Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

Debit card POS macines

small drive thru restaurant wants for the drive through and inside counter. How do companies charge? and does anyone have recommendations on who to call for pricing and charges. Any links would be appreciated. Do they charge by the swipe plus a percentage? If a guy makes a buck on a drink, how can you survive giving a company 10-25 cents each cutomer through the lane?

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 7

Re: Debit card POS macines

First Data Commercial Services (Sams Club)

Just as a general idea, don't know if it's any good or typical.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-art...buyers_guide-i

Last edited by simply1; 06-28-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Curious, what do you accept now? I haven't carried any cash on me for the most part for a long time, or checks.

Walk On
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    small drive thru restaurant wants for the drive through and inside counter. How do companies charge? and does anyone have recommendations on who to call for pricing and charges. Any links would be appreciated. Do they charge by the swipe plus a percentage? If a guy makes a buck on a drink, how can you survive giving a company 10-25 cents each cutomer through the lane?
    I work for a 7 store locally owned retail chain as the IT Manager and still at this point we don't do debit. We run everything as credit. Up until a recent release of our POS software it wasn't possible to force certain transactions to be credit versus debit. There is a break even point and for us I think it is somewhere around 17 or 18 dollars. It will cost us around 11k to add debit so we are still holding off as long as we can.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nboltz View Post
    I work for a 7 store locally owned retail chain as the IT Manager and still at this point we don't do debit. We run everything as credit. Up until a recent release of our POS software it wasn't possible to force certain transactions to be credit versus debit. There is a break even point and for us I think it is somewhere around 17 or 18 dollars. It will cost us around 11k to add debit so we are still holding off as long as we can.
    Is that because the minimum % charge for credit versus a set charge for debit?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,124
    Given: 1,011

I think our company pays around 2.5% of the sale for visa/mastercard/discover, higher for American Express. Not sure who we use, but I could find that out fairly easily. (everything is ran through as credit)

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think our company pays around 2.5% of the sale for visa/mastercard/discover, higher for American Express. Not sure who we use, but I could find that out fairly easily. (everything is ran through as credit)
    99 percent of sales will be under 15 dollars. Can I get away without anyone having to sign a receipt? This is a 75percent drive thru business.

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,124
    Given: 1,011

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    99 percent of sales will be under 15 dollars. Can I get away without anyone having to sign a receipt? This is a 75percent drive thru business.
    We have larger tickets on average, so I'm not sure that the percentage I quoted would be valid, as you would have many more transactions. From my understanding, the smaller tickets would not require a signature.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Currently, believe Debit cards are charging less tha credit cards for transactions....At least thats what my wife the boss, told me Saturday, when I ask what she was being charged for Credit card use and Debit card use. Credit card rate used to be 1.5%, but it has raised, thinking .75, to 2.25%... Debit use is a single charge of say 35 Cents per transaction. We get favorable rates.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Prospect
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Do you really need a POS or are you simply looking to swipe debit and credit cards? POS can run you around $26,000 if you want a full POS which lists caller's address, handles inventory, cost management, etc. If you're looking for simple credit / debit transaction there are companies in Iowa (Heartland is one). Also most major banks now for a fee provide debit / credit card processing. The cost will be usually be around 2.5 cents to 4.5 cents on average. There will be additional fees attached, too. These vary. Everything is based on volume. Shop around.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 577
    Given: 232

Debit transaction fees are almost always cheaper than credit. I don't know of a POS machine that assumes that you want to use credit before having to hit "cancel" while going thru a debit transaction first. At best it will let you choose between the two at first but not that often.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

The rates vary depending upon financial institution or processing company. The avg is around .25 to .40 per transaction and a additional 1.5 to 3.5% of sale. It was a huge factor in my pricing a average Drink at my Bar. Example: $3 beer (cash price at bar), take away sales tax in ND 7 1/2%, .30 transaction fee, 2.5% of Sale, I was not getting .60 on a $3 beer purchase that was paid for on a card.

We then started to required a $10 minimum purchase, and offered cash sale discounts. Myself and others have found that cards are not going away anytime soon, so I believe you will see more cash discounts and/or adjusted prices to cover the convenience of using cards for payments. It will be needed to try and stay in business. Some larger companies with larger purchases, now limit the amount (Autos) you can purchase with a card.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these fees are only good for swipe processing, when numbers have to be entered manually fees usually double.

Last edited by coachdags; 06-29-2010 at 12:40 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.H. View Post
    Do you really need a POS or are you simply looking to swipe debit and credit cards? POS can run you around $26,000 if you want a full POS which lists caller's address, handles inventory, cost management, etc. If you're looking for simple credit / debit transaction there are companies in Iowa (Heartland is one). Also most major banks now for a fee provide debit / credit card processing. The cost will be usually be around 2.5 cents to 4.5 cents on average. There will be additional fees attached, too. These vary. Everything is based on volume. Shop around.

I just need simple credit/ debit transactions. This is why I posted my question, I don't even have the terminology down yet.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

What do you have now? Or are you in the process of starting the business and have nothing as of yet?

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
    Currently, believe Debit cards are charging less tha credit cards for transactions....At least thats what my wife the boss, told me Saturday, when I ask what she was being charged for Credit card use and Debit card use. Credit card rate used to be 1.5%, but it has raised, thinking .75, to 2.25%... Debit use is a single charge of say 35 Cents per transaction. We get favorable rates.
    Depending on your industry you may want to shop for better rates I currently pay 1.69% for a in person transaction + transaction fee. Though it sounds to me you are getting a good rate for the debit transactions.