Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 29

What is a true fan?

A comment on another thread has got me really PO'd. Essentially all of us that did not graduate from ISU are not allowed to be true fans and while our participation is appreciated our fanhood is tainted, if we were true fans we would have chosen to get our education from ISU.

I get the hatred for people who are fair weather fans and fans who have never even been to a game and don't contribute anything. And I also understand that there is a special connection when you were a student at the school. I love my alma mater and have great memories but that does not make me less of a die hard ISU fan.

So it got me thinking about what others view as a true fan.

Here is my reasoning for why I believe I am a true fan. Sad that I feel I have to defend why I am.

My parents met as students at ISU in 1968 and in 1971 became married students at ISU. 7 years later I came along. At age 2 I attended my first ISU football game and at age 3 I attended my first ISU basketball game. My family very rarely missed a home football or basketball game and I was more into the games than they were, we never missed an away game in Iowa City or Lincoln either. Many times my dad would get me out of school early so we could make it on time for the weeknight home basketball games. It was very rare for me as a kid to not be seen wearing an ISU sweatshirt, t-shirt, or hat, even through the Walden years. No matter what my Hawk or Husker friends told me as a kid i was a full blown fan and always stuck up for my team. I got the honor to golf as a kid with such ISU greats as Johnny Orr, Tim Floyd, Loren Meyer, and Gene Smith through my dads connections as president of the local cyclone club and through various fund raisers. All of this exposure to ISU growing up turned me into one die hard ISU fan.

As I was nearing my senior year of high school it was pretty clear that my dream of playing football at ISU was going to happen. After I went through the summer camp circuits I had an offer to play football at ISU just before my first game my senior year. Some people told me I was crazy to commit to ISU right away considering it appeared schools like Minnesota, Air Force, and Kansas would be offering too, but ISU was the only choice for me. But as luck would have it a nasty injury in my third game changed my path in life (pretty gory broken arm, hand, and severely dislocated elbow with ligament damage at the same time). When everything was checked out I had a 50/50 chance that my arm would ever get back to full strength due to the severe damage in my elbow (and since I was being recruited as a tight end that would most likely get moved to left tackle a weak left arm was not an option). Through all of this ISU was the only D-1 school that stuck with me when I became a huge question mark, even having my parents call them from the hospital after I had surgery to tell them how it went. I was cleared to play basketball around christmas time but as signing day came closer it was pretty clear that the strength in my arm was not coming back anytime soon. I talked with ISU and coach Loney and I decided it would be best if I was considered an invite walk on. Through all of this I had some scholarship offers to play football at some 1-AA schools and D-2 schools as well as some offers to play basketball at some D-2 schools. I chose to play football at a D-2 school because it offered me the highest scholarship level and they were willing to take more of a risk on me even though my arm was still not up to par even when I reported to camp. It was a very hard day for me and my faimly when I chose not to play at ISU because it was our dream, but i couldn't pass up having school paid for when there was no guarantee that my arm would come back and let me earn a scholly at ISU. While I would have loved to play at ISU things turned out great for me. After a redshirt year to finish healing, my arm came back full strength and i ended up being a 3 1/2 year starter on the O-line and loved every minute of it. I also met my wife along the way so I can't complain.

While in college I also made it to every bowl game ISU was in, no way was I going to miss seeing ISU play in a bowl game after the years I saw as a kid, however it was sad to watch because in the back of my mind i kept thinking I should be out there, but oh well that's life. I also still met up with my dad all the time for home basketball games since that was a tradition for him and I. As well as making it to one of the tourney games of the 99-00 season.

Now that my wife and I have settled in Cental Iowa it makes it very easy for us to make ISU events. We are members of the cyclone club and split the costs of 8 season tickets for football and 4 season tickets for basketball with my parents (they are a much higher level of the cyclone club so their seating options are better than ours), and also split the costs for RV parking pass for football and parking pass for basketball. We also pay for memberships for both of our kids in the little clone club. And this year we are going to be joining the grid iron club. My wife had never even really heard of ISU athletics until she moved here with me but now is a huge fan of ISU and hates to miss a game. And I would hate to see someone make a case that my 4 year old son is not the biggest ISU fan in the world (he just made us make him an ISU room with a large I-State and CY fathead).

Make no mistake we love our alma mater and donate there as well and make it to as many events as we can, nothing will take away the memories we had there.

By no means am I trying to put myself across as an ISU alum, but to say I am not a true ISU sports fan irks me. ISU fans always complain about how we need more numbers and more people to donate but yet some try to belittle the fanhood of those who didn't graduate from ISU. Last I checked ISU was in no spot to have their fans chasing away other fans because they don't think we are worthy of being a true fan. I know of some ISU grads who were never ISU fans or even been to a game before coming to ISU and now these people are supposed to be much bigger fans than I am. I can guarantee you there aren't many people who are my age that have been to as many ISU games as I have. I grew up with ISU as a big part of my life but since I made the decision to go somewhere else with good reason I am supposed to turn in my ISU fan card. I also know that I donate more to ISU athletics than a lot of grads I know.

