Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big 12 MWC Merger best for ISU

I think the Big East talk is short sighted and based more on perceptions of associations than day to day reality. Once the dust settles, winning and losing will continue to be based on coaching and recruiting, driven by facilities and TV exposure. Merging the "remainders" as they have been called, with MWC along with the addition of Houston provides the best of both worlds.

First we are able to preserve our existing recruiting strong hold of Texas. If we end up in the Big East, CPR won't be able to sell Texas kids on being seen on TV in Texas or playing games in Texas and that will be a huge loss for ISU. It will take much longer to develop recruiting credibility in the Big East markets, then for ISU to continue to hold onto the relationships it already has. ISU's emerging relationships in California for FB recruiting are likely to be strengthened in this scenario.

MWC already has its own network and being combined with the "remainders" (I rather dislike being called that) will improve distribution which equals exposure and revenue. Looking at the market sizes, I would expect MWC/Big 12 combo to deliver at least the revenue ISU would get in its share of Big East.

I don't understand the infatuation with Big East which is unstable, is likely to be poached like the Big 12 has been and is disconnected from our fan base and recruiting base.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

Re: Big 12 MWC Merger best for ISU

The MWC revenue won't touch the potential Big East revenue which won't touch the B12 revenue.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

A 10 team Big 12 is BY FAR the best.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,270
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 314

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I think the Big East talk is short sighted and based more on perceptions of associations than day to day reality. Once the dust settles, winning and losing will continue to be based on coaching and recruiting, driven by facilities and TV exposure. Merging the "remainders" as they have been called, with MWC along with the addition of Houston provides the best of both worlds.

First we are able to preserve our existing recruiting strong hold of Texas. If we end up in the Big East, CPR won't be able to sell Texas kids on being seen on TV in Texas or playing games in Texas and that will be a huge loss for ISU. It will take much longer to develop recruiting credibility in the Big East markets, then for ISU to continue to hold onto the relationships it already has. ISU's emerging relationships in California for FB recruiting are likely to be strengthened in this scenario.

MWC already has its own network and being combined with the "remainders" (I rather dislike being called that) will improve distribution which equals exposure and revenue. Looking at the market sizes, I would expect MWC/Big 12 combo to deliver at least the revenue ISU would get in its share of Big East.

I don't understand the infatuation with Big East which is unstable, is likely to be poached like the Big 12 has been and is disconnected from our fan base and recruiting base.
    How about the term that K-State came up with- the Fab Five.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

Not to mention ISU would get ZERO visibility nationally if we were to join that conference. At least in the Big East or Big 12 lite we have some chance at visibility...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 53

I agree 100%, however you are forgetting that in your scenario you would have at least two Texas schools (Houston & TCU) with the possibility of adding a third (Baylor). The Mountain Network would then be added to the Waco and Houston market places as well as Ames/Des Moines, with potential to add Kansas City & St. Louis. Coming on board to a network that already has viewers in San Diego and more importantly Las Vegas could drive up some viewership - don't you think ratings would be great for the Boise St. - TCU rematch next year?

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 21

Kids from Texas come to isu to play schools that passed them by like Texas, ok, am. Not Houston. If we were in bigE we would have national visibility to offer recruits.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with most of your post except for one thing: the $$$. I think the proposed conference's TV deal would be around what we are currently getting today in the B12. Both the BE and current B12 will have our revenues increase a lot; with the MWC it won't; but we won't lose what we already have (IMO anyway cause a lot of this is just speculation).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    I agree 100%, however you are forgetting that in your scenario you would have at least two Texas schools (Houston & TCU) with the possibility of adding a third (Baylor). The Mountain Network would then be added to the Waco and Houston market places as well as Ames/Des Moines, with potential to add Kansas City & St. Louis. Coming on board to a network that already has viewers in San Diego and more importantly Las Vegas could drive up some viewership - don't you think ratings would be great for the Boise St. - TCU rematch next year?
    The MTN is generally regarded as the worst TV deal that exists in college football and exists solely to give at least some visibility to anyone that would care to watch, which, if the ratings are any indicator, are only their own.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    Absolutely.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The MTN is generally regarded as the worst TV deal that exists in college football and exists solely to give at least some visibility to anyone that would care to watch, which, if the ratings are any indicator, are only their own.
    "Big East conference ranks dead last in overall television revenues taking in just $33 Million to feed a conference with 8 football schools and 16 basketball schools. The conference distributes just $2 Million per year to it's basketball schools ($32 Million total), with a weighted distribution for the conference's 8 football schools as additional revenue. West Virginia reported a take home of $3.5 Million as of February 2010, making a total conference haul of $5.5 Million. And that's for a team that made the Final Four. And a Bowl Game! I don't care about your allegiances, that is a totally unsustainable business model and one that has made the conference ripe for poaching."

Big Ten Armespansion: Will the Big East Adapt or Die? - Maize n Brew

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

"Big East conference ranks dead last in overall television revenues taking in just $33 Million to feed a conference with 8 football schools and 16 basketball schools. The conference distributes just $2 Million per year to it's basketball schools ($32 Million total), with a weighted distribution for the conference's 8 football schools as additional revenue. West Virginia reported a take home of $3.5 Million as of February 2010, making a total conference haul of $5.5 Million. And that's for a team that made the Final Four. And a Bowl Game! I don't care about your allegiances, that is a totally unsustainable business model and one that has made the conference ripe for poaching."

Big Ten Armespansion: Will the Big East Adapt or Die? - Maize n Brew
    Now imagine the revenue if the schools attractive to TV leave, i.e. Rutgers, Syracuse etc.....

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

#1: The time zone thing is a killer for me.
    #2: MWC has a couple good seasons and they think they are now national powers. What if they go back to be just average schools. Now the entire conference is weak and gets zero BCS bids.
    #3: Little to no money for the MWC, no one cars about that conference.

The Big East:
    #1: East Coast time zone
    #2: Big Market areas = big time TV deal in the future
    #3: Football programs that have been powers in the past (Pitt 80's) and have a chance to stick around in the national media for the years to come.
    #4: Basketball: On ESPN every day, recruiting

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    #1: The time zone thing is a killer for me.
    #2: MWC has a couple good seasons and they think they are now national powers. What if they go back to be just average schools. Now the entire conference is weak and gets zero BCS bids.
    What if WV goes to ACC and Rutgers & Syracuse to Big 10, already fears in Big East land of losing BCS status
    #3: Little to no money for the MWC, no one cars about that conference.
    (current pay out is already higher per school than Big East)

The Big East:
    #1: East Coast time zone
    Not sure that helps much in our recruiting areas
    #2: Big Market areas = big time TV deal in the future
    That is the thing there aren't Big TV markets in Big East that are likely to remain there post Big 10 expansion
    #3: Football programs that have been powers in the past (Pitt 80's) and have a chance to stick around in the national media for the years to come.
    Not sure the logic here
    #4: Basketball: On ESPN every day, recruiting
    If you think ISU will be on ESPN every game if we are in Big East you are mistaken and you will be one of 20 BB schools.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

We go to MWC = we have to find all new coaching staffs because we aren't going to be able to pay them.