Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 0

How does moving down make things easier?

Can someone explain to me how winning is guaranteed in another conference? I think itís just as much of a crapshoot in a lower conference as it is in the Big 12. I think ISUís problems stem far beyond what conference we belong to.

We lose our already limited recruiting advantages. Right now we get kids that may pass on Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, etc. because they want to play in a bigger conference. If we drop weíre on a level playing field with them so they have no reason to leave to play in the frozen north. Why would a kid go to ISU if he can go to UCF or Florida International and play close to home? Why would he ever go to ISU if Iowa is right there? Why would they come to ISU when they could go to San Diego State or Utah and be closer to home?

We canít pay our coaches. All of a sudden weíre an even bigger stepping stone and the upheaval in the department would be extreme.

We have outstanding bills that need paid Ė weíd need to cut more programs and pay less in salaries. Getting out of the hole with less revenue would be extremely difficult.

And again, weíve seen good coaches win here against this same competition. Earl Bruce and Johnny Majors didnít take their ball and go home because of our disadvantages. They nut up and won games.

I am one person who feels our disadvantages follow us to any conference and things donít get any better by dropping down, unless we go way down. Iím one who thinks winning will be really hard but it has always been really hard. And Iím somebody who really believes in Rhoads and Hoiberg and the staffs they have put together. I refuse to go all ďwoe is meĒ about this, and I think itís odd Deace brings it up since he was such a vocal advocate that we need to get past this mentality.

Iím proud to be a Cyclone and Iím proud to be a part of a great conference and Iím excited about the challenge of playing the best. I am sure our coaches and student athletes are as well and I couldnít be happier for them today. Go State!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Re: How does moving down make things easier?

Speaking of going to a lesser conference will be making winnning easier, look at this article on recruiting. Doc Sadler going to big ten will now be moving into recruiting the areas that McD and ISU have been recuriting. This would make it more difficult for ISU in a lesser conference to recruit against a Big Ten nebraska for the same kids. Nebby will be relevant competition now if we went lesser to an MWC.

Andy Katz's Daily Word: Recruiting in Big Ten country will be a big key for Nebraska Cornhuskers coach Doc Sadler - ESPN

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler gathered his staff on Friday night, shortly after the announcement that the Cornhuskers were moving from the Big 12 to the Big Ten, and immediately changed his July recruiting itinerary.

He cut out trips to the South and made sure he was headed to the Midwest, and the upper Midwest, as many times as possible in the first 10 days of the July recruiting period.
    [+] Enlarge Jamie Squire/Getty ImagesNebraska coach Doc Sadler needs to sell the Huskers program to Midwest recruits.

"I'm only going to spend one or two days outside of the Big Ten states now," Sadler said. "When you're at Nebraska before, all the population is down in Oklahoma and Texas in the [Big 12] league [so] that you had to be involved with kids from that area. I would go to Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois but those kids want to be in the Big Ten. I'm now closer to that than before."

Last edited by Wesley; 06-15-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

We would probably win if we dropped to the Gateway Conference, or better yet, dropped to the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association or the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Can someone explain to me how winning is guaranteed in another conference? I think itís just as much of a crapshoot in a lower conference as it is in the Big 12. I think ISUís problems stem far beyond what conference we belong to.

We lose our already limited recruiting advantages. Right now we get kids that may pass on Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, etc. because they want to play in a bigger conference. If we drop weíre on a level playing field with them so they have no reason to leave to play in the frozen north. Why would a kid go to ISU if he can go to UCF or Florida International and play close to home? Why would he ever go to ISU if Iowa is right there? Why would they come to ISU when they could go to San Diego State or Utah and be closer to home?

We canít pay our coaches. All of a sudden weíre an even bigger stepping stone and the upheaval in the department would be extreme.

We have outstanding bills that need paid Ė weíd need to cut more programs and pay less in salaries. Getting out of the hole with less revenue would be extremely difficult.

And again, weíve seen good coaches win here against this same competition. Earl Bruce and Johnny Majors didnít take their ball and go home because of our disadvantages. They nut up and won games.

I am one person who feels our disadvantages follow us to any conference and things donít get any better by dropping down, unless we go way down. Iím one who thinks winning will be really hard but it has always been really hard. And Iím somebody who really believes in Rhoads and Hoiberg and the staffs they have put together. I refuse to go all ďwoe is meĒ about this, and I think itís odd Deace brings it up since he was such a vocal advocate that we need to get past this mentality.

Iím proud to be a Cyclone and Iím proud to be a part of a great conference and Iím excited about the challenge of playing the best. I am sure our coaches and student athletes are as well and I couldnít be happier for them today. Go State!

Excellent post Bryce.

Most of this is ignored by those that just want to focus on the schedule/Texas influence.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 822

Simple answer (and one that I don't agree with): Because Boise St and TCU and Utah and Boise St and Hawaii did it. Never mind that in Boise St's, Utah's, and BYU's case they're all close enough to pick up the leftovers of the unwanted talent or talent that can't qualify from California that it makes sense to go there. In TCU's case, Texas. In other words, plenty of talent to go around. On top of that, the stars had to align for it to happen for them. ISU is in a completely different situation from those other schools though - we're a school in the upper Midwest where, if we didn't have our BCS status, wouldn't be able to compete with the Big 10 and the rest of the Big 12 for recruiting - there just aren't enough kids to go around up here. In fact, even with BCS status, we have issues recruiting in the Midwest. On top of that, kids from Florida, California, and Texas aren't going to want to come to here over say Conference USA schools because they could be closer to home in Florida and Texas where the weather's warmer if ISU is at their level of play.

Which is why when people point to Boise St or Utah or TCU and say "that's why ISU should drop to a lower division - because we could do the same thing", I giggle a la MattyP. Quite frankly, we COULDN'T do what those three schools do for the same reasons we have problems recruiting big time recruits to come to Ames against other BCS schools - our location would kill us, even at the non-BCS level.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 118

I would rather be the worst team in a BCS conference than the best team in Conference USA.

When you are the worst team in the Big 12, there's always hope of moving up the ladder in the Big 12. When you are the best team in Conference USA the only hope there is is of getting a Big 12 invite.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 98

A lot of posters also agreed with your comment. Also, there will be a significant unfavorable impact on the academic

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 73

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    I would rather be the worst team in a BCS conference than the best team in Conference USA.

When you are the worst team in the Big 12, there's always hope of moving up the ladder in the Big 12. When you are the best team in Conference USA the only hope there is is of getting a Big 12 invite.
    Another solid point I hadn't thought of. I'd rather strive to compete for a Big XII title and never get it, than strive for the Liberty Bowl (C-USA #1) and attain it.