Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Defense in the NBA

    For those of you that like to say they never play defense in the NBA, I hope you watched game 7 last night...tremendous defensive effort by both teams.

    I will grant you that the defense during the regular season is pretty hit and miss. But frankly, the defense during the playoffs is really good...especially by the teams that are winning and advancing.

    I really don't watch much NBA during the regular season but I do watch as much of the playoffs as I can because the quality of the players and the play is so tremendous.

    I guess it would be far too much to expect the sort of effort and intensity we saw last night over the entire season...I think they said last night that the game was the 114th of the season for the Lakers...that is a bunch of games for one season.


    Last edited by cyclonenum1; 06-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.

    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  2. #2
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 237,319, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,930
    Points
    237,319
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 629
    Given: 565

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Game 7 is worth watching the NBA. The rest are not. I'd rather have pre season NFL.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 356,543, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,994
    Points
    356,543
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 48

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    For those of you that like to say they never play defense in the NBA, I hope you watched game 7 last night...tremendous defensive effort by both teams.

    I will grant you that the defense during the regular season is pretty hit and miss. But frankly, the defense during the playoffs is really good...especially by the teams that are winning and advancing.

    I really don't watch much NBA during the regular season but I do watch as much of the playoffs as I can because the quality of the players and the play is so tremendous.

    I guess it would be far too much to expect the sort of effort and intensity we saw last night over the entire season...I think they said last night that the game was the 114th of the season for the Lakers...that is a bunch of games for one season.
    I think people underestimate how offensively talented NBA players are. When you watch a Kobe or any "scorer" very seldom do they get "easy" looks." I just think that defense is something that an individual levels off at while offense can always be improved.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 24,006, Level: 47
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Points
    24,006
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    While the defense did play a factor, neither team shot the ball worth a crap. I know you could say that it was due to good defense, but they were missing a lot of wide open looks too.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 168,124, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,510
    Points
    168,124
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 1,165

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I think people underestimate how offensively talented NBA players are. When you watch a Kobe or any "scorer" very seldom do they get "easy" looks." I just think that defense is something that an individual levels off at while offense can always be improved.
    This.

    I've been saying this for a while now. The players are just THAT good on offense.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 649,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,061
    Points
    649,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,666
    Given: 167

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    This.

    I've been saying this for a while now. The players are just THAT good on offense.
    That, and defense doesn't get you shoe endorsements like dropping 40 a game does.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 119,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    119,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    What is this "NBA" of which you speak?



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 34,722, Level: 57
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,216
    Points
    34,722
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 66

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    This.

    I've been saying this for a while now. The players are just THAT good on offense.
    you cant give 1 million percent effort on d every day during the long reg season or you will not have legs in the playoffs... they play great d, and yes the offense is just that good... think of all the best players you watch in college, and around the world on the same floor.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 356,543, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,994
    Points
    356,543
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 48

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    That, and defense doesn't get you shoe endorsements like dropping 40 a game does.
    Dwight Howard is doing a pretty good job basically just playing defense. Ron Artest made a career of defense. Dennis Rodman as well. Dikembe Mutombo.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 649,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,061
    Points
    649,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,666
    Given: 167

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Dwight Howard is doing a pretty good job basically just playing defense. Ron Artest made a career of defense. Dennis Rodman as well. Dikembe Mutombo.
    Nice careers yes, superstars? Household names because of their defense? Probably not.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 168,124, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,510
    Points
    168,124
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 1,165

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Dwight Howard is doing a pretty good job basically just playing defense. Ron Artest made a career of defense. Dennis Rodman as well. Dikembe Mutombo.
    Bruce Bowen.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 356,543, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,994
    Points
    356,543
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 48

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Nice careers yes, superstars? Household names because of their defense? Probably not.
    I would say that Mutombo and Rodman were. I don't know about Howard but I think it is known he hasn't shown a great offensive game and he has made is name through being a beast on the boards and on defense.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 52,343, Level: 70
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    52,343
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

    Re: Defense in the NBA



    Sorry about the change of subject, but take a look at KAJ in the back of the group. He doesn't look very happy does he?



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 649,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,061
    Points
    649,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,666
    Given: 167

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I would say that Mutombo and Rodman were. I don't know about Howard but I think it is known he hasn't shown a great offensive game and he has made is name through being a beast on the boards and on defense.
    Rodman maybe, but it's hard to distinguish between fame from his game and fame from him being a nutjob. Dwight Howard maybe, but if you ask average people about the NBA none of them are going to talk to you about Dwight Howards monster defense.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 16,424, Level: 38
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,086
    Points
    16,424
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense in the NBA

    I don't know why people claim the NBA doesn't play defense. Why do you think slow players can't make it in the NBA even if they are amazing shooters? Because they can't play defense and they can't get their shot off at that level.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM