Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 58,649, Level: 75
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CloneState1028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,273
    Points
    58,649
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Common theme on recruits so far...

    Is that most of them have pretty close to college-ready bodies already. Linemen out of HS will almost never be college-ready in size, so Dagel will have some weight to add. However, other than maybe Lampkin, it appears as if our other three commits (Miller, Brackens, Boyd) are all fairly well built for just ending their junior seasons. The commits we have now aren't guys that are very highly touted, but they look to be the part and appear like they will be ready to go from the get go.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 186,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,449
    Points
    186,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 428

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Plus if you build them up and they keep speed up fairly well.. LBs become ends.. DBs become LBs.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 84,656, Level: 90
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,827
    Points
    84,656
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Its nice to have a winning season after a few down years. I think that we dont have to reach for kids as much as we did when we were only winning 2-4 games a year.


    #BEATIOWA

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 24,751, Level: 48
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    isugcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waverly
    Posts
    1,603
    Points
    24,751
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 81

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    I hope the trend going forward is top flight DE's and DT's, and lots of them. If CPR is going to be successful over the long term (and I think he will be) he needs to develop a system that develops and recruits a strong D-line. Easier said than done, I understand, but he wasn't validictorian (sp?) for nothing...



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,689, Level: 96
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,446
    Points
    96,689
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 738
    Given: 166

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by isugcs View Post
    I hope the trend going forward is top flight DE's and DT's, and lots of them. If CPR is going to be successful over the long term (and I think he will be) he needs to develop a system that develops and recruits a strong D-line. Easier said than done, I understand, but he wasn't validictorian (sp?) for nothing...
    Newberry and Maggit would obviously be the DE's that would most likely transform our line in a way that we haven't had in quite some time. Unfortunately I see us having a pretty slim chance at either of them. Everyone asks this every year, but I don't understand why we have such a difficult time finding depth at these positions. Seems we are always in a position to have to move undersized LBs to DE and guys like McDonough who have great size for DE to the inside. Meanwhile, Iowa stockpiles DE and DL year in, year out.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 180,434, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,894
    Points
    180,434
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 728

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    I think that you are mistaken in your initial assumption--these guys do not have "Big 12 ready" bodies. Perhaps Brackens, but Boyd is no more ready to play in the B!@ than AJ Klein was--and Miller is far beyond that point. Just because they have some size doesn't make their strength "B!@ ready" nowadays-especially as either of the latter could wind up on the DL.

    No, if these guys have a "common thread", it's that they don't have a great many impressive offers between them--which simply means that the coaching staff is working hard at doing their homework, and sees something that they like. These guys provide a good faoundation for the recruiting that will go on through the Fall--and hopefully ramp up as the season progresses with some surprising successes!




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    532
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Newberry and Maggit would obviously be the DE's that would most likely transform our line in a way that we haven't had in quite some time. Unfortunately I see us having a pretty slim chance at either of them. Everyone asks this every year, but I don't understand why we have such a difficult time finding depth at these positions. Seems we are always in a position to have to move undersized LBs to DE and guys like McDonough who have great size for DE to the inside. Meanwhile, Iowa stockpiles DE and DL year in, year out.
    Iowa does the standard practice of moving DEs to DT and bigger LBs to the DL. I'm not really certain how you figure that Iowa "stockpiles" at those positions.

    It's true that Iowa typically fields excellent defensive lines. However, a big part of that simply is due to quality coaching and the fact that the coaches place an emphasis on quickness, rather than size, on the DL.

    If you look at ISU, I think that even in recent years ISU has had some pretty good DEs. However, one of the problems is that Chiz also loaded up on really big DTs ... however, very few of those DTs have yet developed according to plan. In fact, that is part of the genius in putting a guy like McDonough at DT ... the guys will be disruptive as heck on the interior because of his quickness and motor. ISU is much better off continuing along the lines of what they're seemingly doing. It will simply take some time for the finished products to perform at the level that the fans might wish for.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 50,211, Level: 69
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYCLNST8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,639
    Points
    50,211
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 598

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by homerHAWKeye777 View Post
    Iowa does the standard practice of moving DEs to DT and bigger LBs to the DL. I'm not really certain how you figure that Iowa "stockpiles" at those positions.

