Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 50

Exercise Question

I'm working on getting in better shape. Am biking about 9 miles ever other day and lifting weights on the off days. My wife thinks I should bike more and lift weights less.

Any opinions?

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Exercise Question

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to lose weight, bike more. If you're trying to build muscle, lift more with high weight and low reps. If you're trying to do both, in general a mix of both will help you out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

expand on what you mean by "better shape." As in, lose weight or get cut?

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 284

Lifting weights will build muscle mass, more muscle mass = higher metabolism.
    Biking and lifting weights are both good forms of exercise, its good to have a balanced exercise routine with both cardio and resistance training. If you want to change it up, try biking at different intensities. Interval training will get you in shape faster and burn more calories faster than just riding a bike for 9 miles at the same speed.
    I don't know how long it takes you to bike 9 miles, but exercising at a very high intensity in intervals will do more for you in a half an hour than riding a bike for a long period of time. Partner that up with a nice resistance exercise routine and you have a good workout.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Lifting is the most important thing. If you are trying to lose weight, cardio really isn't needed you just have to burn more calories than you eat. Cardio helps burn calories, but I would rather just not eat a big mac then have to run 2 hours to burn it off.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 278

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Biking and lifting weights are both good forms of exercise, its good to have a balanced exercise routine with both cardio and resistance training. If you want to change it up, try biking at different intensities. Interval training will get you in shape faster and burn more calories faster than just riding a bike for 9 miles at the same speed.
    I don't know how long it takes you to bike 9 miles, but exercising at a very high intensity in intervals will do more for you in a half an hour than riding a bike for a long period of time. Partner that up with a nice resistance exercise routine and you have a good workout.
    Yes. Definitely interval training.

What are you doing for your weightlifting workouts?

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I weigh 220 and want to get down to 190( on a 6' 1" frame.) That's my main goal and I'm not so worried about having big muscles.

Am watching the diet as well(I'm a little smarter about it now than a few years ago when I successfully did the Atkins diet. Got a lot of bad habits from that system...).

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm a little fuzzy on what you're getting at with inteval training. How does that work? Also can you give a good example of a resistance exercise?

Last edited by Bobber; 06-17-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    Yes. Definitely interval training.

What are you doing for your weightlifting workouts?
    Just starting lifting. I've been biking for about a month now. Mostly upper body work out on machines. 10 reps 3 different times on each machine. I figure good to bike every other day and work on the legs that way and do upperbody on the off days.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I'm a little fuzzy on what you're getting at wiht inteval training. How does that work? Also can you give a good example of a resistance exercise?

Interval training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do interval training on an exercise bike. I go a minute hard then a minute easy/moderate. It'll get you breathing hard.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I'm a little fuzzy on what you're getting at wiht inteval training. How does that work? Also can you give a good example of a resistance exercise?
    Interval training is going hard for short periods, followed by a short period of rest, followed by more intense training, etc.
    i.e. Ride your bike up a steep hill as fast and hard as possible. Coast back down, do it again. Coast back down, do it again. etc. The key with interval training, is it will only work if you do it with high intensity.

I train a lot of football players and when we do interval training, we will run/sprint at a specific speed and a specific incline for anywhere from 6-15 seconds depending on the speed and incline, then they will rest for about 30-60 seconds and do it again. We repeat that for a while, and then change it up. Sometimes during the resting phase, we will do a core workout (sit ups, leg lifts, push ups, etc) to keep the heart rate up. This will bust you in shape and burn more calories than anything.

A good resistance exericse? That would be like your squats, bench press, military press, lat pulldown, etc. For somebody like you, you want to work the largest muscles if possible. So, in other words, stay away from your basic curls, unless you really need them and want to do them. Focus on the larger muscles so that you get a better workout and train more muscle. (you biceps will get worked on your pulling movements anyways, curls are just an auxillary lift that you should do if you have the time and energy when done).

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=cyclonedave25;1775478]Interval training is going hard for short periods, followed by a short period of rest, followed by more intense training, etc.
    i.e. Ride your bike up a steep hill as fast and hard as possible. Coast back down, do it again. Coast back down, do it again. etc. The key with interval training, is it will only work if you do it with high intensity.

I train a lot of football players and when we do interval training, we will run/sprint at a specific speed and a specific incline for anywhere from 6-15 seconds depending on the speed and incline, then they will rest for about 30-60 seconds and do it again. We repeat that for a while, and then change it up. Sometimes during the resting phase, we will do a core workout (sit ups, leg lifts, push ups, etc) to keep the heart rate up. This will bust you in shape and burn more calories than anything.

A good resistance exericse? That would be like your squats, bench press, military press, lat pulldown, etc. For somebody like you, you want to work the largest muscles if possible. So, in other words, stay away from your basic curls, unless you really need them and want to do them. Focus on the larger muscles so that you get a better workout and train more muscle. (you biceps will get worked on your pulling movements anyways, curls are just an auxillary lift that you should do if you have the time and energy when done).[/QUOTE]

So would you suggest a total body workout with less weight, higher reps, and less rest in between sets?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Interval training is going hard for short periods, followed by a short period of rest, followed by more intense training, etc.

A good resistance exericse? That would be like your squats, bench press, military press, lat pulldown, etc. For somebody like you, you want to work the largest muscles if possible. So, in other words, stay away from your basic curls, unless you really need them and want to do them. Focus on the larger muscles so that you get a better workout and train more muscle. (you biceps will get worked on your pulling movements anyways, curls are just an auxillary lift that you should do if you have the time and energy when done).
    Thanks. Sounds like I'm approaching it right mixing biking and lifting weights. I'll try to do more interval work out with the bike.

On the weights, I've been going pretty easy initially. I'm sore enough I think I've been pushing it too hard right off the bat.

Once they start feeling better, Do you suggest lighter weights lifted longer or heavier weights with shorter lift times?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[quote=Cydar;1775484]

A good resistance exericse? That would be like your squats, bench press, military press, lat pulldown, etc. For somebody like you, you want to work the largest muscles if possible. So, in other words, stay away from your basic curls, unless you really need them and want to do them. Focus on the larger muscles so that you get a better workout and train more muscle. (you biceps will get worked on your pulling movements anyways, curls are just an auxillary lift that you should do if you have the time and energy when done).[/QUOTE]

So would you suggest a total body workout with less weight, higher reps, and less rest in between sets?
    It really depends what you're looking for. You can get a good cardio workout by lifting weights, if you keep the rest periods short, move from exercise to exercise, kind of like an intense circuit training.
    For most people looking to burn the calories and get into shape with some definition, I would stick with "lighter" weight and higher reps. Something in the range of 10-15+ reps and 3-4 sets. The weight should be heavy enough so that your last 4-5 reps of each set are moderately difficult.
    Again, it really depends on the person and goals. Total body workouts are fine for the general population just looking to lose some pounds. I would suggest, though, doing an upper body day and a lower body day. Or, if you wanted to lift 3 days, do an upper body "pull" day, an upper body "push" day, and then a lower body day. If you wanted a 4 day workout, then you can modify it even more. It really just depends on your goals.
    No workout should be the exact same for 2 people, it depends on body type, goals, and exercise level.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Very good advice, I agree 100%
    If I had it to do over I probably would start with a personal trainer, as I wasted about a year at the gym before I got things figured out.

Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site.
    A lot of good information here.