Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Its nice to get some respect

When asked about what Big 12 team would most likely act as a spoilier, ESPN's David Ubben said:

"I think it has to be a team that has a big time game-changer. Iowa State showed it could do it, even without Alexander Robinson in the win over Nebraska last year, and with the brutal schedule it has lined up this year, don't expect Paul Rhoads' team to tolerate losing all the tough ones. ISU will sneak up and beat somebody."

College Football News, who hasn't wrote a positive ISU preview...ever...stated in their article:

"for a team with so much experience returing and so much young talent to work around, a hot start is possible and after last year, nothing less than a bowl game is expected."

It is just nice to hear people say some nice things about ISU football. No they aren't saying we are going to win the North, but that will come. I'm just enjoying being the spoiler for once.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 726
    Given: 1,490

Re: Its nice to get some respect

nothing less than a bowl game is expected? with the toughest schedule in the country?

wow.

I am hoping and routing for a bowl game.. but damn. I love the positive article ... but I am also rooted in realism .... it will be tough road and a bowl game will feel like a BCS title game.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 737
    Given: 92

That CFN quote is huge. That is the type of attitude that our fanbase needs to adopt.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 865
    Given: 414

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    That CFN quote is huge. That is the type of attitude that our fanbase needs to adopt.
    I think so many people have adopted a different definition 'expectation', only including those that they think are almost sure wins. I think an expectation should be the line at where you will be disappointed with if you are below, and happy with if you are above. I dont think you can set that line any lower than a bowl game, because we SHOULD be disappointed if we're sitting at home in december.

Last edited by alarson; 06-19-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    nothing less than a bowl game is expected? with the toughest schedule in the country?

wow.

I am hoping and routing for a bowl game.. but damn. I love the positive article ... but I am also rooted in realism .... it will be tough road and a bowl game will feel like a BCS title game.
    +1

CCG

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 928

This whole "we got the tough rotation" is only going to work for so much longer unless the conference does expand back to 12. We're going to start seeing the tough teams every year, so we might as well start hitching up the pants and expecting wins now, because IMO it's not acceptable to say it's okay to lose to the tough teams every year.

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 228

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    This whole "we got the tough rotation" is only going to work for so much longer unless the conference does expand back to 12. We're going to start seeing the tough teams every year, so we might as well start hitching up the pants and expecting wins now, because IMO it's not acceptable to say it's okay to lose to the tough teams every year.
    Agree, and even if the Big XII does go back to 12 they will only invite schools that can bring something to the table so I don't ever see the schedule getting any easier.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,364
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 4

Is it one of the hardest schedules (or THE hardest schedule) in the nation? Sure.

BUT look, we only beat one of the South teams on the rotation last year. If we can find a way to beat Texas Tech with a new coach and pull off a win against Utah, all things are even.

ALSO, let's not forget that we will get Kansas and Kansas State under different circumstances this year.

Nothing less than a bowl game is certainly my expectation. I see 6 wins on this schedule. Yes, I will be disappointed if we don't. I have a feeling that Jamie Pollard agrees.

Raise the bar. It's the Big damn XII and it's going to get even tougher in a few years. Time to PROVE we belong ON the field.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Bingo. If football team truly arrives, it doesn't matter what is in front of them. They ante up and take the "big boys" out. Not to compare to Iowa, but Hayden Fry's breakout year he had a brutally tough schedule. His non conference had Nebraska, UCLA (ranked 7th) and ISU, which at the time was one team you did not want to play in Sept. They beat UCLA and Nebraska, lost to ISU and went on to win the Big 10. Virginia Tech's breakout year had a brutal schedule too. Florida State used to suck, they would schedule tough teams and broke through, as did Miami. Fresno State would schedule anyone any time anywhere and they won their fair share and got to bowl games. Northwestern's 1995 team had a tough schedule, and they won the conference. Oregon State was a bottom dweller for decades, and they broke out went to a BCS bowl with a relatively tough schedule. They have been decent ever since. Throughout college football history programs that had not been good had a breakthrough with a tough schedule in front of them. Not everyone gets it going by following KSU's chickensh#t model.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 190

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Bingo. If football team truly arrives, it doesn't matter what is in front of them. They ante up and take the "big boys" out. Not to compare to Iowa, but Hayden Fry's breakout year he had a brutally tough schedule. His non conference had Nebraska, UCLA (ranked 7th) and ISU, which at the time was one team you did not want to play in Sept. They beat UCLA and Nebraska, lost to ISU and went on to win the Big 10. Virginia Tech's breakout year had a brutal schedule too. Florida State used to suck, they would schedule tough teams and broke through, as did Miami. Fresno State would schedule anyone any time anywhere and they won their fair share and got to bowl games. Northwestern's 1995 team had a tough schedule, and they won the conference. Oregon State was a bottom dweller for decades, and they broke out went to a BCS bowl with a relatively tough schedule. They have been decent ever since. Throughout college football history programs that had not been good had a breakthrough with a tough schedule in front of them. Not everyone gets it going by following KSU's chickensh#t model.
    Spot on! I would rather face the 'big boys' every year, challenge ourselves in the non-conference & consistently surprise people that State can play ball....I always loved the Fresno State approach - anyone, anywhere, anytime. Recruits like to see that too; why would highly competitive athletes want to shy away from playing top notch programs year in & year out?

It's the settle for mediocrity mentality that has buoyed Cyclone fans for far too long & it has to change. In fact, I believe it is/has changed over the past year & it starts w/the coaches, their expectations for not only themselves but their individual programs & each unique part (coaches, players, trainers, etc) of said program!

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

Not everyone gets it going by following KSU's chickensh#t model.
    Does anyone out there realize that from 1994-2003, KSU only posted 1 conference record that was below 5-3. And in most cases they went 6 and freaking 2. Despite some weak OOC practices, KSU wasnt going 2-6 in conference each year and sneaking into bowl games.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Walk On
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

A quote from my old basketball coach after we lost a conference game we shouldn't have after playing a couple poor, non-conference teams -
    "You become as good as the teams you play."

With the right attitude and approach (and it appears that Coach has a pretty good handle on pounding these into our players), a difficult schedule will help us grow a lot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Does anyone out there realize that from 1994-2003, KSU only posted 1 conference record that was below 5-3. And in most cases they went 6 and freaking 2. Despite some weak OOC practices, KSU wasnt going 2-6 in conference each year and sneaking into bowl games.
    Very true. However, at the time the north was beating up on the south. Also, ksu did schedule USC twice and beat the both times. But, you can't deny scheduling 4 cream puffs in the non conference is pathetic.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 737
    Given: 92

You are exactly right. I still can't understand why some of us believe the basketball program can be a National Power and the football program really can't. I guess I don't see the difference. We should expect both to be competitive on a national level, let alone a conference level. I have nothing wrong with the basketball expectations. In fact, I expect them to challenge in the tournament in the next 2, 3 or 4 years. Like it has been discussed we as fans need to expect more than we have for the past 20 years in football. A bowl isn't good enough for me. Don't get me wrong, the bowl last year was a nice accomplishment but PR has set the bar now. At least to me he has set the bar. I now have seen what that team did and I want that every year. IMO, expecting less than that is starting down the road to mediocrity.

It's all snark from here on out

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

Very true. However, at the time the north was beating up on the south. Also, ksu did schedule USC twice and beat the both times. But, you can't deny scheduling 4 cream puffs in the non conference is pathetic.
    True enough 4 NC wins is great and all, but history (around here) has shown us that doing well OOC and then going 7-5 and not winning the north wasn't good enough.

Even if the south was down, banking on 5-3 at worst for 10 years(2 of which from the B8) is pretty damn solid.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!