I know we like to rip on tavern hawks but if ISU is ever going to get where they want financially some people are going to have to come to terms that ISU needs fans who did not attend ISU, and that is a good thing because it means success. Most of us are just as passionate about ISU sports than those who attended ISU.

I guess if the supprt and money I give to ISU athletics is not good enough to some of our fanbase I know there are schools with fanbases to the east and west of us who are more than willing to take money and more fans regardless of what school they attended (wouldn't do that in a million years but you get the point).

I know this is horribly rambling but to say that some of us aren't true fans and our fanhoods are tainted just because we didn't attend ISU is absurd. Iowa fans walk all over the place high fivin and saying go hawks without care of who the other person is. I guess some of our fans will need to see if I have an alumni card before they will give me a high five with a go clones.

End of rant.

Also sorry I didn't know how insanely long this was.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 539

Re: What is a true fan?

You are a true Cyclone in my eyes.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

That was way too long for me to read. So, being that it was so long: you are a true fan in my eyes.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 87

I'm in the same boat with you FarminCy. I do not currently attend Iowa State University but both my father and brother graduated from ISU. All my life I wanted to go to Iowa State. Then I reached high school and I figured that I would would rather have smaller classes. I didn't have to worry about large lecture halls where I would have been another number. I am such a fan of ISU that I would have never gone to the University of Iowa. I did not want my dad rolling around in his grave knowing his youngest son went to Iowa.

I believe that I have made a great decision in deciding where I went to college. I have gained great experiences from going to a smaller college. While I may never call ISU my alma mater that doesn't mean I am not a true fan. I will always support the Cyclones no matter what. Even if that means they have losing seasons in athletics or heaven forbid they had to join a lesser conference. I will always bleed cardinal and gold and try to remain positive about the next season and the players. I wish I could say the same about other members on this board. But then again, I'm not a student of Iowa State University so maybe I don't have that right to.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    A comment on another thread has got me really PO'd. Essentially all of us that did not graduate from ISU are not allowed to be true fans and while our participation is appreciated our fanhood is tainted, if we were true fans we would have chosen to get our education from ISU.

I apologize for not reading your whole post, but this is such a ridiculous idea that it's not really even worth arguing. ISU is not in a position to be turning away anyone who wants to be a Cyclone fan. Just a dumb argument (as it is when people use it against Hawkeye fans).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 17

My dad did not attend ISU, but hes a bigger Cyclone than most students I know.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

I have 2 degrees from EIU, and have always been a Cyclone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

I dont think anyone has said you have to be a graduate of ISU to be a fan. Its a misrepresentation of what people are actually saying.

Starting at the beginning.. What makes me, and i know quite a few other ISU fans hate iowa isnt anything about their school. Its their fanbase. What seems to be my perception is that most of the worst of their fanbase comes from the group that did not attend theat university, and that a much higher proportion of those that actually went to that university tend to be their 'classier' fans. Does this mean that all of their fans that went there are classy fans or that all that didnt go there are douchebags? No, but i think it does tend to skew that way.

Last edited by alarson; 06-24-2010 at 12:22 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

I never have understood why some people think that attending the university makes you a better fan. Support is support whether it's accompanied by a degree or not.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I dont think anyone has said you have to be a graduate of ISU to be a fan. Its a misrepresentation of what people are actually saying.

Starting at the beginning.. What makes me, and i know quite a few other ISU fans hate iowa isnt anything about their school. Its their fanbase. What seems to be my perception is that most of the worst of their fanbase comes from the group that did not attend theat university, and that a much higher proportion of those that actually went to that university tend to be their 'classier' fans. Does this mean that all of their fans that went there are classy fans or that all that didnt go there are doucebags? No, but i think it does tend to skew that way.
    I don't know. See Adam Woodbury thread, page 8. FarminCy pretty much quoted WalkingCy.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 63

You would be classified as a Tavern Clone.

*** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 135

Well I suppose we will let you in our little club if you feel that strongly about it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Doth protest too much?
    I didn't read the whole thing, but if someone got you so fired up that you spent the time to write all that - you let them win.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post

Starting at the beginning.. What makes me, and i know quite a few other ISU fans hate iowa isnt anything about their school. Its their fanbase. What seems to be my perception is that most of the worst of their fanbase comes from the group that did not attend theat university, and that a much higher proportion of those that actually went to that university tend to be their 'classier' fans. Does this mean that all of their fans that went there are classy fans or that all that didnt go there are douchebags? No, but i think it does tend to skew that way.

this.

Last edited by WalkingCY; 06-24-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I stopped reading at paragraph 4. Holy balls