Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Murph and Andy, KXNO Wake UP!!!

Travis Justice (hawk fan) made some coments that were not checked. He implied NU is going to have a harder time in the Big 10 than they had in the Big 12. You guys as well as Travis kind of agreed that NU will be in for a wake up call by playing in the Big 10 and will lose more games than they anticipate. The fact is, NU has been struggling in the Big 12 the last few years. Last year was the exception. Goodness, check this stuff. The Big 10 is the league that has been losing to MAC teams and never has winning bowl records. The Big 12 north alone is what, 7-1 in bowl games the last two years. geez.

Last edited by cayin; 06-22-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,163
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 38

Re: Murph and Andy, KXNO Wake UP!!!

Why post this here? Why not email them? Strange.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 750
    Given: 1,882

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Travis Justice made some coments that were not checked. He implied NU is going to have a harder time in the Big 10 than they had in the Big 12. You guys as well as Travis kind of agreed that NU will be in for a wake up call by playing in the Big 10 and will lose more games than they anticipate. The fact is, NU has been struggling in the Big 12 the last few years. Last year was the exception. Goodness, check this stuff. The Big 10 is the league that has been losing to MAC teams and never has winning bowl records. The Big 12 north alone is what, 7-1 in bowl games the last two years. geez.

I see nothing wrong with what was said. The reason Nebraska struggled is because of how far back Callahan set that program back. Had Nebraska stayed in the Big 12 I think they would in most years be the class of the North Division. Nebraska will struggle for wins in the Big 10.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,284
    Given: 1,116

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    I see nothing wrong with what was said. The reason Nebraska struggled is because of how far back Callahan set that program back. Had Nebraska stayed in the Big 12 I think they would in most years be the class of the North Division. Nebraska will struggle for wins in the Big 10.
    I'm torn on that. I don't really think they're going to make a big upswing there (or if they had stayed), but in the Big Ten, they still get to play teams like Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue. That ought to be 4 wins right there. MSU is a win they can usually count on. Northwestern----maybe.
    There are plenty of beatable teams in the Big Ten Conference. (And the week they play Iowa will be a phenomenal clash of the fanbases)

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

I'm not one of those people that gets all crazy about conference talk. I don't think NU will do any better in the Big 10 than they will against the Big 12.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 750
    Given: 1,882

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'm torn on that. I don't really think they're going to make a big upswing there (or if they had stayed), but in the Big Ten, they still get to play teams like Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue. That ought to be 4 wins right there. MSU is a win they can usually count on. Northwestern----maybe.
    There are plenty of beatable teams in the Big Ten Conference. (And the week they play Iowa will be a phenomenal clash of the fanbases)

I agree with this. Nebraska will be in the softer of the two Big 10 divisions. But like they were talking about Nebraska fans count on at least 9 wins every year. Getting that number won't be as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Overall the Big 10 sucks...period. On the other hand so does the Big 12 North.

6 one way, half dozen the other.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 510

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    Why post this here? Why not email them? Strange.
    This. Murph and Andy dont waste there time around here like Giggles does.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

I took a look at NU's current roster. They have 26 TX players on the roster, and 13 players from CA. That TX number is much higher than I expected and the CA number is lower than I expected, since it has been reported here from time to time that NU recruits CA heavily, but not TX. I made a post a while back about the number of TX players on Big Ten rosters. The number is generally single digits, and often lower single digits.

I don't know the quality of TX players on NU's roster, but without Big 12 exposure, I would be surprised if NU can maintain 20+ TX players on the roster, and it I think it is reasonable to expect the number to fall in line with the other Big Ten schools.

If that happens, where is NU going to get quality recruits? Are they going to pick up the pace in CA? They only have 5 FL players, so it doesn't look like they push hard down there. Are they going to start fighting in the Big Ten areas, where the Big Ten teams are already established? Are they going to try to be self-sufficient with NE kids? I can easily see them taking a recruiting hit in the near future, which may cause them to struggle.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 06-22-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 530
    Given: 1,076

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I took a look at NU's current roster. They have 26 TX players on the roster, and 13 players from CA. That TX number is much higher than I expected and the CA number is lower than I expected, since it has been reported here from time to time that NU recruits CA heavily, but not TX. I made a post a while back about the number of TX players on Big Ten rosters. The number is generally single digits, and often lower single digits.

I don't know the quality of TX players on NU's roster, but without Big 12 exposure, I would be surprised if they can maintain 20+ TX players on the roster, and it I think it is reasonable to expect the number to fall in line with the other Big Ten schools.

If that happens, where is NU going to get quality recruits? Are they going to pick up the pace in CA? They only have 5 FL players, so it doesn't look like they push hard down there. Are they going to start fighting in the Big Ten areas, where the Big Ten teams are already established? Are they going to try to be self-sufficient with NE kids? I can easily see them taking a recruiting hit in the near future, which may cause them to struggle.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase.

Seriously though, you have a really good point. I think NU is going to have to step it up to keep their talent level where it is.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    I agree with this. Nebraska will be in the softer of the two Big 10 divisions. But like they were talking about Nebraska fans count on at least 9 wins every year. Getting that number won't be as easy.
    The only way they will be in a "softer" division is if Penn St, Ohio St and Michigan are in one division and that won't happen. If anything I think they along with Iowa will be in a tougher division if they are split like this:

Division A:
    Ohio St
    Michigan
    Michigan St
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Northwestern

Division B:
    Penn St
    Nebraska
    Iowa
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Illinois

Or if you flip Wisconsin and Northwestern I don't think either one would be more dominate than the other.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It seems as if everyone is missing what IMO is the post important factor in Nebraska's future success, and that is style of play.

I would like someone to actually put a convincing argument together that The Big 10 is head and shoulders better than the Big 12, top to bottom. And vice versa, I don't think you can say the Big 12 (especially the Big 12 north, sorry) is a harder road than what they will face in the Big 10.

I think Nebraska will suffer because of the Big Ten's style of play. The Big Ten is known for smash mouth football, and that's not BS. Teams play a more physical game, rather than finesse. Even teams like Michigan State are big physical teams. So while one week they may beat MSU, the next week the may lose to Purdue because of the toll that previous week took on them physically. Now when this is going on week after week, depth becomes a huge factor in Big Ten play.

Nebraska does not have the depth that they once had.

You could say, well everyone is dealing with these issues, and you would be correct. But everyone else in the league has been dealing with these issues for years. And even more importantly, a team has to be lucky to have a intact squad in November. And Nebraska will not always be that lucky team.

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

I don't know the quality of TX players on NU's roster, but without Big 12 exposure, I would be surprised if NU can maintain 20+ TX players on the roster, and it I think it is reasonable to expect the number to fall in line with the other Big Ten schools.

I'm in the same boat. I am not going to say that Nebraska is going to lose all TX recruiting ties. IMO NU these past few years has upped their TX recruiting. They were still below UT/OU/ATM, but right on the level with TT and OSU (or slightly above) and definitely above ISU/KU/Mizzou. After they leave the conference, they are going to move down at least one level. Definitely below TT/OSU and likely below ISU/KU/Mizzou...just because those schools will play two games in TX each year while NU plays none. Maybe NU can beat ISU head to head for a TX recruit, but it's going to be a battle for them despite obvious advantages in facilities and tradition.

The same thing goes for CA recruiting. IF the Pac 10 gets their own network up and running and is on TV more out there, they are going to wall off that state for the most part. That will hurt ISU as well. But at least ISU will have their TX connection still running.

I still think that Nebraska will have the ability to displace iowa and Wisconsin as the premier second tier team in that conference, but IMO they better not be expecting 10-2/11-1 if their main recruiting areas are Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by vailianator View Post
    It seems as if everyone is missing what IMO is the post important factor in Nebraska's future success, and that is style of play.

I would like someone to actually put a convincing argument together that The Big 10 is head and shoulders better than the Big 12, top to bottom. And vice versa, I don't think you can say the Big 12 (especially the Big 12 north, sorry) is a harder road than what they will face in the Big 10.

I think Nebraska will suffer because of the Big Ten's style of play. The Big Ten is known for smash mouth football, and that's not BS. Teams play a more physical game, rather than finesse. Even teams like Michigan State are big physical teams. So while one week they may beat MSU, the next week the may lose to Purdue because of the toll that previous week took on them physically. Now when this is going on week after week, depth becomes a huge factor in Big Ten play.

Nebraska does not have the depth that they once had.

You could say, well everyone is dealing with these issues, and you would be correct. But everyone else in the league has been dealing with these issues for years. And even more importantly, a team has to be lucky to have a intact squad in November. And Nebraska will not always be that lucky team.
    I think that style of play plays right in to Nebraska's hands. They couldn't compete trying to stop TT's spread or UT's spread. Even Mizzou and KU gave them fits lately. The Huskers are dying for a return to smash mouth football.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I think that style of play plays right in to Nebraska's hands. They couldn't compete trying to stop TT's spread or UT's spread. Even Mizzou and KU gave them fits lately. The Huskers are dying for a return to smash mouth football.
    Agreed. Also, if speed becomes less of an issue in a smash-mouth style, NU may be able to better utilize in-state talent. It's not that hard to beef up kids and make them strong. It's a bit harder to make them faster.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy