NBA and Soccer have a lot in common with flops.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 171

NBA and Soccer have a lot in common with flops.

Kaita's red card could be this World Cup's worst - Dirty Tackle - World SoccerBlog - Yahoo! Sports

This is insane... at least the NBA has a lot more exciting plays per game... 1-0 and the worst flop red card ever... what a joke, and 1 of the many reasons soccer sucks.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 1,089

Re: NBA and Soccer have a lot in common with flops.

That honestly wasn't that bad of a flop. The dude intentionally tried to rake his knee.

Don't watch soccer if it sucks. kthxbye

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

Weak flop. Players in other sports act to draw calls though too. This particular one just happens to make the flopper look like a giant ***** as well.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

I enjoy watching a good soccer match. However, I find it very difficult to watch games involving certain teams (primarily from Europe) because of the excessive flopping. The recent U.S. - England match was really nice to watch because it was a hard-fought and physical game without all of the flopping that would have been seen from, say, the Italian team.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

It is funny, in that in soccer, fans generally look down upon players who flop.

In mbb, flopping is just "heady play" to sell a charge. We practiced flopping in high school.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 221

Whether or not it was a flop by Torosidis, you still can't make that move and expect not to get red. It's like "oh he threw a punch and didn't connect so he shouldn't have been sent off." You don't want to be sent off? then don't make the attempt. and btw the game was 2-1

People ***** and moan in america about there not being a lot of scoring, which is true, but there is a lot more meaningful scoring. In basketball some layup in the 2nd quarter is hardly going to make you leave your chair in amazement. but a goal can make you go NUTS! Plus soccer is a much faster sport. 45 mins STRAIGHT, no commercial breaks until halftime, then another 45 mins STRAIGHT. No stupid commercials or TO's. There is an actual flow to the game rather than in football with tv timeouts, 6 sec plays and 30 seconds off and replays. Knowing the goal could come at any moment and the fact the games are so much shorter. i can deal with going through a game 1-0, but when i waste 3 hours watching a basketball game that turns out to be no "team play" down the stretch and just 1 on 1 with a superstar in the 4th Q sucks too.

You gotta take the good with the bad in any sport and I get why some Americans don't get it. and that's fine, go watch tennis or golf or nascar. Things i find disgustingly boring and i think suck. even the sports like NFL and NBA which interest me are very hard to watch at times with so much of my time being wasted and about 10 million cell phone and beer commercials later...to each their own, I will always love watching soccer. plus i can watch a lot more matches in a day. I've been watching 3 games a day and working an 8-10 hour job without watching at work or taking time off or completely sacrificing the rest of my social life/duties. Try telling me you can do that with 3 baseball games during a work day.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 398

Everyone always try to make the comparison between flopping in the NBA and in soccer, the fact is soccer is much, much worse because its in nearly all soccer leagues. You don't see this kind of stuff in the olympic bball, the only place flopping is really prevelant is in the NBA.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,042
    Given: 11

There is no comparisson between NBA flopping and soccer flopping. I am fine with a little acting job to try to get a foul call. I don't like it, but its part of the game...I understand that. The difference comes with the reactions. Soccer players roll around like they've been stabbed, NBA players get up and yell at referees. There was one play in the Ivory Coast game where a guy got kicked in the bicep area when an opponent attempted a bicycle kick and immediately grabbed his face. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I don't mind watching soccer, but the fake injuries are really what keeps me from really enjoying watching soccer. Soccer fans have tried to explain to me that players fake these injuries to give themselves and their teammates a little rest. This is fine--I can understand that...but instead I'd rather see different rules involving a few more stoppages of play. The flopping and the acting damn near ruins the sport.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 1,089

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    There is no comparisson between NBA flopping and soccer flopping. I am fine with a little acting job to try to get a foul call. I don't like it, but its part of the game...I understand that. The difference comes with the reactions. Soccer players roll around like they've been stabbed, NBA players get up and yell at referees. There was one play in the Ivory Coast game where a guy got kicked in the bicep area when an opponent attempted a bicycle kick and immediately grabbed his face. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I don't mind watching soccer, but the fake injuries are really what keeps me from really enjoying watching soccer. Soccer fans have tried to explain to me that players fake these injuries to give themselves and their teammates a little rest. This is fine--I can understand that...but instead I'd rather see different rules involving a few more stoppages of play. The flopping and the acting damn near ruins the sport.
    And this is why I enjoy watching the English Premier League. A lot less diving than in the Spanish or Italian leagues.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    Everyone always try to make the comparison between flopping in the NBA and in soccer, the fact is soccer is much, much worse because its in nearly all soccer leagues. You don't see this kind of stuff in the olympic bball, the only place flopping is really prevelant is in the NBA.
    Apparently you've never seen a European team playing international basketball, or any Argentina games with Manu Ginobli

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Complete and utter flop, but Kaita probably deserved the red card even if he didn't touch him. You just can't do that.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 221

Quote Originally Posted by CyFever View Post
    Complete and utter flop, but Kaita probably deserved the red card even if he didn't touch him. You just can't do that.
    This. exactly. like I said, just bcuz you throw a punch and it doesn't hit the guy, doesn't mean you shouldn't get sent off for throwing it. Plus they have started to card people for flopping in soccer, so I think we'll see less of it.

I really have no problem with what the player did in the situation. He was doing what is best for his team at this point (it' the WORLD CUP!) and if it was an American soccer player we would have cheered him for getting a player sent off, giving his team a 11 on 10 player advantage, and scoring the deciding goal!

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 171

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    That honestly wasn't that bad of a flop. The dude intentionally tried to rake his knee.

Don't watch soccer if it sucks. kthxbye
    i dont.. i watch usa in world cup every 4 years, thats it. so dont worry. only reason i watch then is because i want to talk trash to my friends from outside the us if we ever win...

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,323
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

Derek Fisher has been doing some epic flopping in the Finals. To the point where it's embarrassing. The Spurs called, said he needs to man up and just play the game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Derek Fisher has been doing some epic flopping in the Finals. To the point where it's embarrassing. The Spurs called, said he needs to man up and just play the game.
    Followed by a text from Duke.

Back to the soccer flopping. I was watching a game the other day and one player went down and acted like his acl exlpoded. They came out and sprayed some WD-40 or something on his knee, then he was up and running around good as new. Does anybody know what this "stuff" is that they spray on players after an "injury"? I had never seen it before, just curious what it actually is and what it is suppose to do.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.