Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 21

They wanted us to move down

I realized this morning that at least some of the media wanted Iowa State to move down a level. They spent weeks telling us that we would be irrelevent in this state if we moved to a lower-level conference.

I tuned in for a few minutes to Jon and Steve's show. And Steve was spouting off about how when we were at 4 or 5 wins a year, we would need to ask if we would rather be in Conference USA. Then I turned that **** off.

I am not sure why we are only going to win 4 games a year. Sure we play Texas and Oklahoma each year, but we also play Baylor each year. I don't think it will be that much harder to get to a bowl game now. A little bit harder, but not a lot.

And itsn't funny that last week when we were headed (in their opinion) to conference USA, Iowa wanted to drop our football game, but now that we are in the Big 12 and they think they can keep us out of a bowl game, theyare all for it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 77

Re: They wanted us to move down

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    I realized this morning that at least some of the media wanted Iowa State to move down a level. They spent weeks telling us that we would be irrelevent in this state if we moved to a lower-level conference.

I tuned in for a few minutes to Jon and Steve's show. And Steve was spouting off about how when we were at 4 or 5 wins a year, we would need to ask if we would rather be in Conference USA. Then I turned that **** off.

I am not sure why we are only going to win 4 games a year. Sure we play Texas and Oklahoma each year, but we also play Baylor each year. I don't think it will be that much harder to get to a bowl game now. A little bit harder, but not a lot.

And itsn't funny that last week when we were headed (in their opinion) to conference USA, Iowa wanted to drop our football game, but now that we are in the Big 12 and they think they can keep us out of a bowl game, theyare all for it.
    We will play the following teams every year:

Texas
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech

Probably continue for some time to play Iowa also.

Take off your blinders and look at our history agaisnt these teams.

We did not do ourselves any favors with this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 0

I called in this morning. I know this isn’t an absolutely great situation, because the rich will be getting richer and the poor will be getting less poor. Any situation that isn’t full revenue sharing will not be great for ISU because we don’t bring a whole lot to the table. But any situation other than this blows up the athletic department to a point I don’t think most people understand. I welcome the challenge. I think we can make bowl games in this league. I expect to be a better football program than KSU, KU, and BU and I think we can compete with the other schools. I can’t wait to play a full round robin. I think it’s a great time to be a Cyclone and I am super excited for the future.

Plus, Cyclonepride yesterday said something I thought was true – more money doesn’t help Texas nearly as much as more money helps us. They already spend more than anybody and get pretty much any kid they want. We are now part of what is probably the premier basketball league in the country and a pretty dang good football conference. I’m one that prefers the chance to do something great in a great conference than the alternative.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I called in this morning. I know this isnít an absolutely great situation, because the rich will be getting richer and the poor will be getting less poor. Any situation that isnít full revenue sharing will not be great for ISU because we donít bring a whole lot to the table. But any situation other than this blows up the athletic department to a point I donít think most people understand. I welcome the challenge. I think we can make bowl games in this league. I expect to be a better football program than KSU, KU, and BU and I think we can compete with the other schools. I canít wait to play a full round robin. I think itís a great time to be a Cyclone and I am super excited for the future.

Plus, Cyclonepride yesterday said something I thought was true Ė more money doesnít help Texas nearly as much as more money helps us. They already spend more than anybody and get pretty much any kid they want. We are now part of what is probably the premier basketball league in the country and a pretty dang good football conference. Iím one that prefers the chance to do something great in a great conference than the alternative.
    You are right. If we use it right, the extra money can help us a lot more than it helps Texas. And like Chris said yesterday, we have never been in direct competition with Texas and Oklahoma.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 162

The media in the state absolutely wanted ISU to drop a conference - which makes absolutely no sense to me. How can the Hawk-based media in Des Moines stay afloat if ISU were to drop a conference? They would lack content, as they would only consider the BCS school in the state as the only one of note and ISU's role would be on par with UNI and Drake for coverage. The preservation of the Big 12 gives them more topics to talk about and balances out their programs - imagine how KXNO would sound if they had two, two-hour shows and one three-hour show that was formatted at 50% Hawks, 35% pro sports and 15% Cyclones. You could argue that's how it is now, but if ISU were to drop a conference it wouldn't have been too much longer until KXNO shows and Sean Keeler would have been given the axe due to the lack of prestige and content the Cyclones would have provided.

Steve, John, Matt, Ken, Keith, Andy, & Sean Keeler - you're welcome for the job security.

Signed,

ISU Athletics

Last edited by 3GenClone; 06-15-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    The media in the state absolutely wanted ISU to drop a conference - which makes absolutely no sense to me. How can the Hawk-based media in Des Moines stay afloat if ISU were to drop a conference? They would lack content, as they would only consider the BCS school in the state as the only one of note and ISU's role would be on par with UNI and Drake for coverage. The preservation of the Big 12 gives them more topics to talk about and balances out their programs - imagine how KXNO would sound if they had two, two-hour shows and one three-hour show that was formatted at 50% Hawks, 35% pro sports and 15% Cyclones. You could argue that's how it is now, but if ISU were to drop a conference it wouldn't have been too much longer until KXNO shows and Sean Keeler would have been given the axe due to the lack of prestige and content the Cyclones would have provided.

Steve, John, Matt, Ken, Keith, Andy, & Sean Keeler - your welcome for the job security.

Signed,

ISU Athletics
    they would have a weekly piece about the team that Iowa State could be playing if they were in a real conference. And some special pieces about where our coaches are now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 621
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post

Texas
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech

We actually can be on TV more as two teams will eventually be gone.

Just a pure guess, but CPR will upgrade the football quality with hard work to more like we had in the 70s. It certainly will be better than Chizball.

CUSA would have been a waste of space. We would have been like Wyoming today.

Hey, this is a no brainer.

Compete or become irrelevant. Just a challenge we must rise to.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 621
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I called in this morning. I know this isnít an absolutely great situation, because the rich will be getting richer and the poor will be getting less poor. Any situation that isnít full revenue sharing will not be great for ISU because we donít bring a whole lot to the table. But any situation other than this blows up the athletic department to a point I donít think most people understand. I welcome the challenge. I think we can make bowl games in this league. I expect to be a better football program than KSU, KU, and BU and I think we can compete with the other schools. I canít wait to play a full round robin. I think itís a great time to be a Cyclone and I am super excited for the future.

Plus, Cyclonepride yesterday said something I thought was true Ė more money doesnít help Texas nearly as much as more money helps us. They already spend more than anybody and get pretty much any kid they want. We are now part of what is probably the premier basketball league in the country and a pretty dang good football conference. Iím one that prefers the chance to do something great in a great conference than the alternative.
    Frankly for all their 5 stars, UT continues to under perform. Sometimes talent is not enough to beat desire.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We actually can be on TV more as two teams will eventually be gone.

Just a pure guess, but CPR will upgrade the football quality with hard work to more like we had in the 70s. It certainly will be better than Chizball.

CUSA would have been a waste of space. We would have been like Wyoming today.

Hey, this is a no brainer.

Compete or become irrelevant. Just a challenge we must rise to.
    I understand what you're saying and agree with you--but what I am saying is this. Look at BYU and TCU and Boise--we probably couldn't beat any of those teams right now and they aren't in the B12 or a BCS conference. They're on TV just as much if not more than us. They get to (and win) bigger bowl games than us. TX needs us more than we need them. And TX doesn't really need us.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

While it's great we're saved (for a few years at least), I still have a hard time pretending this is anything more than Texas telling everyone else how it's going to be. No one else had a say in this. It was Texas' show and the rest of us just had to sit there and take it while they came in and said, "we're getting $8-10 million more than everyone else in this TV revenue deal, and that's the way it's going to be. Oh, and Oklahoma and A&M will get more than everyone else too. The rest of you can have what's left."

I agree with Steve Deace (I think it was Steve) who said it's all relative. Sure, we're getting a nice increase in revenue, but so is everyone else. And is it really guaranteed revenue or expected revenue? Big difference.

Again, I'm thankful ISU and the rest of the league will go on. But I just wish it was done before Nebraska and Colorado left. That alone should get Beebe canned. Instead of playing in a more competitive league (North) for us, we get to play Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Okie State and Texas Tech EVERY year. Not to mention Iowa and competitive Missouri, Kansas, K-State and Baylor teams. That's not necessarily a great deal in my opinion.

If I'm Jamie, I'm getting on the horn with Tennessee Technical School of the South and Montana Western first thing this morning and getting them on the schedule right away.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

I understand what you're saying and agree with you--but what I am saying is this. Look at BYU and TCU and Boise--we probably couldn't beat any of those teams right now and they aren't in the B12 or a BCS conference. They're on TV just as much if not more than us. They get to (and win) bigger bowl games than us. TX needs us more than we need them. And TX doesn't really need us.
    We all understand what you're saying; furthermore, we all understand this conference reallignment issue revolves around money derived from football.

Unlike other nearby schools, the average ISU fan cares about other sports, even those that will lose money no matter how successful they are. If our football team has to accumulate a few more bumps and bruises to keep our women's basketball and volleyball teams viable, I can live with that.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

You should have called in and asked Steve if since Michigan was 1-7 this year then shouldn't Michigan consider moving to the MAC where they might have a shot at a winning record? Obviously with their conference now getting tougher there isn't much of a chance that they will be able to win in the future.

I'm guessing he would have a totally different take if you applied his logic to Little Blue.

Last edited by mt85; 06-15-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Texas
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech

You have got to be kidding me...we just went from being in a position where we were going to have to go begging to get into a lesser conference with less revenue to a position where we are in our same conference with greater revenue.

Make no mistake...this deal was in ISU's best interests.

Frankly, I find your post offensive. Self-limiting attitudes like yours are for losers.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 36

Personally, I think this is a time where ISU is actually equipped to rise to the challenge. With the bigger paycheck coming in from conference revenues, an AD committed to winning, and coaches in place, there's no time like the present. Lets go get it done for once.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 357

They are just telling Hawkeye fans what they want to hear. hawks fans believe this baloney. We are fortunate that JP ane GG are on the same page and want to move the athletic program forward.

ISU can be great regardless of our past. We need to unite and support our teams not whine that we have to play ou and texas. I can't get back to Ames a lot, but I am joining the Cyclone Club.

ďMan suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.Ē
    Alan Wilson Watts