Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Republican Debate 5-15-07

Anyone else watch the debate on Fox? How much better was that than the first debate at the Reagon Library? I thought the questions were great, right to the point. Even though a lot of the answers were not.
    Chris Wallace did a great job when the canidates tried dancing around the question, to stop them in the middle of their answer and ask them to answer the question.
    I'm not sure who "won" the debate. But I did like Tancredo, and Brownback. I loved it when Tancredo talked about looking for a Jack Bauer.
    But from the the Top 3 (Romney, Guiliani and McCain) I would have to go with Romney.

Any other thoughts?

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 65

Re: Republican Debate 5-15-07

I didn't watch it and didn't want to. I really don't like those things. Nothing really comes out of them except for we find out which candidates can give the standard PC, take no stance, response.

I'd rather look at their records and on their websites to see where they stand on certain issues and compare them that way.

I'd really like for someone outside of the existing federal government to become the next President. Romney would be ok, but I'm leaning towards Guiliani or Fred Thompson who both have good records/stances on fiscal responsibility which is my #1 issue.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I didn't watch it either and didn't care to. Watched the ACM Awards instead. Watching a bunch of old boring guys talk over listening to live music performances was a no-brainer for me last night.

The election is not until November 2008 so I'm not ready to have to listen to all this garbage already and I'm not looking forward to all the political ads that are going to take over the TV commericals before long either...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

When there is a debate scheduled where the candidates DON'T get the questions beforehand, let me know and I'll give a crap.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I didn't watch it but I just finished reading a recap of it. I particullary like this little phrase:
    "We've had a Congress that's spent money like John Edwards at a beauty shop," Huckabee said, mocking the Democratic presidential hopeful's penchant for $400 haircuts.
    He did not mention that until January, Congress has been under the control of Republicans for a dozen years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 838

Quote Originally Posted by CyGal View Post
    I didn't watch it but I just finished reading a recap of it. I particullary like this little phrase:
    Why doesn't anyone ask Mitt Romney how much he pays for his haircuts? If it's relevant, it's relevant.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Why doesn't anyone ask Mitt Romney how much he pays for his haircuts? If it's relevant, it's relevant.
    It's not about the haircut. I'm actually not concerned about Huckabee's quote. I'm more concerned about what he didn't say, which was kindly placed at the end of his quote in the article, and in my post.

He did not mention that until January, Congress has been under the control of Republicans for a dozen years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 838

Quote Originally Posted by CyGal View Post
    It's not about the haircut. I'm actually not concerned about Huckabee's quote. I'm more concerned about what he didn't say, which was kindly placed at the end of his quote in the article, and in my post.
    Ah, sorry. My bad. I did like that last line, it seems to be often forgotten.

I watched bits and pieces of the debate and caught Huckabee's line and it ****** me off.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is the thing I like about some of the "outside" candidates like Romney, Guiliani, and Thompson...they aren't scared to call out their own side in Congress because they have no ties to Congress. John McCain obviously can't do that because he took part in everything.

Last edited by cycloneworld; 05-16-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Ah, sorry. My bad. I did like that last line, it seems to be often forgotten.

I watched bits and pieces of the debate and caught Huckabee's line and it ****** me off.

I think more Americans should pay attention to the last line. Look what our Republican government has done in the last 12 years, and people still want to keep them in office!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

This is the thing I like about some of the "outside" candidates like Romney, Guiliani, and Thompson...they aren't scared to call out their own side in Congress because they have no ties to Congress. John McCain obviously can't do that because he took part in everything.
    All of the republican candidates this year signify everything that is wrong with the republican party to me. Either they are against one of the core values of the party (Romney is pro-choice) they are a bigger manwhore than Clinton (Guiliani) they really aren't that conservative (McCain) or they starred in Iron Eagle III (Thompson).

The Thompson thing is a joke, but I can't see myself voting for anybody on that side. I also can't see myself voting for anybody on the Democratic side either. Looks like another David Stern vote again in 2008.

I just don't think the Republicans are staying with the philosophy of the party at all and that's going to hurt them this year.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Perhaps these candidates (Guiliani, Romney, McCain) are starting to realize that they need to differentiate themselves from the core if they want to get elected. Obviously following in Bush's footsteps can't be that great of an idea, what with his approval ratings and all. I think it's a great idea that Republican candidates are distancing themselves from the the "Christian Conservative" right wing. I still would never vote Republican, but bringing this country out of the far right wing and more to the center could be this country needs.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    All of the republican candidates this year signify everything that is wrong with the republican party to me. Either they are against one of the core values of the party (Romney is pro-choice) they are a bigger manwhore than Clinton (Guiliani) they really aren't that conservative (McCain) or they starred in Iron Eagle III (Thompson).
    The day of candidates sticking 100% behind the party's platform is over. If they do that, they will be branded as being too far right/left...and they all KNOW that.

I just want someone elected that is outside of the existing system. I REALLY want to see what kind of effect that will have on anything. And I don't laugh if an actor (Thompson, who is an ex-politician) is anything to joke about IMO. I'd rather have that than these career politicians we have had for the last 20 years.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thompson has still held an office for a long time. I think pretty much every politician is ok with the status quo right now. They are pretty comfy and don't want to rock the boat. Bush was supposed to be fiscally conservative and socially conservative, and he's had every opportunity to make changes and he just hasn't. Of course I'm about as jaded as they come when then conversation changes to politics.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't see the debate, so I just read some overviews and looked at the highlights I could find on youtube. If I were to pick one of the candidates it would be Ron Paul. He's the only one that takes a realistic look at foreign policy, and I could live with a libertarian president. He's also obviously not afraid to stick to his guns in the face of opposition within his party.