Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 26

Culture Change Needed at Iowa State

Today we got lucky. Lucky that Texas decided to not be the next domino to fall.

I read this post in another thread and I figured it deserved it's own thread.

I think if this whole realignment thing has taught us one thing, it is to prepare our University to be ready for when this comes around again. And this will come around again. Make it so that we are on the wanted lists of these expanding conferences. How do we do that? It first starts with all of Cyclone Nation. We need to realize our support means everything, financially, attendance etc. I think our fanbase and alumni have been called out by this ordeal. I live in Texas, and every sports radio station was making us out as the "ugly" girl that no one wanted to take to prom. I personally took offense, but soon realized we need to change the culture of our programs and how we are viewed nationally to make a differnce in this status. We do that by hiring winners and individuals who are passionate about ISU. I think we have great start with CPR, The Mayor, Fen, Jackson, and Lynch. Next, we support these teams to the utmost degree. I am calling myself out on this one too. I am going to buy season tickets both football and basketball even if I only get to use them once, I am going to donate the tickets that I can't use to fans closer to home. I am going to go to both the UT and OU games on the road and promote our University. Most of all, I am going to join as many Cyclone and Gridiron clubs our program has to offer. In addition, facilities have to be improved. If we are going to get increased TV coverage, not only do we need to have good products on the field, court, mat, etc., we need to have venues that when people see them on tv they say, "holy s#$%, I didn't know that they had such great facilities. This my friends will be a good start to changing how we are viewed. As Iowans we are often viewed as humble and hard-working, these are indeed great traits to possess. However, it is time to be proud of our University, and not afraid to have little swagger...trust me both Texas schools down here do. My motto is, if we don't think were great, how will we convince everyone else that we are.

Signed,
    One Proud Clone!
    It's time to use this as a wake-up call and begin a culture change at ISU. It's time to take priority in football, and not tailgating; buy season tickets instead of make a game-by-game decision, and start acting like a BCS school if we want to remain in the BCS. If we want respect, we need to earn respect. Our coaches are doing it, but Jack Trice Stadium needs to be filled, period, regardless of who the opponent is.

Let's make Paul Rhoads even prouder!!!

Go Cyclones!!

Recruit
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Culture Change Needed at Iowa State

I am with you wholeheartedly! We have to think like winners if we want to be winners. Like Jaime Foxx said in Any Giving Sunday "Losing is like dying" and we need to look at our program that way

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

It certainly calls for an attitude adjustment - and timely game starts that are to our advantage in the long run.

1 PM is fine and 2:30 is better. Let the party in the parking lots be the massive success it has always been, but get your butts in the seat for the pre-game and fill every seat. Party after the game instead of sitting in traffic. Celebrate the entire day.

Treat it like a college football game with a passionate audience. That means game-time atmosphere should be upgraded, and I'm not just talking about the fans...

--------
    Pereant osores!
    --------

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I totally agree. We all have to step it up...we as supporters, our administration, and our coaches/teams. We must demand more of ourselves...and that includes winning...on a habitual basis. No more patience for losing and mediocrity. We are fortunate to still be with the big boys...we better start acting like one.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The OP is great, and represents a much-needed attitude change for Cyclone Nation. Here at CF we're probably preaching to the choir for the most part, and this attitude needs to spread beyond this core of Cyclone-Crazed internet addicts. That's why I'm thankful that we still have JP at the helm. Whether he needed it or not, this has been a huge wakeup call, and I have a feeling JP is going to be out in force over these coming seasons, continuing to grow Cyclone Athletics. When, not if but when, this happens again down the road (hopefully quite awhile depending on the new contracts) we need to be in a better position. No, the state of Iowa won't have tripled in population, and no we probably won't be the #1 school in the state (though one can always hope). But hopefully we will be a school with a little more recent success, better facilities, and an even bigger fanbase!

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 60

We need to add about 5 million people to the states population so we are wanted. its the sad truth!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I agree with this post. One of the things that really upset me about potentially getting lost in this realignment mania is that ISU finally has the pieces in place to turn ISU into a relevant BCS football and basketball program.

I'm glad we will still have the opportunity to see that play out. It all starts with the support of the president which we have. Furthermore, we have an excellent AD that is willing to take risks in an effort to change the culture of ISU athletics. We also have an excellent group of coaches that understand ISU and are vested in its success.

I think that great things are on the horizon for ISU. I'm so excited that we will have the opportunity to watch it play out.

For those paying attention the culture of bad luck is turning for ISU. The survival of the conference, the win in Lincoln, the luck with not having to buyout GM, the trade with Auburn, etc.

The sun is starting to peek through, and I'm more excited about the future then I've ever been.

Last edited by mt85; 06-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 155

Admittedly, I'm a poor grad student living 1,200 miles from home. However, I'm already an ISUAA member and I pledge to join the Cyclone Club by the end of the summer. I've also volunteered a couple of weeks ago to organize game viewings for fellow alumni and fans of ISU in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,021
    Given: 206

We need to first get everything on pair with the average NCAA BCS team. Jack Trice Stadium's upgrades need to be finished in the next couple of years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 618

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    We need to first get everything on pair with the average NCAA BCS team. Jack Trice Stadium's upgrades need to be finished in the next couple of years.
    This. While it would be nice to compete with Texas, Oklahoma, and OSU (I categorize them here because of the TBP money), we should first be concerned with competing with Mizzou, Kansas, and TT in terms of facilities.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 76

Yes, there should be no more excuses that "God hates Iowa State" !

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 536
    Given: 72

Yep, that **** poor attitude needs to leave. We need to expect to win and do the things necessary to help us win.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.