Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Do you think the same could be said in Iowa?

I am as tired of the Big 12 talk as anyone else, but I thought this was a nice article from a local outlet here in OK. I would like to think that Iowa and Iowa State have a similar relationship.

Berry Tramel: Realignment frenzy proves Oklahoma is a state united | NewsOK.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 484

Re: Do you think the same could be said in Iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    I am as tired of the Big 12 talk as anyone else, but I thought this was a nice article from a local outlet here in OK. I would like to think that Iowa and Iowa State have a similar relationship.

If Iowa and ISU were actually in the same conference and/or Iowa was actually in any position to help us out you probably would have seen much more unity. That being said, our situation with Iowa was completely different than OU's and OSU's.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 422
    Given: 43

I don't think that is the case in the state of Iowa. Rumor is that Hawkeye fans were rejoicing and dancing on the grave of ISU when they thought the Big 12 was dead. They would rather see the state of Iowa suffer if it means that ISU suffers as well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 26

Redhawk,

Iowa fans see ISU (athletics and academics) as an impediment to the UofI. Most would love to see the Cyclones dissolve and ISU be consumed as University of Iowa at Ames. Iowa fans want to be the only game in town a la UNL and Wisconsin.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Redhawk,

Iowa fans see ISU (athletics and academics) as an impediment to the UofI. Most would love to see the Cyclones dissolve and ISU be consumed as University of Iowa at Ames. Iowa fans want to be the only game in town a la UNL and Wisconsin.
    Having lived in Oklahoma for a few years, this is exactly the way OU fans view Oklahoma State. Their ONLY game is w/ Texas, they could care less about what happens w/ OSU.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

What is alarming is that the Board of Regents and University of Iowa President Sally Mason did nothing to push for ISU admission into the Big Ten Conference despite the fact that there would be huge benefits to the state as a whole both economically and academically. If anything, the University of Iowa and a majority of the University of Iowa fan base has served more as an opponent than a proponent of the Iowa State University throughout this entire conference realignment process.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PGreen ISU '92 View Post
    What is alarming is that the Board of Regents and University of Iowa President Sally Mason did nothing to push for ISU admission into the Big Ten Conference despite the fact that there would be huge benefits to the state as a whole both economically and academically. If anything, the University of Iowa and a majority of the University of Iowa fan base has served more as an opponent than a proponent of the Iowa State University throughout this entire conference realignment process.

In case you haven't been paying attention for the last 6 months, Mason and Iowa were and are in no position to leverage ISU into the Big 10. Not only that, but it's not even her job to do what's best for Iowa State. But I'm sure I'm just wasting my time typing this because nothing's ever going to convince you that Mason was obligated to do what WASN'T in the best interest for the University of Iowa, you know - the one that IS her university - and vote against accepting Nebraska into the Big 10 because that's in the best interest for Iowa State, you know - the one that's NOT her university...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Redhawk . . I lived in OK from 2003-2007. Here are my observations:

1) The state of Iowa has a strange culture. I call it the "put down" culture. Right now, ISU is the joke or punch line. This is a generational learned behavior. Generations of pro Iowa media have done a great job of selling only ONE school . . Iowa. Not that ISU has performed poorly against Iowa in sports (or any other category) . . . it is just the way it is. Since we have no major professional sports team . . fandom and media have selected the Hawks.

2) Iowa hates ISU and will never support ISU in anything. Even the board of regents find a way to meter back financial support to ISU in favor of Iowa. Both schools are approximately the same size (about 28-29 K) . . . yet, they get the lion's share of cash.

3) Did I mention the media? Let me provide some exxamples: The DSM Register habitually under reports GOOD athletic news for ISU. Conversely, Iowa is their darling. Reporters will flock to Iowa football games . . and do short pieces on ISU while viewing the game on TV. One writer for the Register actually wrote a back handed piece on ISU beating Minnesota (Bowl game) from FLORIDA . . where the Hawks were. Improper headlines, mariginalization, minimization, outright vicious attacks are common against ISU. Maybe it is our Northern European heritage . . who knows but it is really screwed up in this state. Most ISU fans shrug all this off . . but that is part of the problem. The enculturation continues and hawkdom sustains itself.

4) The OU/OSU rivalry is a great example of what it should be all about . . highly competitive schools who respect each other and understand how diversity is a great strength for OK. Yes, I know OU gets a little bit more favorable mention at times BUT push come to shove, they will back each other a 100%. We actually had a large number of hawk fans dancing on ISU's collective grave . . posting their glee on the Register's blog. We have a local radio outlet chatting gleefully about the new NU/Iowa rivalry while playing taps on ISU/Big XII . .they loved it. They even suggested ISU should go down to the next level. BUT HEY, that is the culture of this state.

5) Some ISU fans are starting to wake up and are not taking the CRAP anymore . . their voices are being heard. But we will always have McFlys in our own fandom . . willing to take it with a smile. That number is diminishing especially after this latest fiasco meltdown in the Big XII. I think we all have learned the value of ISU after this goat rope.

Last edited by Madclone1; 06-17-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

In case you haven't been paying attention for the last 6 months, Mason and Iowa were and are in no position to leverage ISU into the Big 10. Not only that, but it's not even her job to do what's best for Iowa State. But I'm sure I'm just wasting my time typing this because nothing's ever going to convince you that Mason was obligated to do what WASN'T in the best interest for the University of Iowa, you know - the one that IS her university - and vote against accepting Nebraska into the Big 10 because that's in the best interest for Iowa State, you know - the one that's NOT her university...
    This is why the Board of Regents (her boss/who she reports to) needs to step in and give her direction (orders).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Thanks for the reasoned response

In all of this, I'm unsure what Iowa officials (specifically Barta and Mason) were supposed to do to get Iowa State into the Big 10. I suppose it's conceivable that they lobbied Delany privately to consider ISU, but the Big 10 had already met with all the members to update them on expansion and who they might target for expansion.
    Voting against Nebraska would have been a poor choice by Mason. A unanimous vote of acceptance was important for perception. It would have been a poor move to tick off the new conference partner to the West by voting against their membership in the league.
    There is a segment of the Iowa fan base that would be happy if ISU had dropped out of a BCS conference, no doubt. But it's the minority. Most I know felt somewhat bad that it could happen, but weren't hoping it would happen. On the other hand, many folks weren't going to lose sleep had it occurred based on some of the perceived pettiness by Pollard in recent year (Cyclone state billboard, single game ticket price for Iowa/ISU game, distribution of revenue for two game). Not saying that he really was being petty, more that it's perceived that way by the Iowa fan base.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Redhawk . . I lived in OK from 2003-2007. Here are my observations:

1) The state of Iowa has a strange culture. I call it the "put down" culture. Right now, ISU is the joke or punch line. This is a generational learned behavior. Generations of pro Iowa media have done a great job of selling only ONE school . . Iowa. Not that ISU has performed poorly against Iowa in sports (or any other category) . . . it is just the way it is. Since we have no major professional sports team . . fandom and media have selected the Hawks.

2) Iowa hates ISU and will never support ISU in anything. Even the board of regents find a way to meter back financial support to ISU in favor of Iowa. Both schools are approximately the same size (about 28-29 K) . . . yet, they get the lion's share of cash.

3) Did I mention the media? Let me provide some exxamples: The DSM Register habitually under reports GOOD athletic news for ISU. Conversely, Iowa is their darling. Reporters will flock to Iowa football games . . and do short pieces on ISU while viewing the game on TV. One writer for the Register actually wrote a back handed piece on ISU beating Minnesota (Bowl game) from FLORIDA . . where the Hawks were. Improper headlines, mariginalization, minimization, outright vicious attacks are common against ISU. Maybe it is our Northern European heritage . . who knows but it is really screwed up in this state. Most ISU fans shrug all this off . . but that is part of the problem. The enculturation continues and hawkdom sustains itself.

4) The OU/OSU rivalry is a great example of what it should be all about . . highly competitive schools who respect each other and understand how diversity is a great strength for OK. Yes, I know OU gets a little bit more favorable mention at times BUT push come to shove, they will back each other a 100%. We actually had a large number of hawk fans dancing on ISU's collective grave . . posting their glee on the Register's blog. We have a local radio outlet chatting gleefully about the new NU/Iowa rivalry while playing taps on ISU/Big XII . .they loved it. They even suggested ISU should go down to the next level. BUT HEY, that is the culture of this state.

5) Some ISU fans are starting to wake up and are not taking the CRAP anymore . . their voices are being heard. But we will always have Marty McFlys in our own fandom . . willing to take it with a smile. That number is diminishing especially after this latest fiasco meltdown in the Big XII. I think we all have learned the value of ISU after this goat rope.
    For all the conspiracy theories and ******** that goes on with Cyclone fans there is only one thing that will cure everything and put it to rest. WIN! Freaking WIN! That's it. Just give the people of Iowa a reason to want to follow and cover our team. All we have to do is WIN and until we can start WINNING, we're going to be relegated to the back page of the D.R., we're going to be thought of as a tep child in our own state, in the BigXII and nationally.

I personally think that all of these people that supposedly hate us are really just tired of waiting for us to start owning some teams in football and b-ball, equals no respect. ISU is primed to be a media darling, get the coverage, get the money from TV, get the exposure and then recruits. But we NEED TO WIN!

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

For all we know, ISU could have been on the initial list of teams that the big 10 was considering, we could have just been the first off of that list as well. For all we know, the University of Iowa could have put/talked ISU on to that first list of teams the big 10 wanted. But it doesn't matter because the rest of the big 10 wanted Nebraska more than ISU.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Thanks for the reasoned response

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerHawki View Post
    In all of this, I'm unsure what Iowa officials (specifically Barta and Mason) were supposed to do to get Iowa State into the Big 10. I suppose it's conceivable that they lobbied Delany privately to consider ISU, but the Big 10 had already met with all the members to update them on expansion and who they might target for expansion.
    Voting against Nebraska would have been a poor choice by Mason. A unanimous vote of acceptance was important for perception. It would have been a poor move to tick off the new conference partner to the West by voting against their membership in the league.
    There is a segment of the Iowa fan base that would be happy if ISU had dropped out of a BCS conference, no doubt. But it's the minority. Most I know felt somewhat bad that it could happen, but weren't hoping it would happen. On the other hand, many folks weren't going to lose sleep had it occurred based on some of the perceived pettiness by Pollard in recent year (Cyclone state billboard, single game ticket price for Iowa/ISU game, distribution of revenue for two game). Not saying that he really was being petty, more that it's perceived that way by the Iowa fan base.
    What nobody ever chooses to consider is that if Mason and Iowa begin doing what everyone on this site suggests and becomes a nuisance in this process (i.e., making verbal threats to "withdraw" or hold up proceedings and or vocally voting against adding Nebraska as a "unity" vote for ISU), they HURT any chance ISU may ever have of getting into the Big 10 because regardless of how anybody really feels about the rivalry, the Big 10 knows Iowa and ISU are allies in this. If Iowa were to become a pest about this, especially when they have no leverage, the rest of the Big 10 presidents could vote to keep ISU out just as a means of ******* Iowa off.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Quote Originally Posted by helechopper View Post
    For all the conspiracy theories and ******** that goes on with Cyclone fans there is only one thing that will cure everything and put it to rest. WIN! Freaking WIN! That's it. Just give the people of Iowa a reason to want to follow and cover our team. All we have to do is WIN and until we can start WINNING, we're going to be relegated to the back page of the D.R., we're going to be thought of as a tep child in our own state, in the BigXII and nationally.

I personally think that all of these people that supposedly hate us are really just tired of waiting for us to start owning some teams in football and b-ball, equals no respect. ISU is primed to be a media darling, get the coverage, get the money from TV, get the exposure and then recruits. But we NEED TO WIN!
    Other than football and wrastlin . . ISU owns the Hawks but still gets very little respect. Conference strength is also an issue.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

If Iowa and ISU were actually in the same conference and/or Iowa was actually in any position to help us out you probably would have seen much more unity. That being said, our situation with Iowa was completely different than OU's and OSU's.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.