Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 56

Maybe our schedule got easier?

Hear me out people. Someone might want to check my math.

25% of our conference games since formation of the B12 have been against Nebraska and Colorado.

Only 23% of our conference victories have come by beating Nebraska or Colorado.

So doesn't the math actually say our schedule got slightly easier, at least historically? I'm not crazy am I?

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 6

Re: Maybe our schedule got easier?

You have to look at the records against each team. In the past, ISU just played the south teams every other year (on average). Going forward, it will be every year.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,019
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 217

We went 7-6 last year

1 win against Nebraska

1 win against Colorado

I think of it as a give and take - we lost two North teams that were more favorable wins (Colorado moreso than Nebraska) but with them out of the picture the recruiting should pick up for ISU with South players that want to play in the only BCS conference in and around the state of Texas

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 822

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post

25% of our conference games since formation of the B12 have been against Nebraska and Colorado.

So doesn't the math actually say our schedule got slightly easier, at least historically? I'm not crazy am I?
    0% of our conference victories have come by beating Texas and Oklahoma since the formation of the Big 12 conference, and they are now (for the time being) on the schedule most seasons. Our schedule got significantly more difficult. You know how we're complaining about being one of the two "lucky" North schools that got to face Texas and Oklahoma on the same rotation and it killed our chances to compete? That's every year until they find two schools that makes us a conference that knows how to count again...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    0% of our conference victories have come by beating Texas and Oklahoma since the formation of the Big 12 conference, and they are now (for the time being) on the schedule most seasons. Our schedule got significantly more difficult. You know how we're complaining about being one of the two "lucky" North schools that got to face Texas and Oklahoma on the same rotation and it killed our chances to compete? That's every year until they find two schools that makes us a conference that knows how to count again...
    We actually have a decent amount of victories against Baylor/Tech/Ok state which are now on the schedule every year also which offsets playing Texas/Okla each year.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 156

Im with you... i was looking into it and we havnt beat CU or NU very often at all in the entire history of our meetings. We have actually beat Iowa more teams then either of those two teams.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,039
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 18

Nebraska has been a lot weaker the past decade than they were historically and Colorado has been a very poor team recently. At least short term I would MUCH rather be playing the old Big 12 North teams.

Also Texas will likely be stronger than ever since they will be becoming one of the richest athletic departments in the NCAA. So it'd be great to only have to deal with them every 2 years.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Some more stats:

Since starting the B12 our win% against Neb/Col is 25%.

Our win% against the B12 south is 24%.

The problem isn't the B12 South. The problem is a 9th conference game. Our non-Iowa OOC win% since '97 is 69% and our win% against the B12-2 is 29%.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

Shouldn't recruiting get a lot easier without Nebby? We are one of the only schools in the North that offer Big 12 football.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 822

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Shouldn't recruiting get a lot easier without Nebby? We are one of the only schools in the North that offer Big 12 football.
    Nebraska didn't recruit Texas all that much anyway - they tend to recruit further out west, particularly California. They're going to continue recruiting who they recruit and I can't imagine this has much of an impact on our own recruiting.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.