Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

ISU measuring success, Chris & Deace

I listened a little bit to their show this morning. ISU has a tough road ahead of them in football, but I don't want to see them take the approach drop Iowa pick up 3 patsies(borderline FCS schools) and then hope to go 3-6 in the conference to get to 6 wins and play a lousy opponent in a bowl(like Minnesota last year) and make that the measuring stick for your program.

I want to make sure I make this clear what I am saying, Paul Rhodes did last year in the first year was an accomplishment, but beating a hapless Minnesota team at the end of the year is not. The Insight Bowl was a nice destination, but beating Minny was not an accomplishment.

I would rather see ISU win some quality games during the year like Nebraska last year then hope you can find 6 patsies.

ISU will be borderline irrelevant in this state if they avoid Iowa, go 6-6 and beat 6 nobodys go to a minor bowl or not. ISU will seem like its in a MWC or Conference USA if they avoid playing Iowa and beat 6 patsies. This will increase the Iowa coverage and fan base discrepancy in this state. Making it harder for Rhodes to win any recruiting battles in this state.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 12

Re: ISU measuring success, Chris & Deace

Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    I listened a little bit to their show this morning. ISU has a tough road ahead of them in football, but I don't want to see them take the approach drop Iowa pick up 3 patsies(borderline FCS schools) and then hope to go 3-6 in the conference to get to 6 wins and play a lousy opponent in a bowl(like Minnesota last year) and make that the measuring stick for your program.

I want to make sure I make this clear what I am saying, Paul Rhodes did last year in the first year was an accomplishment, but beating a hapless Minnesota team at the end of the year is not. The Insight Bowl was a nice destination, but beating Minny was not an accomplishment.

I would rather see ISU win some quality games during the year like Nebraska last year then hope you can find 6 patsies.

ISU will be borderline irrelevant in this state if they avoid Iowa, go 6-6 and beat 6 nobodys go to a minor bowl or not. ISU will seem like its in a MWC or Conference USA if they avoid playing Iowa and beat 6 patsies. This will increase the Iowa coverage and fan base discrepancy in this state. Making it harder for Rhodes to win any recruiting battles in this state.

Two things;

1. The Bill Snyder approach built up KSU so that at their peak they were beating good teams.

2. We'll be playing Iowa for the forseeable future and even guys like me who want to end the series get this.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

To be the best, you have to beat the best. We are never going to get better if our level of competition gets worse. There is something to be said for winning, and I'm not saying that our preseason should be a suicide gauntlet, but I just can't see the benefit to choosing an easier path at this point. Let's earn the respect.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

I agree with most except this.

Any bowl win with the scraps CPR had to work with was an accomplishment.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

I disagree with everything you said. Play 2 absolute cupcakes and Iowa OOC. Find the worst MAC, WAC, or Sun Belt teams to play. Further, never go on the road OOC unless it is at Iowa. We are already playing a tougher schedule simply by adding another B12 game.

Look around the country at the big boys OOC schedules. They are not more difficult than ISU's and most are easier. ISU has no business scheduling the most difficult schedule in the nation.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

In CPR's very first year he goes to a bowl game that, from a prestige standpoint, we havent been to in 10 years and beats a BIG 10 team and you say that is not an accomplishment. I'm so glad you arent my father.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The Iowa game just got more important for ISU. I know people won't like to hear that but it did. Our conference slate just got a lot tougher. We now play Texas, aTm, OU, OSU, and TT every year intstead of splitting them up. Take a look at our record against those teams and that spells trouble. Throw in that the Iowa game will remain one of our non conference games and it becomes a must win game for us to go bowling or have a shot at a good bowl. A loss against iowa will put us behind the eight ball with only three non con games.
    The TT game is also very important over the next two years. We have to help make that coaching change a big mistake. If we beat them this year and next, it helps set us up for when we play them every year and also helps our Texas recruiting.
    I am torn on hoping aTm has a revival and becomes competitive. On one hand, we can be competitive with them. On the other hand, if they are successful, they give Texas a run and really bring Texas down a notch making both programs tough but beatable
    When it comes down to it, our conference slate just got tougher. We play more South teams more often which has not been good for us in the past. We will need to take advantage right now and win our non conference games to be successful long term.
    BTW- All the people crying about how travel would increase if we went Big East, should note that we will be traveling to Texas a lot more with the 10 team conference. Our travel time just increased and we never play well when we travle long distance. NEVER!

"Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    To be the best, you have to beat the best. We are never going to get better if our level of competition gets worse. There is something to be said for winning, and I'm not saying that our preseason should be a suicide gauntlet, but I just can't see the benefit to choosing an easier path at this point. Let's earn the respect.
    Ask Colorado how that has worked for them. I am sorry but scheduling Iowa and two cupcakes plus our conference schedule still makes for a damn tough schedule. You do realize we will be playing OSU, OU, Texas, aTm, and TT every year in the near future. Not to mention Missouri, KU who have been BCS bowl caliber teams recently.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Ask Colorado how that has worked for them.
    And Fresno State.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Ask Minnesota how the scheduling patsies works out. There is no one formula for building success.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Nick-I don't mean to say the two teams outside of Iowa have be tough. They can be MAC teams but they can't run away from Iowa, because if they run away from that game and schedule all patsies they will still be irrelevant in this market only winning 6 games. And if they are winning 8 games they need to play that and show they can compete against Iowa.

Palmer-Again, I want to be clear. The season was an accomplishment for Paul Rhodes and his whole first year grade is. I was just saying Minny was terrible and didn't belong in a bowl game. There were better teams with sub .500 records.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

it is not who you schedule...it is what the coach in charge does with it.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Ask Minnesota how the scheduling patsies works out. There is no one formula for building success.
    I guess, I see playing OSU, Texas, TT, aTm, OU, and Iowa every year is pretty difficult and more difficult than most teams will play. Getting bowl eligible with those schools on your schedule is an accomplishment. You lose all of those games and that means you have to sweep the rest of the Big 12 as well as your non conference.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

Here is what I think. If you are good, you will be good. If you are good you will beat some of those good teams. If you're bad, you will lose to some of those patsies. There are just as many examples of bad teams trying to build through patsies and being embarrassed as there are of that strategy actually working.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Nick-I don't mean to say the two teams outside of Iowa have be tough. They can be MAC teams but they can't run away from Iowa, because if they run away from that game and schedule all patsies they will still be irrelevant in this market only winning 6 games. And if they are winning 8 games they need to play that and show they can compete against Iowa.

Palmer-Again, I want to be clear. The season was an accomplishment for Paul Rhodes and his whole first year grade is. I was just saying Minny was terrible and didn't belong in a bowl game. There were better teams with sub .500 records.
    Run away from Iowa? Like not playing Iowa? That is not going to happen! We ARE going to play Iowa. It is not even an option.