Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 32,891, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,102
    Points
    32,891
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Winning or losing will not effect how attractive we are to Big Networks. Our limiations are our limitations regardless of record. See Kansas basketball. Or Kstate basketball and a decade ago in football. If we were the only school in the state of Iowa, then yes, see Nebraska, but we are not. So for those saying throw more money toward ISU, it wont matter in the long haul, if teams leave anyway, or even if they dont.

    Now i beleive we can still win games, but i dont beleive that we can become more or less attractive to other conferences. Its not anything that is controlable.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 25,774, Level: 49
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    50325
    Posts
    1,432
    Points
    25,774
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 11

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Winning or losing will not effect how attractive we are to Big Networks. Our limiations are our limitations regardless of record. See Kansas basketball. Or Kstate basketball and a decade ago in football. If we were the only school in the state of Iowa, then yes, see Nebraska, but we are not. So for those saying throw more money toward ISU, it wont matter in the long haul, if teams leave anyway, or even if they dont.

    Now i beleive we can still win games, but i dont beleive that we can become more or less attractive to other conferences. Its not anything that is controlable.
    What are you talking about? If we win three 3 in a row we are the best in that sport, does it matter for other sports no. Look at both volleyball and wrestling, we are near the top and it did not matter in the last debacle as it is all about football and money. But don't run down the other great programs we have just because we are still rebuilding a football program.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 32,891, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,102
    Points
    32,891
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    What are you talking about? If we win three 3 in a row we are the best in that sport, does it matter for other sports no. Look at both volleyball and wrestling, we are near the top and it did not matter in the last debacle as it is all about football and money. But don't run down the other great programs we have just because we are still rebuilding a football program.

    Im not running them down... Im saying winning the national title in FOOTBALL will not make us have more TV sets, which is what they are wanting when looking at expanding. Thats it. Most of Iowans are Hawk fans... we dont even get all the eyes of this small/great state. What im saying is winning doesnt change our location or population that we already split with Iowa.

    I also brought up Kansas basketball because they do win national titles and no one wants them still... i wasnt saying our other sports suck, they dont. I was saying that even if kansas or kstate were winning titles it wouldnt matter in the long run.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,560, Level: 43
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,383
    Points
    20,560
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Im not running them down... Im saying winning the national title in FOOTBALL will not make us have more TV sets, which is what they are wanting when looking at expanding. Thats it. Most of Iowans are Hawk fans... we dont even get all the eyes of this small/great state. What im saying is winning doesnt change our location or population that we already split with Iowa.
    Nebraska doesn't have an appreciable population base either, but decades of winning sure helped them. This is in the wrong forum too by the way, unless you originally were talking about women's basketball championships.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    What are you talking about? If we win three 3 in a row we are the best in that sport, does it matter for other sports no. Look at both volleyball and wrestling, we are near the top and it did not matter in the last debacle as it is all about football and money. But don't run down the other great programs we have just because we are still rebuilding a football program.
    What matters though, is that at this point in time football is THE revenue sport. As such, that is all that matters to conferences. As such, conferences only want teams that bring in a large number of people who would view their games. While winning the national title 3 years in a row would do wonders for ISU football, it would not bring the same kind of bandwagon followers that say...Notre Dame would get if they win even one national title sometime in the next few years.


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 32,891, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,102
    Points
    32,891
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    What matters though, is that at this point in time football is THE revenue sport. As such, that is all that matters to conferences. As such, conferences only want teams that bring in a large number of people who would view their games. While winning the national title 3 years in a row would do wonders for ISU football, it would not bring the same kind of bandwagon followers that say...Notre Dame would get if they win even one national title sometime in the next few years.

    exactly.. thanks for finally seeing my point.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 32,891, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,102
    Points
    32,891
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Nebraska doesn't have an appreciable population base either, but decades of winning sure helped them. This is in the wrong forum too by the way, unless you originally were talking about women's basketball championships.
    nebraska is the only team/thing in the state. if we had only one team that was very successful it would be a different story. also why is the wrong forum, im talking about ISU football and being in a better position if we were a winning program. We would not. I made a point of Kansas to show that winning national titles in a sport does not make you more attractive.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 42,791, Level: 63
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,964
    Points
    42,791
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    nebraska is the only team/thing in the state. if we had only one team that was very successful it would be a different story. also why is the wrong forum, im talking about ISU football and being in a better position if we were a winning program. We would not. I made a point of Kansas to show that winning national titles in a sport does not make you more attractive.

    I'm confused. Does your thread title refer to 3 national titles in Football or in Women's Basketball? Because this is in the Women's Basketball forum.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 101,076, Level: 99
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,045
    Points
    101,076
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Winning or losing will not effect how attractive we are to Big Networks. Our limiations are our limitations regardless of record. See Kansas basketball. Or Kstate basketball and a decade ago in football. If we were the only school in the state of Iowa, then yes, see Nebraska, but we are not. So for those saying throw more money toward ISU, it wont matter in the long haul, if teams leave anyway, or even if they dont.

    Now i beleive we can still win games, but i dont beleive that we can become more or less attractive to other conferences. Its not anything that is controlable.

    Please. If ISU won three natl titles - in a row or not - it would be a nationally elite school for decades to come. Dumb concept because it won't. But that kind of success changes all the rules. For starters, you think Iowa still has more fans than ISU if that happens? No f-in way.



  10. #10
    Walk On
    Points: 4,228, Level: 18
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mhalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    215
    Points
    4,228
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Im not running them down... Im saying winning the national title in FOOTBALL will not make us have more TV sets, which is what they are wanting when looking at expanding. Thats it. Most of Iowans are Hawk fans... we dont even get all the eyes of this small/great state. What im saying is winning doesnt change our location or population that we already split with Iowa.

    I also brought up Kansas basketball because they do win national titles and no one wants them still... i wasnt saying our other sports suck, they dont. I was saying that even if kansas or kstate were winning titles it wouldnt matter in the long run.
    The bold part is so untrue because there are a lot of cyclones fans. I don't think that you could just say that most of the state of Iowa are hawks fans because I don't think anybody can tell that. It mainly depends on where in the state you are located. If you live closer to Ames than it is going to be cyclone dominated. (Not saying there are not Hawk fans,) and if you live near Iowa City it is going to be Iowa dominated, (also, not saying that there aren't cyclone fans up there) I almost think that if you counted they would be even. You might think that because Iowa is more known because of football, out of the state, but in the state it is whole different story!


    Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 24,684, Level: 48
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    BenEClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Ne
    Posts
    1,820
    Points
    24,684
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    [QUOTE=Tedcyclone;1770 Im saying winning the national title in FOOTBALL will not make us have more TV sets[/QUOTE]

    I couldn't disagree more for both in-state and nationally. Success breeds a following and more success, no matter where you are. Geography and exclusivity helps, but, KU MBB, e.g. is on national MBB TV, because of its success, not because of its geography. NU is on FB TV because of its success. As we improve, we'll get more exposure and a larger market share. As WBB upgrades our non-con schedule, we'll get more national WBB TV also.


    “We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 14,175, Level: 36
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern Polk County
    Posts
    1,112
    Points
    14,175
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Wow, this has nothing to do with WBB. If we won 3 WBB titles in a row, that would mean defeating Conn., Tenn., Stanford, and the likes, we would be front page news and BF would be a god. Our games would be sellouts and the ISU AD would be putting us first. Winning puts you in the spotlight. Three National titles would put us squarely in the circle. I can only dream of that day.

    Again, this has nothing to do with WBB and the team for 2010.



  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,625, Level: 29
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    290
    Points
    9,625
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhalb View Post
    The bold part is so untrue because there are a lot of cyclones fans. I don't think that you could just say that most of the state of Iowa are hawks fans because I don't think anybody can tell that. It mainly depends on where in the state you are located. If you live closer to Ames than it is going to be cyclone dominated. (Not saying there are not Hawk fans,) and if you live near Iowa City it is going to be Iowa dominated, (also, not saying that there aren't cyclone fans up there) I almost think that if you counted they would be even.
    LOL!



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 5,937, Level: 22
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    691
    Points
    5,937
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    Please. If ISU won three natl titles - in a row or not - it would be a nationally elite school for decades to come. Dumb concept because it won't. But that kind of success changes all the rules. For starters, you think Iowa still has more fans than ISU if that happens? No f-in way.
    I don't think Iowa fans are going to switch sides if ISU wins 3 national titles in a row. Just like most of us won't switch to Iowa fans if they win 3 in a row. I'm talking football.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 96,490, Level: 96
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,807
    Points
    96,490
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

    Re: It doesnt matter if ISU wins the national title 3 years in a row.

    lol, I understand your argument OP, but seriously, you shouldn't have went that far as to say we wouldn't be attractive if we won 3 NCs in a row. Yes, the Hawkeyes would still claim to be better than us, but we'd have a national fanbase and national haters at that point. Where we are located wouldn't really matter at that point. but seriously, 3 in a row wouldn't make us attractive? I agree with you if the best we do is 8-4, maybe even 9-3 seasons regularly. But even if can start getting to big bowl games and winning them, we become more attractive.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM