Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Rain Barrel

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 203,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,305
    Points
    203,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

    Rain Barrel

    After putting it off for a year, this weekend I decided to add a rain barrel to my house. After some research I decided to buy the Fiskar 58 gallon model. I hooked it up on Friday before the rain, it took me about an hour to set it up. A couple hours after I had it hooked up it started to rain and within 1/2 hour it was completely full. I have a soaker hose hooked to it that runs along the plants on the side of my house. I've made a few mods to it but so far so good.

    Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone else thinking of buying one.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 17,296, Level: 40
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    626
    Points
    17,296
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Links?, Prices?, Diagrams? Purpose? (Your specific purpose other than watering plants i guess...)



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 27,762, Level: 51
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    BigDISU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    27,762
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Built one myself, got 55 gal drum for free from local food factory. $5 worth of fittings and I am and ready to go. This one was hidden in some shrubbery, so didnt do anything special to the outside appearance because you cannot see it. It sits in the high part of the yard, so I ran some hose from the barrel to the garden and can easily fill up with rain water using gravity as head pressure.

    Have plans for 3 more in a more easily viewable area, going to still go the free barrel route, but going to make it look a little nicer with some custom made stand and fencing to hide the barrel behind.

    Total material cost for 4 barrels was about $40, or $10/barrel. Could go cheaper with low quality fittings.

    http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...ter_barrel.htm

    one of the first places I read stuff online about DIY option


    Last edited by BigDISU1; 06-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 203,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,305
    Points
    203,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by jpete24 View Post
    Links?, Prices?, Diagrams? Purpose? (Your specific purpose other than watering plants i guess...)
    Salsa Rain Barrel System with Original Diverter / Yard and Garden / Products | Fiskars

    About $100 plus $5 in stone that I put underneath. These things get real heavy with water in them.

    Purpose-Just to water plants

    It will probably take 100 years to pay off and I'm not a greenie but I like the idea of catching this run-off.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 203,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,305
    Points
    203,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    Built one myself, got 55 gal drum for free from local food factory. $5 worth of fittings and I am and ready to go. This one was hidden in some shrubbery, so didnt do anything special to the outside appearance because you cannot see it. It sits in the high part of the yard, so I ran some hose from the barrel to the garden and can easily fill up with rain water using gravity as head pressure.

    Have plans for 3 more in a more easily viewable area, going to still go the free barrel route, but going to make it look a little nicer with some custom made stand and fencing to hide the barrel behind.

    Total material cost for 4 barrels was about $40, or $10/barrel. Could go cheaper with low quality fittings.
    This is a good idea but I had to have it look decent since it was on the side of my house. I can see why people use multiple ones, they really fill up fast.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 17,296, Level: 40
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    626
    Points
    17,296
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Salsa Rain Barrel System with Original Diverter / Yard and Garden / Products | Fiskars

    About $100 plus $5 in stone that I put underneath. These things get real heavy with water in them.

    Purpose-Just to water plants

    It will probably take 100 years to pay off and I'm not a greenie but I like the idea of catching this run-off.
    HA! Now good luck negotiating with the City to reduce your water bill (more specifically the stormwater surcharges) because you have reduced the impact of your impervious area on your property.

    You a civil E by chance?



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 27,762, Level: 51
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    BigDISU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    27,762
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Salsa Rain Barrel System with Original Diverter / Yard and Garden / Products | Fiskars

    About $100 plus $5 in stone that I put underneath. These things get real heavy with water in them.

    Purpose-Just to water plants

    It will probably take 100 years to pay off and I'm not a greenie but I like the idea of catching this run-off.
    How large is the overflow pipe on your barrel? I am afraid during a heavy rain the 3/4" pipe I attached will not be enough and the downspot will backup. I guess it depends on how much downspot and roof area is connected to the particular rain barrel, but just curious.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 59,515, Level: 75
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,318
    Points
    59,515
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Great to hear, one of the most unused "green" contraptions ever. Relatively inexpensive, depending on your aesthetic appeal, but very cheap when it comes to watering gardens, lawns, etc...