    It's true that Iowa typically fields excellent defensive lines. However, a big part of that simply is due to quality coaching and the fact that the coaches place an emphasis on quickness, rather than size, on the DL.

    If you look at ISU, I think that even in recent years ISU has had some pretty good DEs. However, one of the problems is that Chiz also loaded up on really big DTs ... however, very few of those DTs have yet developed according to plan. In fact, that is part of the genius in putting a guy like McDonough at DT ... the guys will be disruptive as heck on the interior because of his quickness and motor. ISU is much better off continuing along the lines of what they're seemingly doing. It will simply take some time for the finished products to perform at the level that the fans might wish for.

    I'm very anxious to see what Jake M. can do. Good to see he's finally filling out. He looked like he was in on a lot of plays at the spring game. I'm holding out hope that Rony can be a disrupter and draw double teams. That would make such a difference...




  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 216,696, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,451
    Points
    216,696
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 512
    Given: 48

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by homerHAWKeye777 View Post
    Iowa does the standard practice of moving DEs to DT and bigger LBs to the DL. I'm not really certain how you figure that Iowa "stockpiles" at those positions.

    It's true that Iowa typically fields excellent defensive lines. However, a big part of that simply is due to quality coaching and the fact that the coaches place an emphasis on quickness, rather than size, on the DL.

    If you look at ISU, I think that even in recent years ISU has had some pretty good DEs. However, one of the problems is that Chiz also loaded up on really big DTs ... however, very few of those DTs have yet developed according to plan. In fact, that is part of the genius in putting a guy like McDonough at DT ... the guys will be disruptive as heck on the interior because of his quickness and motor. ISU is much better off continuing along the lines of what they're seemingly doing. It will simply take some time for the finished products to perform at the level that the fans might wish for.
    I thought Clayborn and Ballard were both TE's that were converted. Iowa has done a good job of having very large DE's with good quickness. They are complimented by average to even smallish DT's with good quickness. And they have had some really good linebackers with size and speed. Result is penetration and disruption. And the LB's fill the gaps.



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    532
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I thought Clayborn and Ballard were both TE's that were converted. Iowa has done a good job of having very large DE's with good quickness. They are complimented by average to even smallish DT's with good quickness. And they have had some really good linebackers with size and speed. Result is penetration and disruption. And the LB's fill the gaps.
    Ballard was a TE and DE in high school. He originally committed as a TE prospect ... however, right away he requested a move to the DL. He was a big guy from day one and the pace that Iowa's TEs moved at convinced him that he'd be more comfortable playing on the DL.

    As for Clayborn, he was a LB in high school. He may have also played TE in high school too, I don't remember. However, he was recruited at DE from the outset.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,689, Level: 96
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,446
    Points
    96,689
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 738
    Given: 166

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by homerHAWKeye777 View Post
    Iowa does the standard practice of moving DEs to DT and bigger LBs to the DL. I'm not really certain how you figure that Iowa "stockpiles" at those positions.

    It's true that Iowa typically fields excellent defensive lines. However, a big part of that simply is due to quality coaching and the fact that the coaches place an emphasis on quickness, rather than size, on the DL.

    If you look at ISU, I think that even in recent years ISU has had some pretty good DEs. However, one of the problems is that Chiz also loaded up on really big DTs ... however, very few of those DTs have yet developed according to plan. In fact, that is part of the genius in putting a guy like McDonough at DT ... the guys will be disruptive as heck on the interior because of his quickness and motor. ISU is much better off continuing along the lines of what they're seemingly doing. It will simply take some time for the finished products to perform at the level that the fans might wish for.
    Well considering they've always got someone ready to step in when another guy leaves, I'd say that is stockpiling. They added a couple more impressive DEs in the 2010 class that ISU was after. They have had consistently solid DLs throughout Ferentz's tenure. And the LBs they bring in and move to the DL are usually 6'3 or 6'4 with big frames to start. It's been a while since ISU moved a TE to DL too.

    ISU's practice since McCarney has been to move guys who aren't even that big for LB to the DL--Rashawn Parker, Pat Neal, Rosie Maggit and Willie Scott are all 6'2 or smaller and Parker at 250 is the biggest weight-wise. Cleyon Laing is good sized but hasn't played much yet either. There have been a few exceptions--Berryman, Moorehead, Lyle and Taylor for example.

    As for Chiz loading up on really big DTs, who? Woods isn't really big at 5'11. McDonough was a DE. Hasn't played a snap yet. Ruempolhamer is the only other guy Chiz brought in. Johnson and Alburtis were McCarney recruits and are definitely not "really big". Unfortunately, Rhoads hasn't been able to change this yet either. Rony Nelson could be solid but he's a complete unknown as of right now. Brandon Jensen has a chance to grow into a solid interior guy as he's got good size already. The other guy who will get a chance at DE is Lattimer who is still only 6'2 240. Nobody else in the 2010 class was recruited for the DL.

    I'm complementing the Iowa staff for the consistently very good DLs, but ISU has not had the same type of athletes recently to mirror Iowa's philosophies.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 94,251, Level: 95
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,705
    Points
    94,251
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 59

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Well considering they've always got someone ready to step in when another guy leaves, I'd say that is stockpiling. They added a couple more impressive DEs in the 2010 class that ISU was after. They have had consistently solid DLs throughout Ferentz's tenure. And the LBs they bring in and move to the DL are usually 6'3 or 6'4 with big frames to start. It's been a while since ISU moved a TE to DL too.

    ISU's practice since McCarney has been to move guys who aren't even that big for LB to the DL--Rashawn Parker, Pat Neal, Rosie Maggit and Willie Scott are all 6'2 or smaller and Parker at 250 is the biggest weight-wise. Cleyon Laing is good sized but hasn't played much yet either. There have been a few exceptions--Berryman, Moorehead, Lyle and Taylor for example.

    As for Chiz loading up on really big DTs, who? Woods isn't really big at 5'11. McDonough was a DE. Hasn't played a snap yet. Ruempolhamer is the only other guy Chiz brought in. Johnson and Alburtis were McCarney recruits and are definitely not "really big". Unfortunately, Rhoads hasn't been able to change this yet either. Rony Nelson could be solid but he's a complete unknown as of right now. Brandon Jensen has a chance to grow into a solid interior guy as he's got good size already. The other guy who will get a chance at DE is Lattimer who is still only 6'2 240. Nobody else in the 2010 class was recruited for the DL.

    I'm complementing the Iowa staff for the consistently very good DLs, but ISU has not had the same type of athletes recently to mirror Iowa's philosophies.

    Woods was a CPR recruit. He was brought in late after Chizik left. Also, don't forget about Kron. He's a DL/DE all the way...good frame great motor. I do agree that they really need to improve their DL recruiting, both in numbers and in quality. Tough position to recruit for sure. I really hope that they can load up on DL/DEs with this class, but they're starting slow. On the other hand, I think that the OL is in GREAT shape for the future.



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 8,543, Level: 27
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    356
    Points
    8,543
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    I don't think that the current staff has to improve their DL recruiting. Think about it, they weren't given a whole lot of time last year to recruit and it was amazing that they got the guys they did, especially the number of guys they got. And it's still too early (for ISU recruiting standards) this year to say they aren't going after DL prospects. Also, I'm not as worried as most fans that the guys we have won't pan out to be solid D-Linemen.

    What is common for the number of verbals by the end of June for ISU? 6 seems to be a good number to me, but i haven't followed recruiting for very long.



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 8,543, Level: 27
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    356
    Points
    8,543
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Isn't Lattimer a LB? Or did he move to DL? Or am i just completely wrong?



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 84,656, Level: 90
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,827
    Points
    84,656
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

    Re: Common theme on recruits so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by kcclone33 View Post
    Isn't Lattimer a LB? Or did he move to DL? Or am i just completely wrong?
    I had heard that Lattimer was moved to DL, but then after that I think he was still listed at LB on the spring depth chart. One would assume he has a better chance playing at DE, but I really hope Roosey snaps up the starting spot over Neal.


    #BEATIOWA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM