Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Should the Big 12 invite Notre Dame to the party now???

Once NBC's contract ends with Notre Dame, or when Notre Dame decides not to renew their contract with NBC, whichever.....should the Big 12 invite them to the conference and try to lure them in....the new TV deal and the snub to the Big 10 could maybe be enough to get Notre Dame to at least think about it. Notre Dame's chances of a BCS championship in the future looks better facing 2 powerhouses in Texas and Oklahoma, rather than Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan St.<----Rivals and yes even the Hawkeyes. They have plenty of money and always want to be in the BCS talk, well, here you go.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 487

Re: Should the Big 12 invite Notre Dame to the party now???

If Notre Dame wouldn't accept the Big 10's ungodly sums of money, what makes you thing they're going to accept the Big 12's meager sums by comparison?

Seriously - people just do not get the fact that if Notre Dame was going to join any conference it's the Big 10, and considering they have no desire to do that they're not going to join ANY conference.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

It's the ONLY team I would ever be in favor of adding because they could increase the revenue instead of dilute it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If Notre Dame wouldn't accept the Big 10's ungodly sums of money, what makes you thing they're going to accept the Big 12's meager sums by comparison?

Seriously - people just do not get the fact that if Notre Dame was going to join any conference it's the Big 10, and considering they have no desire to do that they're not going to join ANY conference.
    I agree it won't happen, but if it did, they would be in the North and have an "easy" path to the championship game. They could also maintain their own TV network ala Texas per the new rules.

Thumbs Up

This guy's got it

"I am so proud... I am so proud to be your football coach!" -- Paul Rhoads

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 963

Wouldn't they consider it if we have the clause of allowing an independent television network? It still may be a long shot, but seems like a chance.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 19

We could and then get laughed at.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Again with this?

Never. Going. To. Happen.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 487

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Wouldn't they consider it if we have the clause of allowing an independent television network? It still may be a long shot, but seems like a chance.
    Should we give them the ability to set up their schedule exactly the way they wish, guarantee them a spot in the BCS if they make top 10, AND allow them to keep all the revenues they make at that game? Yah - didn't think so.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    They already have a national television network, NBC.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Prospect
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

You're quite full of yourself. I'm not saying they would join the Big 12, but like Texas (and apparently you) they think of themselves in a much higher regard than anyone else.

I'll offer three reasons why joining the Big 12 makes more sense for them rather than the Big 10.

1. Unequal revenue sharing. If they joined the Big 12 they would be right up with Texas as the top school.(I would think in the new TV deal there is an opt out clause for a change to the Conference like adding Notre Dame which would allow for the Big 12 to renegotiate their current TV deal). Let's say for simple math the Big 10 TV deal pays $240MM annually or $20MM/school equally. Is it unrealistic to think a Big 12 with Notre Dame could not generate the same contract? If the revenue sharing is unequal, I don't think it's unrealistic to think a Notre Dame/Texas share could get to the $25-$35M range.

2. Soft Big 12 North. With schools like ISU, Mizz, Kansas, KSU the perception would be they could coast through the North into the title game each year. With that perceived easy schedule they could continue to schedule the likes of USC, Michigan and other "big" "prestigious" schools. Look at their schedule next year. Are Western Michigan, Tulsa, Purdue, and Michigan St. any more prestigious than any of the Big 12 North? Granted Army and Navy from a traditional sense are much more prestigious, but are they really much of a challenge if Notre Dame is at the level they think they can be?

I would argue it would be perceived as an easier road to the BCS than joining the Big 10.

3. Ability to create their own network. Like Texas, Notre Dame wants to do this. Big 12 will allow, Big 10 = No.

I'm not saying Notre Dame will join the Big 12, but I don't think it's a crazy thing to consider.

Prospect
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks Mclone....someone without "tunnel vision"

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Mclone View Post
    You're quite full of yourself. I'm not saying they would join the Big 12, but like Texas (and apparently you) they think of themselves in a much higher regard than anyone else.

I'll offer three reasons why joining the Big 12 makes more sense for them rather than the Big 10.

1. Unequal revenue sharing. If they joined the Big 12 they would be right up with Texas as the top school.(I would think in the new TV deal there is an opt out clause for a change to the Conference like adding Notre Dame which would allow for the Big 12 to renegotiate their current TV deal). Let's say for simple math the Big 10 TV deal pays $240MM annually or $20MM/school equally. Is it unrealistic to think a Big 12 with Notre Dame could not generate the same contract? If the revenue sharing is unequal, I don't think it's unrealistic to think a Notre Dame/Texas share could get to the $25-$35M range.

2. Soft Big 12 North. With schools like ISU, Mizz, Kansas, KSU the perception would be they could coast through the North into the title game each year. With that perceived easy schedule they could continue to schedule the likes of USC, Michigan and other "big" "prestigious" schools. Look at their schedule next year. Are Western Michigan, Tulsa, Purdue, and Michigan St. any more prestigious than any of the Big 12 North? Granted Army and Navy from a traditional sense are much more prestigious, but are they really much of a challenge if Notre Dame is at the level they think they can be?

I would argue it would be perceived as an easier road to the BCS than joining the Big 10.

3. Ability to create their own network. Like Texas, Notre Dame wants to do this. Big 12 will allow, Big 10 = No.

I'm not saying Notre Dame will join the Big 12, but I don't think it's a crazy thing to consider.
    They are going to give up their deal with NBC to create their own TV network. Why spend the money to create your own TV network when you have NBC in your back pocket. A couple of good seasons, and the price goes up. ND does not want to be in a conference for football. They've had multiple chances over the years and they are still and independent.

Recruit
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=Three4Cy;1768451]They are going to give up their deal with NBC to create their own TV network. Why spend the money to create your own TV network when you have NBC in your back pocket. A couple of good seasons, and the price goes up. ND does not want to be in a conference for football. They've had multiple chances over the years and they are still and independent.[/Q

For the heck of it- ND's 2012 schedule has Purdue, Mich State, Michigan, Miami of Florida, Stanford, Pitt, Army, S. Cal. "easy" games with Wake Forest, Army, Navy. Plus a game to be announced. Plus Oklahoma.

Schedules come and go and ISU's in 2010 is one of the toughest.