it really got me thinking they are totally disconnected from ISU fans.

They went on and on about how they thought ISU fans thought KXNO and the hosts are anti-ISU. I don’t think KXNO or Ken Miller are anti-ISU. I don’t think Deace and Miller are anti-ISU. I don’t want to speak for Cyclone fans so correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know a single one that feels that KXNO or any of the hosts (other than Giggles) is anti-ISU.

And I’m not necessarily sure Giggles is anti-ISU either, maybe on certain days but not in general. People aren’t upset with Matt because he’s “telling it like it is” and crap like that. The ones I know are upset with giggles because he makes stuff up like the Hoiberg issue from last week and he is just altogether a jerk on air. I don’t think this reflects poorly on any other host or KXNO, other than the fact that they continue to employ him. I just thought they were off base yesterday in their assessment of ISU fans and their perception of the station. I was wondering if anybody else was thinking the same thing or if I’m off base at all.
    Yeah - I really don't see much of the negativity regarding Giggles carry over to Ken or the rest of the station.

The only thing that comes close is the handful of people who really dislike Jon. And even then, I don't think many consider Jon overtly anti-ISU, just sees the world through his black and gold glasses, which is understandable. Jon has a stake in many of the conversations. And even so, his entire KXNO career hasn't produced as much anti-ISU rhetoric as Giggles as laid out in the last 3 months.

Ken has taken plenty of swipes, particularly JP over recent months/years. I don't agree with many, or even most, of his takes on the subject. But I think much of what he's getting blamed for recently isn't his doing, but rather he's getting sucked in by his partner.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 06-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

I rarely get involved in the "critiquing the radio hosts" threads because generally, they are silly. It includes one snippet of a segment and gets blown out of proportion. In addition, part of the host's job is to get people to listen and/or call. Controversy does that generally.

However, the segment last week regarding the Brackins draft party and Hoiberg being there was one of the worst, dumbest and most off-base segments I've ever heard. I don't know if these two are anti-ISU, were bored on a summer afternoon or simply are anti-common sense.

Ironically, it was the first time I tuned into KXNO for months. I think the last time was when Hoiberg was announced as the new coach on air. I just have not found it interesting. Granted, it is summer and the NBA/MLB don't whip me into a frenzy - but I usually listened.

I guess I don't like the content nor do I think the pairings work.

Keep in mind though, it's usually very easy to sound anti-ISU. We're not strong in FB or MBB and we were a pubic hair away from becoming completely irrelevant as our conference nearly disintegrated. These things are not "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" types of discussions.

Now tack on the fact that we will play 6 south teams every year in football and only 3 north teams (and our disparity in record between the two is well documented) and it's easy to be doom/gloom. I personally welcome the challenge but I also understand it will be as much fun as a root canal at times.

At first I thought people were hard on MattP. I have generally gravitated toward - I can't wait for the tool to move onto another market. As much as I'm not a fan of Steve, at least on most days he can form a rational thought and has something to back it up. The afternoon show has grown into diarehha of the mouth. Matt seems to get off on riling up the folks here, ISU fans voice their displeasure, Matt appears to love reading it and the cycle continues.

I'll never trust a word Ken says to me ever again and I'll leave it at that.

By nature, people will hate Jon simply because he's a Hawk. The short-sighted can't see past it or listen to the actual words. IMO, he's one of the better ones at the station (speaking of the full-time folks) and conducts a very good interview. But, anti-Hawk perception rules the day.

This market, while having passionate sports fans, does not have enough to support the big names. Great hosts don't have to start senseless controversy to get people to listen, people just tune in because these guys are great at their jobs. The great hosts are not going to come here. You get what you pay for.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

FWIW, I think the best possible show would be Chris and Jon. Two guys that love their respective programs, good knowledge, great connections, level headed (aka, can talk intelligently about their rival) and once in a while enjoy ribbing the rival for fun.

At times, bring in folks for an entire show or hour as guests. Club presidents, former athletes, fans, etc.

Put that on at 4pm. I don't care what ya do with the rest, it can be dead air for all I care.