Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

AMP/Receiver Help

I need some help on setting up amp/receiver in a new home theater configuration. I have an older Yamaha RX-v1300 with polk audio speakers and sub woofer. I had never taken them out of their boxes (long story, never set up or run). Now that I have my basement finished I want to get it all set up. I have a plasma tv, media com HD tuner, DVD and VCR. The receiver is old enough that it doesn't have HDMI, either does my mediacom tuner. So, I'm going the route of component video cables and audio cables. To cut to the chase, I hooked everything up going into the receiver and with the tv out as the monitor connections. I have the two main front speakers and center speaker with two speakers in the back, plus subwoofer. It is a 6.1 in other words I can have another back center speaker but don't. I have went through the set up where it asks about large, small ot no speakers and etc. But, I turn on the am/fm and no sound. Turn on the DVD with cd and no sound. I turn on the tv and the tv works and has sound out of the two front speakers and subwoofer. No sound out the center or back???? Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

Re: AMP/Receiver Help

You cannot do 6.1 unless you either hook up an optical/toslink cable or HDMI. Component audio cables only pass 1 channel each.

Do you have an optical rca out? it is usually orange colored.

Last edited by brianhos; 06-23-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

RX-V1300

Looks like you can use the coax or optical.

With seven digital inputs, six fully assignable digital inputs (4 optical and 2 coaxial), the RX-V1300 can accommodate digital sources such as DVD, CD, LC, Cable/Sat, D-TV and MD. Two optical digital outputs assure the finest possible signal leaving the receiver for your other components.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 164

It could be the audio decoder the receiver is set at. Looking at the manual online, try setting it to one of these:
    CONCERT HALL
    CHURCH
    JAZZ CLUB
    ROCK CONCERT
    ENTERTAINMENT

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 308

In addition to what has already been suggested (optical vs. component), I had a receiver that required you to tell it what kind of unit was connected to the optical input (i.e. CD player vs. DVD player vs. whatever else). I had the same problem as you, hooked it all up and no sound. Once I figured out how to "tell" the receiver it was a DVD player hooked up to the optical input rather than a CD player (which was the default) the sound immediately kicked on.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    It could be the audio decoder the receiver is set at. Looking at the manual online, try setting it to one of these:
    CONCERT HALL
    CHURCH
    JAZZ CLUB
    ROCK CONCERT
    ENTERTAINMENT

This would be my guess as well. Have you run the test tones to set speaker levels (it sounds like static moving from one speaker to the next)? On my Yamaha remote it is right next to the arrow keys in the middle. If you have done this and you got sound from each speaker, than it isn't a hardware/setup issue. It is probably one of these sound field settings GenClone referred to. I usually use ProLogic2 for all sources that don't have a 5.1 source. Look for the button in the sound field section of the remote that says like 5.1/6.1.

The other possibility is the settings on the receiver. In the receiver setup menu, along with the setting for speaker size is a setting for number of speakers. Make sure that isn't set to 2!