    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 391,529, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,160
    Points
    391,529
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 261

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    How large is the overflow pipe on your barrel? I am afraid during a heavy rain the 3/4" pipe I attached will not be enough and the downspot will backup. I guess it depends on how much downspot and roof area is connected to the particular rain barrel, but just curious.
    Think like the BP top kill approach - that may be what happens in a deluge.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 12,574, Level: 33
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    anticyclonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Rathbun
    Posts
    752
    Points
    12,574
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by jpete24 View Post
    HA! Now good luck negotiating with the City to reduce your water bill (more specifically the stormwater surcharges) because you have reduced the impact of your impervious area on your property.

    You a civil E by chance?
    I work in the planning profession and part of what we are trying to do is to get cities to reduce the stormwater fees when residents and businesses and others can incorporate best management practices (BMPs) such as this. Ankeny is taking the lead big time, other cities in the metro are behind but all of this is changing.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 27,068, Level: 50
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyco2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Points
    27,068
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Rain Barrel

    And, if you live in the City of Ames, you have a rebate coming to you:

    http://www.cityofames.org/WaterWeb/C...ate%20Form.pdf



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 203,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,305
    Points
    203,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    How large is the overflow pipe on your barrel? I am afraid during a heavy rain the 3/4" pipe I attached will not be enough and the downspot will backup. I guess it depends on how much downspot and roof area is connected to the particular rain barrel, but just curious.
    I went outside when it was full and noticed that it was diverting most of the water back down the gutter but not all of it. I ended up putting another valve (don't knwo the name) near the top for run-off that I hook to a small hose. I'll just leave that valve open. This combo seemed to work good yesterday.

    I haven't messed around to see how long it would take the barrel to empty using the soaker hose but I'm guessing a long time. One thing that I liked about this barrel is that there are no openings so you won't have bug issues.

    I also added some waterproof sealant even though they didn't have that in the instructions.

    If you don't care about looks or you can find a decent looking one I would go the route of BigDISU1.


    Last edited by dmclone; 06-14-2010 at 01:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 203,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,305
    Points
    203,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by jpete24 View Post
    HA! Now good luck negotiating with the City to reduce your water bill (more specifically the stormwater surcharges) because you have reduced the impact of your impervious area on your property.

    You a civil E by chance?

    I was just talking about the savings I would see by not turning on the actual faucet.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Like BigD said, you can pick up those blue barrels at scrap places for ~ $10. I actually use one for a fish pond filter. for small outlets =< 1.5" there are fittings available at farm and fleets ... can't remember what their called ... some type of tank fitting. for anything larger just use PVC and a **** load of silicone.

    I've also had good luck just spraypainting them with black or brown "plastics" paint.

    lots of good ones available for purchase, but spendy.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 27,762, Level: 51
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    BigDISU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    27,762
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rain Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I went outside when it was full and noticed that it was diverting most of the water back down the gutter but not all of it. I ended up putting another valve (don't knwo the name) near the top for run-off that I hook to a small hose. I'll just leave that valve open. This combo seemed to work good yesterday.

    I haven't messed around to see how long it would take the barrel to empty using the soaker hose but I'm guessing a long time. One thing that I liked about this barrel is that there are no openings so you won't have bug issues.

    If you don't care about looks or you can find a decent looking one I would go the route of BigDISU1.
    I see, your design is different then mine, yours actually diverts the water right at the downspout?

    Mine has a 3/4" overflow nozzle with hose near the top of the barrel and as it fills up the water starts to come out of the nozzle, but I was afraid during a hard rain the 3/4" nozzle wouldn't let enough water out and then the barrels would overflow.

    I might have to investigate the possibility of adding a diverter to the actual downspout



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM