Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 173

Fitness/Health Questions

I know there are a couple health-conscious people on here. I'm working on getting back into half-marathon shape after a 4 year hiatus. Besides running, a big part of that is working off the "ex college O-lineman weight" that magically appeared back on my midsection when I quit running.

ANyway, a few questions-
    1) Trying to find the right foods/amounts of food to have energy to complete longer (5+miles) runs while also optimizing weight loss has been a challenge. ANy suggestions?
    2) Probably going to grab a garmin forerunner 205 watch to track my runs. I've been spending too much time mapping them out ahead of time. Anyone have any positive/negative reviews of them
    3) Been lifting 2 days a week. Higher reps with lower weight. Varies from 6x8 all the way up to 2x25. Need some guidance here. Have been doing: Bench, squat, hang clean, and straight leg dead lift. Curls when I'm in the mood.

Thanks for the help. Curious to hear what has/hasn't worked for others

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 25

Re: Fitness/Health Questions

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    2) Probably going to grab a garmin forerunner 205 watch to track my runs. I've been spending too much time mapping them out ahead of time. Anyone have any positive/negative reviews of them
    How were you doing this? Mapmyrun.com has been one of the best free tools I've ever found. Keeps track of all my running/biking, gives me a calorie counter, and I can look back and see my past workouts.

I'm training for a marathon, and food-wise, I really haven't changed my diet much, just the amount of food I eat. I still eat French fries and stuff like that, but make them in the oven instead of deep fat fryer, and eat a little less.

Last edited by IcSyU; 06-29-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I know there are a couple health-conscious people on here. I'm working on getting back into half-marathon shape after a 4 year hiatus. Besides running, a big part of that is working off the "ex college O-lineman weight" that magically appeared back on my midsection when I quit running.

ANyway, a few questions-
    1) Trying to find the right foods/amounts of food to have energy to complete longer (5+miles) runs while also optimizing weight loss has been a challenge. ANy suggestions?
    3) Been lifting 2 days a week. Higher reps with lower weight. Varies from 6x8 all the way up to 2x25. Need some guidance here. Have been doing: Bench, squat, hang clean, and straight leg dead lift. Curls when I'm in the mood.

I'm into my third summer with my 205 and have run over 850 miles with it. I still think it was a tremendous investment. I used to stick to a few routes that I had measured with my car so I knew how far I had gone, but like you said, it seemed like a lot of work. Now I can fire it up and run anywhere. It's also handy when you're travelling since it has a (crude but useful) map function that can get you back to your starting point. That pacing function is also great since you can just glance down a see how you're doing. It's been through rain and a lot of sweat with no issues.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    How were you doing this? Mapmyrun.com has been one of the best free tools I've ever found. Keeps track of all my running/biking, gives me a calorie counter, and I can look back and see my past workouts.

I'm training for a marathon, and food-wise, I really haven't changed my diet much, just the amount of food I eat. I still eat French fries and stuff like that, but make them in the oven instead of deep fat fryer, and eat a little less.
    Have been using Gmaps pedometer.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

You forgot to mention that you're college age, once the body hits about 26-27 range the metabolism goes down hill.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    You forgot to mention that you're college age, once the body hits about 26-27 range the metabolism goes down hill.
    Which is exactly what I'm finding out!

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Running nutrition is a tough call. It somewhat depends on what cardio shape you are in and where you are trying to run. If you're doing any sort of reasonable cardio (>70% max heart rate), you're going to need carbs to keep going, regardless. Less than that, and your body can use fat as it's primary source of energy. If you're just trying to get the muscles and legs used to it, don't make your long runs too strenuous and that will help somewhat with the nutrition part. I've found when I slow down and keep my heart rate lower, the long runs become a lot more do-able without having to pound down a bunch of calories to keep my body supplied with carbs. This is, of course, counter-productive to weight loss - I'd rather be burning excess calories stored away than having to supply myself with more to keep going, even if it means I'm going to be in better shape cardio-wise when I'm done.

Weight loss is more a function of diet than it is exercise. So if you're trying to improve performance, while losing weight, there's a line to be walked between proper nutrition for performance, and proper diet for weight loss. Running will help this goal, but the serious gains to be made in weight loss comes from proper caloric intake to support it.

So, in short, I like to run at least half of my long runs at a pretty easy pace that keeps my heart rate below 70%, and then pick it up for the second half and try to get some good cardio out of things before my legs go away.

I have a Garmin 305, and it is awesome! Also picked up the footpod to keep track of cadence as well as be able to use it on the treadmill. Got it at Amazon for 125 shipped (footpod I got on ebay for another 50). Sporttracks (SportTracks) is free, and is way better than the software that ships with the Garmin. Being able to see your heartrate against your pace and distance is an awesome way to see what exactly you're doing to your body when you're out running. It's made a huge difference for me, in terms of being able to judge my fitness levels. It's GREAT for interval training, especially on a track. The autolap feature is simply awesome.

I lift 4 times a week, Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri. Upper body Mon and Thurs, lower on Tue and Fri.

Try to alternate pushing and pulling movements (i.e. Bench press followed by dumbbell rows, or hack squats followed by thigh extensions). Moderate weight (75-80% 1RM) and moderate reps/sets (3-4 sets and no more than 10 or so reps). More reps and less weight will train your muscles more for endurance than strength. If running is the priority, that should probably be your goal.

Also, if you're lifting weights, be SURE you get enough protein in your diet to make a difference! Your body can't build muscle unless it's got the building blocks (Branch Chain Amino Acids) to do it. A high protein meal right after lifting (a protein shake works well for this) is ideal. Make sure you're getting enough protein in general, as well. Lots of fish and chicken and other lean meats. I love cottage cheese, and non-fat cottage cheese (The AE stuff in the light blue container) is a GREAT source of protein.

All that has worked pretty well for me. I'm not a huge distance runner, but I run 15 or so miles a week, and am down 45 lbs or so, and I don't even know how many inches (belly is ALMOST flat again!), since last August. Ran my first "race" ever (the Grand Blue Mile) earlier this year and did a 6'10" mile, which I thought was pretty good considering I couldn't run .25 miles in Nov. Got my 5k down to under 24 mins and now I'm thinking about more distance running next year.

Good luck and hope some of what works for me can help work for you too! I've found this website pretty helpful - Intense Workout - weightlifting, bodybuilding, weight loss, weight gain, routines . There's a lot of good, free advice on there. He's kind of annoying, but I have a hard time arguing with anything he says. It's mostly in regards to weight loss and weight training, but he does talk about cardio a bit.

Again, good luck!

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

My wife is a dietitian at a Hy-Vee store. Most of the stores have them now. Not sure where you are located but set up a 1 on 1 consultation. It will run you about $60 for the hour. She (and most of the other dietitians) can test your resting metabolic rate, talk about your goals, and then customize a meal plan. It is very important to understand your resting metabolic rate if you want weight loss along with your excercise.

And just so you don't think I'm pitching this to personally benefit, my wife gets paid the same whether she does counseling or something else with her time.

Lastly, I think a heartrate monitor is a good investiment as well. You mentioned the Garmin. Garmin might make an all in one heartrate and gps. I can't recall. The heartrate monitor can be set up so that you keep your heartrate in the "fat burning" zone.

PM me if you want to know which store my wife works at. Again, most metro stores have a dietitian.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post

PM me if you want to know which store my wife works at. Again, most metro stores have a dietitian.
    Ya mean she does not work at the Clive Hy Vee?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Ya mean she does not work at the Clive Hy Vee?
    There is no such thing.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    My wife is a dietitian at a Hy-Vee store. Most of the stores have them now. Not sure where you are located but set up a 1 on 1 consultation. It will run you about $60 for the hour. She (and most of the other dietitians) can test your resting metabolic rate, talk about your goals, and then customize a meal plan. It is very important to understand your resting metabolic rate if you want weight loss along with your excercise.

And just so you don't think I'm pitching this to personally benefit, my wife gets paid the same whether she does counseling or something else with her time.

Lastly, I think a heartrate monitor is a good investiment as well. You mentioned the Garmin. Garmin might make an all in one heartrate and gps. I can't recall. The heartrate monitor can be set up so that you keep your heartrate in the "fat burning" zone.

The 305 has a built in heart rate monitor (well you have to put the strap on your chest, but it works with the 305).

Despite what it may sound like, the "fat burning zone" thing is kind of a myth in terms of burning fat. Keeping your heartrate down there DOES burn a higher percentage of fat. That being said, it doesn't burn nearly as many total calories as keeping your heartrate higher does. Although you are burning a lower percentage of fat at a higher heartrate, you're still burning more calories overall, and more actual fat calories overall.

The main reason you would want to keep your heartrate low (for fat loss) is if you can't work out at the same intensity at a higher heartrate (your fitness level is too low). I.e. if you can exercise for 45 minutes at <70%, but only for 20 minutes at >70%, you're better off doing 45 minutes in the "fat burning zone". If you are going to work out for 30 minutes either way, and can keep your heartrate at, say, 85%, you're going to burn more fat than if you stayed in the "fat burning zone".

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 39

ANyway, a few questions-

I have the older generation garmin, it is awesome. Does a great job tracking your runs and giving you pacing info while you are out. Highly recommended.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 188

ANyway, a few questions-

Try 40 by 20's, to develop some stamina.
    Run not jog, not sprint, distance 200 meter in 40 seconds, if your a linemen let 's say 150 meter in 40 seconds, walk for 20 seconds, let see that a whole minute, right.
    Start out with six reps, please, just six reps the add 2 reps each week till you do 16 reps or 16 minutes.
    When you get in shape increase the distance to 200 meters and start all OVER again.

Then go do your weight lifting, do dumbbell step ups , up right rows, wall squat lateral raises, wave squat waves.

If you want more help write back, I'll send you a weight program.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by berther48 View Post
    Try 40 by 20's, to develop some stamina.
    Run not jog, not sprint, distance 200 meter in 40 seconds, if your a linemen let 's say 150 meter in 40 seconds, walk for 20 seconds, let see that a whole minute, right.
    Start out with six reps, please, just six reps the add 2 reps each week till you do 16 reps or 16 minutes.
    When you get in shape increase the distance to 200 meters and start all OVER again.

Then go do your weight lifting, do dumbbell step ups , up right rows, wall squat lateral raises, wave squat waves.

If you want more help write back, I'll send you a weight program.
    That sounds like something I would do if I was just getting started, but I've been at this a couple months and am trying to get into half-marathon shape. While I'm sure that would work fine for getting into shape in general, I don't know that it would be the best in my situation. Maybe something to do 1 or 2 days a week.
    I am interested in a 2-day a week weight program though as a supplement. Be curious to see what you can come up with. I have access to a plethora of free weights.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

To mirror everyone else, Garmin GPS is an awesome training tool.

As for diet, the only way I've been able to consistently and reliably lose weight is to count calories, estimate calories burned every day, and aim for a 500-1000 calorie deficit per day. Here (Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com) is a metabolic rate estimator to get some idea of how many calories you burn every day just doing the basics of staying alive, sitting, sleeping, etc.

As for maintaining performance, it is definitely difficult when you're running a consistent calorie deficit, but I've done better when I consume the majority of my calories within about 3 hours prior to and 2 hours after my workouts.