Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Need help: KC metro housing

I know there's a lot of KC-area Fanatics, so I'm hoping you all can help me out. I'll be student-teaching at an elementary school in Leawood, KS this fall (mid-August through mid-October), and need to find an apartment for the 8 weeks I'll be there.

I know where Leawood is, but I can't find even one map showing all the KC suburbs and their boundaries- I have no idea what cities border Leawood, and subsequently I don't know where to look for housing. I know Leawood and Overland Park are high-income areas, and I'm not expecting to find an affordable place there (unless I get lucky on Craigslist), but I'm also hoping to be rather close to the school. Searching chamber of commerce websites has so far proven useless.

Where should I look (or avoid) for housing? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by ornryactor; 06-21-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: Need help: KC metro housing

Olathe, Overland Park, and Lenexa are all close to Leawood and aren't as high rent. Plus you can find apartments in Leawood and OP that are affordable. Olathe and Lenexa are right there as well and aren't as expensive to live in.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I lived here for a little while...it was nice. Price was reasonable but im sure there are cheaper options. I know they had furnished apts when I was there, if you are looking for something like that.

http://www.amli.com/apartments/kansas-city/cambridge-square/

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

Lee's Summitt on the MO side is really nice, has a lot of apartments in the area and is a quick drive down I-435 to Leawood. Another nice area on the KS side is Bonner Springs but I don' know about their apartments but is still a pretty quick drive down I-435 to Leawood.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Lee's Summitt on the MO side is really nice, has a lot of apartments in the area and is a quick drive down I-435 to Leawood. Another nice area on the KS side is Bonner Springs but I don' know about their apartments but is still a pretty quick drive down I-435 to Leawood.
    Bonner Springs would be at least 35 minutes without any traffic

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 23

Leawood borders MO so you might be able to find a place in MO...they're generally cheaper.

The area south of I-435 around Stateline Rd is pretty nice.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bonner Springs is not
    1) Nice
    2) anywhere close to Leawood

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Olathe, Overland Park, and Lenexa are all close to Leawood and aren't as high rent. Plus you can find apartments in Leawood and OP that are affordable. Olathe and Lenexa are right there as well and aren't as expensive to live in.
    Doubt a student teacher would consider apts. in OP or Leawood affordable, unless he looks towards North OP.

The nice parts of Olathe are just about as expensive as OP and Leawood.

Grandview and South Kansas City are right next to Leawood, but AVOID --- bad neighborhoods with really bad drug problems and crime.

Suggestions - If you like the smaller suburban feel and want to be cost conservative - try looking in Belton & Raymore in Missouri. A quick shot to Leawood - 71 to 150. Smaller towns that have all the stores, but are a lot more reasonable. Lee Summit is nice, but the commute can be brutal if you have traditional commute times, though it is better now that the triangle is done, but you are talking about 3/4/5 lanes of traffic bumper to bumper coming and going on 1 435.

If you want to be close to nightlife/action(ie downtown through the plaza) look at apts. around the Mission - North OP area. Are older - but tend to be nice well cared for units. A lot of my single friends that rent, rent in that area. 20-25 minutes to work, 15-20 minutes to the plaza, westport, downtown, etc.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 311

Leawood border Prairie Village, Shawnee is nearby, Overland Park as well as a couple other smaller burbs. Olathe is a little further. Leawood is bordered by State Line Rd on the east, which as the name suggests is the state line.

Lee's Summit is probably the closest "nice" suburb on the MO side to Leawood, pry 20 min. drive. I am sure there are other nice areas too in KC over there but I don't know the area very well to recommend something and there are rough areas as well.

Leawood is a nice area, had lots of isolated flooding lately.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 75

Welcome to the area. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about finding an affordable appartment in that area. While it is true, Johnson County in general and Leawood in particular are very high income areas, I found that rental rates weren't that bad. If you were looking to buy a home, that would be another story.

I see jjisu provided a link to an AMLI property. That would be a great place to start looking, as they have a lot of complexes in this area.

As for general geography, Leawood hugs the state line. To the east is southern KCMO. It isn't a bad area and may have some options that are close and more affordable. West of Leawood is Overland Park. OP is another great place to live. And then west of OP you will hit Shawnee, Lenexa, and Olathe going from north to south. All great options, though your commute will start get get a little bit longer. OP is a suburb of about 180k and Olathe is around 120k, so even though you just live a couple burbs over, you could be looking at a 30 minute drive.

I would try to find an option that will keep you off the freeway. But if you do need to go farther out, I would stick to the Kansas side. The heavy rush on 435 in Johnson County is people coming into the Metcalf and College area or down near 119th. So coming over from Missouri in the morning via the Grandview Triangle and then leaving that way in the evening is a lot more of a pain in the butt than living on the Kansas side. As such, I would avoid going out to someplace like Lee's Summit (though that is a great area to live as well).

My wife actually works in Bonner Springs. It is not a very nice town, and it is an awful drive to the Leawood area.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here, take a look at this for a map with the city limits of all the burbs.

http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/...ansas_city.png

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just stay away from Raytown. It all depends on what you want to pay. KC is super cheap to live, so depending on what your budget is there will be something.
    On rent.com you can put in "Shawnee Mission, KS" and that usually covers the entire JOCO suburbs.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Can you provide any details on where in Leawood the school is located, or how much you are looking to pay in rent?

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Here, take a look at this for a map with the city limits of all the burbs.

http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/...ansas_city.png
    Sweet, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a 100% visual learner, so seeing a nice map like this is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Can you provide any details on where in Leawood the school is located, or how much you are looking to pay in rent?
    It's Mission Trail Elementary School, on the corner of Mission Road and W 133rd Street (13200 Mission Rd). It's pretty far south in Leawood, and about a mile west of State Line.

As for rent, I don't have a set price range. I don't earn money from student-teaching, and I still pay tuition and fees to ISU in addition to living costs. I'm hoping to stay well under $600/month. I'm trying to find out from ISU who the other students are that will be student-teaching in that district, so I can see if they want to share an apartment. For now, though, I can only look for 1-bed/1-bath places. $400-500/month would be spectacular, but I don't really expect to find anything lower than maybe $485. If under $600 is not doable, then I guess I'll readjust my expectations.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Sweet, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a 100% visual learner, so seeing a nice map like this is perfect.

It's Mission Trail Elementary School, on the corner of Mission Road and W 133rd Street (13200 Mission Rd). It's pretty far south in Leawood, and about a mile west of State Line.

As for rent, I don't have a set price range. I don't earn money from student-teaching, and I still pay tuition and fees to ISU in addition to living costs. I'm hoping to stay well under $600/month. I'm trying to find out from ISU who the other students are that will be student-teaching in that district, so I can see if they want to share an apartment. For now, though, I can only look for 1-bed/1-bath places. $400-500/month would be spectacular, but I don't really expect to find anything lower than maybe $485. If under $600 is not doable, then I guess I'll readjust my expectations.
    Try putting an WTR want to rent ad on craigslist and see what responses you get. I might suggest you look for someone who is looking to rent a room out in the area too.