Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 9

Why most Americans don't like soccer.

Instead of fighting about whether soccer is cool or not. Lets just post rational arguments why soccer is not popular in the US.

1. Ties(draws). How can games on soccer's biggest stage be allowed to end in a tie. Little league softball and baseball players would be upset if the game ended in a tie. "Dad why is the game over" .. "Well son we dont want one team to lose after they played a great game"..."But dad one team is supposed to win and the other lose"

2.Shoot-outs. Sure they can be exciting but most fans see them for what they are. A guessing game between goalies. It like ending a baseball game after 12 innings with a home run derby.

3.Flopping. Soccer players really should be doctors, can't even walk off the field one second, and then running full speed the next. This is probably the biggest reason, IMO.

4. FIFA. An irrational totalitarian regime. Enough said.

This is a short list and I would appreciate some additions.

PS Obviously I am not a soccer fan but I would just like this discussion to be about why most Americans don't like soccer.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Why most Americans don't like soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    Instead of fighting about whether soccer is cool or not. Lets just post rational arguments why soccer is not popular in the US.

1. Ties(draws). How can games on soccer's biggest stage be allowed to end in a tie. Little league softball and baseball players would be upset if the game ended in a tie. "Dad why is the game over" .. "Well son we dont want one team to lose after they played a great game"..."But dad one team is supposed to win and the other lose"

2.Shoot-outs. Sure they can be exciting but most fans see them for what they are. A guessing game between goalies. It like ending a baseball game after 12 innings with a home run derby.

3.Flopping. Soccer players really should be doctors, can't even walk off the field one second, and then running full speed the next. This is probably the biggest reason, IMO.

4. FIFA. An irrational totalitarian regime. Enough said.

This is a short list and I would appreciate some additions.

PS Obviously I am not a soccer fan but I would just like this discussion to be about why most Americans don't like soccer.
    The biggest reason is the USA has never come close to winning the world cup -- we hate losers and love to rationalize away sports (i.e. hate) we can't win.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 64

Baseball, basketball, and football have been around longer and supported better hence being for more popular. But there is an increasing amount of popularity in the sport.

Also for kids who are athletically gifted, there are plenty more opportunities to make money in the three listed sports above.

From an audience standpoint, many viewers in the US, who are fringe fans or don't understand that game are the same ones that need to be entertained by easier to understand, more exciting sports....

I do find it rather pathetic, that ones who dont like soccer have to downplay it all the time by preaching the same record over and over... If you dont like it, tahts fine, but i dont know why you have to disrespect those who do like it/enjoy it and the ones who play it.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    The biggest reason is the USA has never come close to winning the world cup -- we hate losers and love to rationalize away sports (i.e. hate) we can't win.
    That would help a little but it would still not even be close to baseball, football, basketball.... imo

That would make the biggest difference once a majority of Americans actually care about the world cup.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Baseball, basketball, and football have been around longer and supported better hence being for more popular. But there is an increasing amount of popularity in the sport.

Also for kids who are athletically gifted, there are plenty more opportunities to make money in the three listed sports above.

From an audience standpoint, many viewers in the US, who are fringe fans or don't understand that game are the same ones that need to be entertained by easier to understand, more exciting sports....

I do find it rather pathetic, that ones who dont like soccer have to downplay it all the time by preaching the same record over and over... If you dont like it, tahts fine, but i dont know why you have to disrespect those who do like it/enjoy it and the ones who play it.
    Im not hating on it, im just trying to point out why it is not as popular here.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 64

Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    Im not hating on it, im just trying to point out why it is not as popular here.
    I wasn't saying you were, my bad, i should have made that clear. But in other threads its clear that a number of posters have to voice there dislike towards the sport constantly.... its rather annoying.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    Even if we did win a World Cup, do you think that would change anything? Would it change how boring games are for great stretches? We won the Olympic gold in hockey in 1980, but did that increase the number of hockey fans? Not by significant numbers.

I watched approximately five minutes of World Cup soccer between two supposedly good teams. One team never attacked. They spent most of the five minutes passing the ball back and forth between themselves at midfield. They even kicked it back to their own goalie a couple of times for a reset, I guess. After five minutes of this, is it any wonder I changed the channel? Yeah, I'm really impressed by your amazing foot control, but do something already.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    I watched approximately five minutes of World Cup soccer between two supposedly good teams. One team never attacked. They spent most of the five minutes passing the ball back and forth between themselves at midfield. They even kicked it back to their own goalie a couple of times for a reset, I guess. After five minutes of this, is it any wonder I changed the channel? Yeah, I'm really impressed by your amazing foot control, but do something already.

I think this is the main thing. One thing we like here in America is that in our sports you are ALWAYS trying to score. Thats why we developed play clocks and shot clocks, to prevent teams from stalling and milking the clock. In soccer you will see teams get a small lead and stall for as many as 70-80 minutes. That's not entertaining to us...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 982
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

let's put it from someone else's perspective:

would baseball, football or nascar be popular in other countries ? People will have preferences. I can enjoy football, baseball, hockey, etc. But some people will never like certain sports and they'll always find certain aspects of those sports that they don't like.

But I can see from cultural perspective that Rebecacy sums it very well: The biggest reason is the USA has never come close to winning the world cup -- we hate losers and love to rationalize away sports (i.e. hate) we can't win.

Evidence: why NBA champions, MLB champions are always called World Champions ?

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post

Are you saying soccer is hard to understand? I find it hard to believe people don't understand it. Now, appreciate the finer points...ok.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 40

No tradition. Baseball is easily as boring, but it's got a strong tradition in this country, love of the game is passed from generation to generation. Soccer doesn't have that and never will in the US. The real question should be why do people who don't like soccer feel like they need to tell everyone that they don't like it. I don't know the answer to that question.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

NASCAR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soccer

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 10

Encroaches on traditional American sports...specifically Baseball (my favorite sport to play).

Takes kids away from baseball/little league.

As an example, I grew up in a town of 750 people. That little town used to be able to put together 4 little league teams. That same town now can barely scrap together a single team due to soccer. Makes me rage.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Encroaches on traditional American sports...specifically Baseball (my favorite sport to play).

Takes kids away from baseball/little league.

As an example, I grew up in a town of 750 people. That little town used to be able to put together 4 little league teams. That same town now can barely scrap together a single team due to soccer. Makes me rage.
    So that means soccer is better because the kids would rather play it right?

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 5

clocks that count the wrong way, no one knows how much time is really left, offsides is a judgement call it seems-the defenseman can just run ahead and make you offsides? flopping, no action, too many guys on too big of a field, stalling, etc