Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 146

Maybe this can solve the energy problem...

As long as it is a 4-stroke...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 11-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,540
    Given: 733

Re: Maybe this can solve the energy problem...

If you want to make environmentalists happy, it will be this:Attachment 381 No, wait! Horse crap contains methane! Bad horse! Bad horse! Guess we should just start walking!

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 08-20-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Walking is fine but try not to run too often the CO2 that you emit may increase your carbon footprint.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 870
    Given: 619

But then again us humans would have to stop farting because of all of the gasses (including CO2 and methane) that our flatulence contains. Better yet, maybe the human race should go extinct as we are bad for the planet we live on...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    If you want to make environmentalists happy, it will be this:Attachment 381 No, wait! Horse crap contains methane! Bad horse! Bad horse! Guess we should just start walking!
    I remember reading an article about how the invention of the automobile reduced pollution in the early years because of the all methane and manure of the horses it reduced. It was a God-send of large cities.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Pardon my choice of words for what I am about to say but I really wonder how many of these "tree-huggers" still drive SUVs or some other form of energy-waster. If you were really that concerned about the evirnonment you'd be driving a solar or hybrid car, riding a bike to work, use solar panels on your house, etc. It's so easy to blame everyone but the fact is everything you've bought has contributed to pollution or environmental factors at some point while it was made into the final product.

Like I said in another thread, don't give me this environmental crap unless you are living like the Amish or in a shack without electricity out in the woods hunting down your dinner every night. I could probably start a whole nother thread on how PETA bothers me too but that is for another day...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,540
    Given: 733

You mean like these gals?

Attachment 382

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 08-20-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

You do know what PETA stands for, right travman? People Eating Tasty Animals.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 606
    Given: 389

"For every 100,000 steps, plant a tree."

- Arbor Day Farm

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post

Like I said in another thread, don't give me this environmental crap unless you are living like the Amish or in a shack without electricity out in the woods hunting down your dinner every night. I could probably start a whole nother thread on how PETA bothers me too but that is for another day...
    You don't have to make such drastic changes in your life to help the environment. A friend of mine organized his block so that only one garbage carrier served the whole block, which saved gas, pollution, money, and noise pollution. It will not in itself stop global warming or solve the energy problem, but if everyone made incremental changes, that most certainly would help the world's problems. For the record, I am not a "tree-hugger" but do care about the environment.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

Pardon my choice of words for what I am about to say but I really wonder how many of these "tree-huggers" still drive SUVs or some other form of energy-waster. If you were really that concerned about the evirnonment you'd be driving a solar or hybrid car, riding a bike to work, use solar panels on your house, etc. It's so easy to blame everyone but the fact is everything you've bought has contributed to pollution or environmental factors at some point while it was made into the final product.

You don't have to be Amish to help with the environment. Small changes like shifting from the V8 to the V6 (I realize some people, like farmers, need this stuff). Or turning off the lights when you're in the other room. Or setting the AC to 75 instead of 72. These small and easy things to do would make a huge difference if everyone was on board.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    You do know what PETA stands for, right travman? People Eating Tasty Animals.
    Well that's MY version of it too. But the "other" PETA folks can stick it where the sun don't shine for all I care. Well it's another day so here's my PETA rant...

Let's be rational, if we stopped killing animals for food it wouldn't take but a few days probably for over-population to set in. If we let everything free range you can forget about driving anywhere because you probably wouldn't be able to drive to work without hitting a cow in the middle of the road.

I'm all for ethical treatment of animals but to say we shouldn't kill them for food is just stupid. My family raises cattle and like most people that raise livestock we are concious of making sure they get proper nourishment, get proper attention when they are wounded or sick, and have adequate shelter in extreme conditions or when they are about to give birth. I used to show cattle and the one thing that frustrated me was the ignorant PETA people that would come to the cattle shows and try to give you some BS about how cruel we were being to our animals because we had them tied up. Most people would tell them something like "well they just got a bath this morning, a good meal and are laying comfortably under a fan on a bed of clean wood chips. Yup, they sure look upset to me!" That's the dumbest place for PETA folks to come to because if any thing show animals get pampered treatment compared to being out in a muddy feed lot or seeking shade in the pasture on a hot summer day. Some of these animals will walk right up to you in the pasture years after you haven't showed them and let you scratch their neck or try to lick you so if we are so cruel to these animals why wouldn't they run away at the sight of us?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    You don't have to be Amish to help with the environment. Small changes like shifting from the V8 to the V6 (I realize some people, like farmers, need this stuff). Or turning off the lights when you're in the other room. Or setting the AC to 75 instead of 72. These small and easy things to do would make a huge difference if everyone was on board.
    Well I'm guilty somewhat of 1 of these things. I'm shifting from a V6 to a small block V8 here soon. Although the Chevy small block V8 has that new technology that goes into 4 cyclinder mode when it doesn't need the V8 power.

I'm pretty good about the energy saving stuff around the house though because I like to keep the MidAmerican bill as low as possible. Turning down the furnance or AC when I go to work is the biggest thing. Why heat or cool a house no one is in during the day?

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

Well I'm guilty somewhat of 1 of these things. I'm shifting from a V6 to a small block V8 here soon. Although the Chevy small block V8 has that new technology that goes into 4 cyclinder mode when it doesn't need the V8 power.

I'm pretty good about the energy saving stuff around the house though because I like to keep the MidAmerican bill as low as possible. Turning down the furnance or AC when I go to work is the biggest thing. Why heat or cool a house no one is in during the day?
    I think that the new V8 that switches to 4 cyl when the power isn't needed is outstanding technology.....these are the types of things that help with the environmental problems. When the power is needed, we should use it. What isn't needed is a soccer mom in Clive driving a V8 Suburban to take her 2 kids to school. These people could easily drive a smaller SUV (I know with kids you need lots of space), a minivan, or a wagon. Or maybe Paris freakin Hilton could not drive the Escalade when jumping from club to club (while she's drunk no less).

As for the PETA stuff. I have no problem with agriculture. I'm sure that your family is one of the good ones with regard to normal treatment of animals. I'm also sure that the Ag dept at ISU teaches responsible agriculture (I was a bio major, so I'm not sure what they teach). Here's a question though.....has your family or anyone you know been affected by large-scale hog or cattle "factories"? These are the places where the animals may get mis-treated. That's not even my point though. What is wrong with people having a free-range farm? This keeps small farmers in business. They can compete with the big factories because they occupy a niche market. They can raise their animals according to "free-range" standards and sell them for a premium. I say the more small, family farms we have the better, when compared to the giant factories......for a number of reasons.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Oh come on! It's a standard viewpoint of those opposed to any environmental concerns.

If you can't fix everything at once, why do anything at all?

It's a viewpoint best exemplified by the brain-dead dolts who, when speaking about global warming and such greenhouse gases (and other posts contained in this thread), trot out "what are you going to do about the volcanoes" or some other trite response. I actually heard a US Congressman ask that not too long ago.

WHAT??? Who the freak cares? But since we can't stop volcanoes we should just say "Oh hell, let just give up"?

Literally mind numbing.