Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

VHS to DVD

I've been thinking lately about converting my parents' VHS collection to DVD, and was wondering if anyone has experience with doing this. Both my desktop and laptop are capable of burning DVD-R and DVD+R (I've read that DVD-R is compatible with more DVD players, though), so I have the hardware needed for the actual burning of the DVDs. So, basically, does anyone have a reasonably inexpensive way of recording the video from a VHS to my computer, and then getting it onto a DVD (i.e. software, or hardware needed)? I'm guessing I'll need an A/V to USB cable for going from a VCR to my computer for starters...

Thanks in advance!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 149

Re: VHS to DVD

Quote Originally Posted by j_crow View Post
    I've been thinking lately about converting my parents' VHS collection to DVD, and was wondering if anyone has experience with doing this. Both my desktop and laptop are capable of burning DVD-R and DVD+R (I've read that DVD-R is compatible with more DVD players, though), so I have the hardware needed for the actual burning of the DVDs. So, basically, does anyone have a reasonably inexpensive way of recording the video from a VHS to my computer, and then getting it onto a DVD (i.e. software, or hardware needed)? I'm guessing I'll need an A/V to USB cable for going from a VCR to my computer for starters...

Thanks in advance!
    I've done this about every which way over the years. I used to have a cheap USB thingy that plugged directly into the VCR, but apparently USB wasn't fast enough because the audio and video always ended up badly out of sync.

A fairly easy way is if you have a digital camcorder. You can record directly from the VHS onto that, then import into your computer via Firewire. The drawback here is if your digcam runs on tape you may only be able to do 1-2 hours at a time.

So where am I going with this? Well, it's not the prettiest, but the EASIEST way I've found was to drop $60 on a VHS/DVD combo recorder on eBay. Touch one button, copies entire tape to DVD. You can either leave it that way OR then you can take that DVD, rip it onto your computer from your DVD drive and then edit however you want (take out commercials and whatnot).

Clear as mud?

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

I also have been wondering how to go about this. I've got a bunch of VHS that are just taking up way too much space and I'd like to convert them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 268

Do it now before the VHS player conks out. I converted super 8s/VHS/Beta to an external hard drive and then handed out various hard drives as gifts.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I've done this about every which way over the years. I used to have a cheap USB thingy that plugged directly into the VCR, but apparently USB wasn't fast enough because the audio and video always ended up badly out of sync.

A fairly easy way is if you have a digital camcorder. You can record directly from the VHS onto that, then import into your computer via Firewire. The drawback here is if your digcam runs on tape you may only be able to do 1-2 hours at a time.

So where am I going with this? Well, it's not the prettiest, but the EASIEST way I've found was to drop $60 on a VHS/DVD combo recorder on eBay. Touch one button, copies entire tape to DVD. You can either leave it that way OR then you can take that DVD, rip it onto your computer from your DVD drive and then edit however you want (take out commercials and whatnot).

Clear as mud?
    My camcorder lets me input via composite and output to a computer via firewire. Then you can just use some video capture software from there.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 908
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 46

Clear as mud?
    That's what I did. I was tired of wasting time screwing around with the computer, so I just bought a VHS/DVD combo and hit the button. Worked great for old ISU games on tape. Not that it would have been difficult to do it with the computer, just that the VCR/DVD machine made it so much easier and quicker. Then once its on the DVD, its a lot quicker to rip it onto the computer if you want the files. Also the combo machine had a firewire/1394 so I could plug the old camcorder into it and transfer that way also (which of course you can also do with the PC).

Walk On
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I agree with previous poster. Buy a VHS/DVD Recorder Combo for under $100 and just hit one button.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    My camcorder lets me input via composite and output to a computer via firewire. Then you can just use some video capture software from there.
    Yeah, some of them will let you pass straight through without the additional step of recording onto the camcorder tape, but mine wouldn't.

If you have Windows it comes with a free Movie Maker program. It's not the most functional thing in the world but I've found it pretty darn easy to use.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Unfortunately, I don't have a camcorder, but maybe I could find someone that does and borrow it for a while. As far as the VHS/DVD recorder hardware, I was hoping to keep my fixed costs a little lower than that, but that's something I'll definitely look in to...the convenience factor would be nice.

Does anybody that's done this the computer route have any suggestions on video capture software? I'm fairly computer-savvy, but I've never done anything with video editing, etc. before.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you have Windows it comes with a free Movie Maker program. It's not the most functional thing in the world but I've found it pretty darn easy to use.
    Windows DVD Maker?

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brycy View Post
    I agree with previous poster. Buy a VHS/DVD Recorder Combo for under $100 and just hit one button.
    You got to make sure it is a recorder though and not just a combination player. I got one a few years ago and they were still in the 300 dollar range.I believe it was a Sansui and the VHS player/recorder quit before I barely used it so I ended up with a high priced dvd player/recorder.I suggest if you've got old vhs tapes that if you get one of these clean and de-magnitize (if you can still find them)very frequently to avoid getting tapes "eaten."

Clone4ever

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by j_crow View Post

Thanks in advance!
    It depends on how many tapes you want to convert. If you have more than 5 or 6 the best way to do it is to buy a dvd recorder. They are'nt that pricey and all you do is hook the outputs from the vcr into the rec inputs on the dvd recorder. Start the vcr put a recordable dvd in the dvd player and hit record.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 47

I got a magnavox DVD recorder 3-4 years back for just under $100. That's probably the easiest and least expensive way to go.

it did come with a 80+ page instruction manual that was a litle intimidating. Ive recorded lots of stuff that way. keep this in mind though....much like a vcr, the longer you record on the dvd recorder the lower the quality gets. 2 hours recording tops is about all you want to do with that thing.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    I got a magnavox DVD recorder 3-4 years back for just under $100. That's probably the easiest and least expensive way to go.

it did come with a 80+ page instruction manual that was a litle intimidating. Ive recorded lots of stuff that way. keep this in mind though....much like a vcr, the longer you record on the dvd recorder the lower the quality gets. 2 hours recording tops is about all you want to do with that thing.
    Yeah, most of the dvd recorders will let you record up to 8 or 10 hours on one DVD, but if you want to have a quality picture set it to the 2 hour mode.