Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 24,690, Level: 48
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    24,690
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 68

    Are we selling our souls?

    I read that Texas was staying but that they could also negotiate their own TV contract without having to share with the rest of the league. Add to that the announcement the "new" conference will have a large penalty for leaving and I think we just put all our eggs in basket. We will be at the mercy of Texas and if they sign a big TV deal but dont have to share where will our TV money come from? So we stay in the conference, get to play Texas without sharing in their revenue and we cant leave without being penalized? I hope I am totally wrong but it sure seems like we are like the smitten school boy that stays with the hot chick even though she treats him like dirt. JMO.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 122,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,441
    Points
    122,681
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 546

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I read that Texas was staying but that they could also negotiate their own TV contract without having to share with the rest of the league. Add to that the announcement the "new" conference will have a large penalty for leaving and I think we just put all our eggs in basket. We will be at the mercy of Texas and if they sign a big TV deal but dont have to share where will our TV money come from? So we stay in the conference, get to play Texas without sharing in their revenue and we cant leave without being penalized? I hope I am totally wrong but it sure seems like we are like the smitten school boy that stays with the hot chick even though she treats him like dirt. JMO.
    It is estimated the Longhorn network will only pay them $3-5 million per year. Big deal.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 48,651, Level: 68
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    48,651
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Yes. Any league with Texas at the helm will never be a league with long-term viability. Simple as that.


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 324,219, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    15,139
    Points
    324,219
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 91

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Yep sure did, But I like dancing with the Devil.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 23,145, Level: 46
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,458
    Points
    23,145
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Their TV deal is independent of the negotiated conference deal and will be for programming that the conference package doesn't cover.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 36,445, Level: 58
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isuforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,946
    Points
    36,445
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 377

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    double down and won!



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 508,531, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    34,726
    Points
    508,531
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,940
    Given: 1,328

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    It is estimated the Longhorn network will only pay them $3-5 million per year. Big deal.
    I think that was the original estimate for the Big Ten Network per school. Remind me how many millions each school is pulling in again?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 350,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    20,145
    Points
    350,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 982
    Given: 125

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Alright, would you guys ***** if we threw together a deal with some other schools to start a network and make a million a year that way? I highly doubt it. It is the same for each school. We can all start our own. Texas just happens to have the resources to actually do it and make money. They will take nothing away from us in doing so. Again, I don't know why we get so hung up on limiting what Texas can do when that really has no effect on us. Like it or not, they are our meal ticket. We let them have the things they want because without them we don't get the money we get. They let us tag a long because we aren't a threat to them. It is a simple as that. If it wasn't you would have all the elite programs in one conference.


    It's all snark from here on out

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 224,613, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18,384
    Points
    224,613
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,191
    Given: 796

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    All comes down to money, and 14 - 17 M per year is alot better than the 7M we got last year, and way better than what we would have gotten if the Big 12 broke up.

    Man, basketball just got alot tougher though, no CU and NU on the schedule anymore. What would Mdermott have done?



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 24,690, Level: 48
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    24,690
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 68

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    It is estimated the Longhorn network will only pay them $3-5 million per year. Big deal.
    What was our athletic budget last year? I was thinking it was about 38M. 3-5 more million would be a pretty big deal for us. I know we wouldnt get it all but its nothing to sneeze at.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 87,352, Level: 91
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tyler, TX
    Posts
    8,356
    Points
    87,352
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 105

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    The Longhorn network should not affect the conference revenue at all. The conference network should have first pick of any Longhorn event.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 116,499, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    116,499
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 484

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Alright, would you guys ***** if we threw together a deal with some other schools to start a network and make a million a year that way? I highly doubt it. It is the same for each school. We can all start our own. Texas just happens to have the resources to actually do it and make money. They will take nothing away from us in doing so. Again, I don't know why we get so hung up on limiting what Texas can do when that really has no effect on us. Like it or not, they are our meal ticket. We let them have the things they want because without them we don't get the money we get. They let us tag a long because we aren't a threat to them. It is a simple as that. If it wasn't you would have all the elite programs in one conference.
    That's kind of the definition of selling your soul. Texas knows they can get what they want merely by flaunting the fact that they are "your meal ticket". That's what landed the Big 12 in this mess in the first place.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 122,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,441
    Points
    122,681
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 546

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think that was the original estimate for the Big Ten Network per school. Remind me how many millions each school is pulling in again?
    Uhhh, the Big Ten Network pays members schools around $20 million.

    The "new" Big 12 TV deal is supposed to pay member schools $14-17 million.

    The Longhorn Network could potentially pay Texas $3-5 million above and beyond that.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 508,531, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    34,726
    Points
    508,531
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,940
    Given: 1,328

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    Uhhh, the Big Ten Network pays members schools around $20 million.

    The "new" Big 12 TV deal is supposed to pay member schools $14-17 million.

    The Longhorn Network could potentially pay Texas $3-5 million above and beyond that.
    On top of what the conference pays them?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 122,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,441
    Points
    122,681
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 546

    Re: Are we selling our souls?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    On top of what the conference pays them?
    Correct. It will not affect the rest of the league at all.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM