Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Consider this; If Notre Dame made the same deal with the Big 10 that Texas did with us do you think the Big Ten would take it? Would the Big Ten member schools turn down the extra 5 million they would get?



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 166,388, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,273
    Points
    166,388
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 744

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    No, yes.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 467,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,596
    Points
    467,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 452
    Given: 307

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    The Big 10 isn't going to offer Notre Dame anything more than equal revenue sharing and the exact same amount of power that everyone else in the conference has. It's becoming more and more abundantly clear that the Big 10 doesn't need Notre Dame - ND needs the Big 10. The Big 10 gets this, either ND doesn't get it or refuses to admit it.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 101,941, Level: 99
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,032
    Points
    101,941
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 172

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The Big 10 isn't going to offer Notre Dame anything more than equal revenue sharing and the exact same amount of power that everyone else in the conference has. It's becoming more and more abundantly clear that the Big 10 doesn't need Notre Dame - ND needs the Big 10. The Big 10 gets this, either ND doesn't get it or refuses to admit it.
    I think it's both. Half of them don't get it, and the ones who do won't admit for fear of being lynched by those who don't get it.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 390,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    56,872
    Points
    390,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 244

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    ND is like the gal that likes to flirt but that is it.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 28,682, Level: 52
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,458
    Points
    28,682
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    If I was Notre Dame and wanted to join a conference - why would the Big 12 not look better than the Big 10?? Un-equal revenue sharing... I mean come on that is the main reason they are staying independent, so they don't have to share. The NCAA gives them NO reason to want to give up their independent status. But if they were forced to.... Big 12 looks pretty good.



  7. #7
    Walk On
    Points: 10,780, Level: 31
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    140
    Points
    10,780
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    After what just transpired in the Big 12 and what continues to happen in the Big 12 is reason enough for every conference to never give any team unequal rights.



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The Big 10 isn't going to offer Notre Dame anything more than equal revenue sharing and the exact same amount of power that everyone else in the conference has. It's becoming more and more abundantly clear that the Big 10 doesn't need Notre Dame - ND needs the Big 10. The Big 10 gets this, either ND doesn't get it or refuses to admit it.
    I disagree. ND doesn't need the big 10. In spite of their struggles, ND is THE national program.

    They are waiting to see if Brian Kelly can get the program turned around.

    And if Kelly gets ND back to prominence, then NBC will back up a truckload of money to their campus. IF they don't, then they make one call to the big 10, and they are in.

    The big 10 will wait for ND as long as they have to. Even if they expand to 16 teams, before ND makes the call. They will still make room for ND. And they will adjust the conference accordingly.


    Last edited by Spursfan11; 06-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 467,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,596
    Points
    467,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 452
    Given: 307

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spursfan11 View Post
    I disagree. ND doesn't need the big 10. In spite of their struggles, ND is THE national program.

    They are waiting to see if Brian Kelly can get the program turned around.

    And if Kelly gets ND back to prominence, then NBC will back up a truckload of money to their campus. IF they don't, then they make one call to the big 10, and they are in.
    The fact that NBC has implied that they wouldn't be heartbroken if their deal with ND were to end tells me that ND's ratings for football games aren't nearly as impressive as everyone claims them to be and also tells me that the claim that "ND is STILL THE national program" is vastly overrated these days.

    By the way - ND made $15 million in TV revenue last year. Indiana made ~$23 million. The big advantage to ND being independent is the fact that ND gets to keep all its BCS money - but when was the last time that happened? UNLESS Kelly gets this thing turned around in a hurry, they are headed for irrelevancy and loss of bargaining power in a hurry.


    Last edited by jdoggivjc; 06-16-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  10. #10
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The fact that NBC has implied that they wouldn't be heartbroken if their deal with ND were to end tells me that ND's ratings for football games aren't nearly as impressive as everyone claims them to be and also tells me that the claim that "ND is STILL THE national program" is vastly overrated these days.

    ND is the history of college football (I am not a fan, and I know this).

    NBC is down because they have struggled. But, and this is the point, if Kelly wins in the next 2-3 years, all of a sudden ND on NBC is again a big deal.

    A mediocre ND team played a bad Michigan team, and they still have gameday there hyping it, and it was nationally televised. Reputation will take you far, and is the very reason that they have what they have.

    NBC is also down because their network is a JOKE, in EVERY facet, and they are losing money like crazy. ND starts winning 10 games, and they will crawl to South Bend on their knees to keep them.

    Because of this, ND can afford to gamble. If they fail, then they make one phone call to Fox letting them know that they might be interested in the big 10, and they will come calling with flowers, chocolates, and jewelry.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 38,028, Level: 60
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    acrozier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In van down by the river!
    Posts
    2,595
    Points
    38,028
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The fact that NBC has implied that they wouldn't be heartbroken if their deal with ND were to end tells me that ND's ratings for football games aren't nearly as impressive as everyone claims them to be and also tells me that the claim that "ND is STILL THE national program" is vastly overrated these days.

    By the way - ND made $15 million in TV revenue last year. Indiana made ~$23 million. The big advantage to ND being independent is the fact that ND gets to keep all its BCS money - but when was the last time that happened? UNLESS Kelly gets this thing turned around in a hurry, they are headed for irrelevancy and loss of bargaining power in a hurry.
    Don't forget to add in the Big East money to the $15 million they get from NBC.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 101,941, Level: 99
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,032
    Points
    101,941
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 172

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The fact that NBC has implied that they wouldn't be heartbroken if their deal with ND were to end tells me that ND's ratings for football games aren't nearly as impressive as everyone claims them to be and also tells me that the claim that "ND is STILL THE national program" is vastly overrated these days.

    By the way - ND made $15 million in TV revenue last year. Indiana made ~$23 million. The big advantage to ND being independent is the fact that ND gets to keep all its BCS money - but when was the last time that happened? UNLESS Kelly gets this thing turned around in a hurry, they are headed for irrelevancy and loss of bargaining power in a hurry.
    This.

    Notre Dame can't afford to stay this low for much longer, or they won't make it back. I actually think that what has happened the past few weeks has taught us that Texas may very well be THE national program right now. They held all the cards, and Notre Dame was on the sidelines, barely an afterthought. Texas was rumored to the Pac-10, Big 10, SEC, and eventually decided to stay put. But they held the nation's undivided attention while they thought about what to do.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 355,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,872
    Points
    355,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    ND is like the gal that likes to flirt but that is it.
    Yeah and she just got out of high school and her looks are going downhill.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  14. #14
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Is Notre Dame going to ask for a Texas type deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    Don't forget to add in the Big East money to the $15 million they get from NBC.

    Shhhh it doesn't fit into the pro hawk, pro big 10 argument these two are trying to make.

    BTW, jdogg, and tm, the school doesn't need any money look at their endowments. And the fact is that they made more in merchandising last year than Indiana will make in 10.

    They aren't stressed about the media money. It is the prestige of having one of the four networks dedicated to broadcasting their games. No other school can make that claim.

    We talk on here that playing games in Texas helps recruiting there. Well ND can say come here, and all of your games will be on NBC.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 467,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,596
    Points
    467,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 452
    Given: 307
    Quote Originally Posted by Spursfan11 View Post
    ND is the history of college football (I am not a fan, and I know this).

    NBC is down because they have struggled. But, and this is the point, if Kelly wins in the next 2-3 years, all of a sudden ND on NBC is again a big deal.

    A mediocre ND team played a bad Michigan team, and they still have gameday there hyping it, and it was nationally televised. Reputation will take you far, and is the very reason that they have what they have.

    NBC is down because their network is a JOKE, in EVERY facet. ND starts winning 10 games, and they will crawl to South Bend on their knees to keep them.

    Because of this, ND can afford to gamble. If they fail, then they make one phone call to Fox letting them know that they might be interested in the big 10, and they will come calling with flowers, chocolates, and jewelry.
    Army and Navy are also the history of collegy football. Seems like nobody cares about them any more.

    Bottom line? ND's place at the table is far from guaranteed. Colleges and the BCS only deal with ND because in the past they've had to. If ND's not going to give anyone a reason to deal with them singlehandedly, which not being relevant for 20 some odd years is a good reason, they'l either have to eat their pride and join a conference or fade into obscurity.

    And yeah, NBC may suck, but if a struggling network like them can't make a winner out of airing ND on TV to the point where they wouldn't be too terribly upset if they lost the ND contract, perhaps its not so much that NBC sucks and more that ND is becoming increasingly irrelevant. I mean, after all, if there ar SOOO many ND fans out there, they'd be willing to watch the Irish play on NBC, even if the broadcast sucked. Hell - ISU fans would watch the Clones play on the MTN, and short of MC22 that's the worst channel we've ever been aired on...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM