Why Is Everyone So Confused/Upset Today ??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why Is Everyone So Confused/Upset Today ??

- This is a 10 team conference. No additional teams will be added.
    - There will not be a conference championship game.
    - There will not be north and south divisions.
    - We will play 9 conference games every year.
    - The 'current' TV deal will pay the same amount through 2012.
    - The 'new' TV deal stating in 2012 will pay ISU $14-$17 million annually. $10 million more than we make now!
    - The new TV contract will be via ESPN/ABC and Fox.
    - There will be HUGE penalties if teams try to leave. So no schools are going anywhere.
    - ISU will not receive any of the NU/CU buyout money. i.e. JP/GG gave up a $2 million one time payment to secure the future of our athletic program AND to gain $10 million annually.

Considering 2 days ago we were praying for the Big East, hoping for the Mtn West, and fearing the MAC... you guys are ******* and moaning about how this turned out?!?! At the risk of sounding like a high school girl: SERIOUSLY???

Prospect
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Why Is Everyone So Confused/Upset Today ??

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCyclone View Post
    - The 'new' TV deal stating in 2012 will pay ISU $14-$17 million annually. $10 million more than we make now!
    - There will be HUGE penalties if teams try to leave. So no schools are going anywhere.
    - ISU will not receive any of the NU/CU buyout money. i.e. JP/GG gave up a $2 million one time payment to secure the future of our athletic program AND to gain $10 million annually.

Considering 2 days ago we were praying for the Big East, hoping for the Mtn West, and fearing the MAC... you guys are ******* and moaning about how this turned out?!?! At the risk of sounding like a high school girl: SERIOUSLY???

Prospect
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bingo!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 1,095

Not so sure about this part.

Rookie
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

UNLESS TEXAS DECIDES DIFFERENTLY ON ANY OF YOUR POINTS ABOVE.

But I do agree that we are in a much better situation - at least temporarily - than we were last week.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - no matter how wrong they may be.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 58

Because there are whiners out there who are scared to play UT and OU every year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 6

I just like to b****. It's way more fun than posting "rational" information full of "facts."

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 47

Uh, there isn't any penalty for teams leaving. I realize they needed to do this but I have a feeling its going to come back and bite us in the *** in the near future. How can you not have the schools sign anything? Thats just dumb.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm in agreement. Beggars can't be choosers and we were the definition of a beggar. Is the road to a bowl tougher? Yep. But I'm far happier with a tougher row to hoe than playing as a midmajor. We'll be fine. Stop ******** and start donating so we are in a better position should this (/ when this) happens again.

For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State all the way.
    Let's go! To show them what the gang's all here for,
    Go! To show them how the Cyclones cheer.
    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State do it right!
    It's time to climb up on the vict'ry wagon,
    Fight! Iowa State, Fight! Fight!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 931

The reason why I'm not happy with this is because there is nothing iron clad in this - Texas is free to change this deal whenever it behooves them because as long as 7 of the 10 members (not including A&M, OU, and UT) are just HAPPY to be in a BCS conference regardless of the terms, Texas is free to say "jump" and the rest of us are going to have to say "how high?"

Am I excited about still being in a BCS conference now that the dust appears to be settling? Of course Am I stoked about the possibilities of the ISU AD pulling in $17mil annually, especially knowing what JP can do on a shoestring budget? Of course. Am I thrilled that ISU is pretty much all but guaranteed having every single football game on TV from now on? Naturally. The problem is none of this is guaranteed. This conference exists as long as it offers Texas the best benefits, so there's no guarantee it's here tomorrow. Which means just because we dodged a gigantic bullet and are still in a BCS conference today does not mean the same thing will be true tomorrow or 5 years from now. Second, that ~$17mil doesn't go into effect until 2012 at the earliest, maybe not until 2015. That's a lot of time to wait, and who says Texas doesn't change the terms before then?

Look, I'm somewhat satisfied (I think that's an appropriate term) that ISU has survived to live another day. But this is even beyond cautiously optimistic - I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and waiting for Texas to once again tell ISU that it's time to jump...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The reason why I'm not happy with this is because there is nothing iron clad in this - Texas is free to change this deal whenever it behooves them because as long as 7 of the 10 members (not including A&M, OU, and UT) are just HAPPY to be in a BCS conference regardless of the terms, Texas is free to say "jump" and the rest of us are going to have to say "how high?"

Am I excited about still being in a BCS conference now that the dust appears to be settling? Of course Am I stoked about the possibilities of the ISU AD pulling in $17mil annually, especially knowing what JP can do on a shoestring budget? Of course. Am I thrilled that ISU is pretty much all but guaranteed having every single football game on TV from now on? Naturally. The problem is none of this is guaranteed. This conference exists as long as it offers Texas the best benefits, so there's no guarantee it's here tomorrow. Which means just because we dodged a gigantic bullet and are still in a BCS conference today does not mean the same thing will be true tomorrow or 5 years from now. Second, that ~$17mil doesn't go into effect until 2012 at the earliest, maybe not until 2015. That's a lot of time to wait, and who says Texas doesn't change the terms before then?

Look, I'm somewhat satisfied (I think that's an appropriate term) that ISU has survived to live another day. But this is even beyond cautiously optimistic - I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and waiting for Texas to once again tell ISU that it's time to jump...

I understand all the concerns but how is it different than what we have had in the past 12 years?? Texas runs the show. The End. Tom Osbourne didnt like it so he left for a better offer. Did ISU have a better offer?? No.

We are in the same boat, the conference could break down at any time but this past few weeks have shown us its ALWAYS been that way. We just didnt know it. All this........and we will make twice as much money.

Add in 2 BCS teams now (maybe) with no championship game, even more money??? We still have work to get better to compete. That hasnt changed and never will change.

Go Cyclones.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 975

Not sure about these parts either.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 975

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

This. This whole post sums up exactly how I felt. I was freaking pumped yesterday when I heard the news that conference would stay together. Then today when Captain *******.... I mean Commissioner Beebe got up there and began talking the story changed. No new tv deal is in hand, there are no buyouts to leave under the new deal as of today, The Axis of Evil/Legion of Doom/Sons of Satan/ or however you want to refer to them (Texas, Texas A&M, and OU) committed outright extortion in taking all of the CU & NU buyout money as a bribe for staying put, etc....

So it seems that the more things change the more they stay the same. This worries me. How can our conference commissioner, university presidents, and AD's sit by and watch the first official acts of the newly configured Big XII Conference be 3 teams holding the other 7 hostage for bribe money or else they kill the whole deal? I was hoping for just a bit more of a showing of solidarity then that. Ouch. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nice summation...pretty much spot on. This is a best possible outcome for ISU.

Listened to Mack Brown on ESPN Radio earlier and I gather that he really likes not having a conference championship game every year to have to hurdle in order to get into the BCS.

His comment was (paraphrasing) "we are pretty much like all other schools...we want to compete and win our league, go to a BCS game, and hopefully play in the BCS Championship game".

Obviously, he hasn't been reading the posts of some here on CF who want to split revenue evenly with everyone, would prefer to play an easier schedule that avoids the 'powerhouse' teams because it is certain we will be pounded, and are just fine and dandy with us just barely getting a low tier bowl invite once every 5 years or so.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.