Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

Hopkins, not Morgan will succeed Boeheim

ESPN.com - NCB - Sources: Hopkins to succeed Boeheim at Syracuse

OK, I made up the Morgan part in the title to be a little bit sarcastic, but he did spend several years as an assistant @ Syracuse under Boeheim.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Hopkins, not Morgan will succeed Boeheim

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRule View Post
    OK, I made up the Morgan part in the title to be a little bit sarcastic, but he did spend several years as an assistant @ Syracuse under Boeheim.
    And has failed as a head coach since leaving the Cuse!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Is Morgan still in Ames? Obviously he's not highly-regarded in D-1 basketball ranks if he's still in Ames unemployed. Wonder if he's finally decided it's time to take a lesser job as an assistant or coach in a lower rank. The longer he stays out of the game the harder it is going to be to get back into it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    And has failed as a head coach since leaving the Cuse!!

Wow, the third best winning % at ISU, winning an NCAA tourney game in his 3 seasons, making the semi-finals of the NIT and taking another team to the NCAA tourney (Santa Clara or Santa Barbara or something like that). I would definitely say Wayne has failed as a head coach.

Remember, in his tenure at ISU he won more NCAA tourney games then McDermott and had the same amount of NCAA tourney victories as Alford, both in less time.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    Wow, the third best winning % at ISU, winning an NCAA tourney game in his 3 seasons, making the semi-finals of the NIT and taking another team to the NCAA tourney (Santa Clara or Santa Barbara or something like that). I would definitely say Wayne has failed as a head coach.

Remember, in his tenure at ISU he won more NCAA tourney games then McDermott and had the same amount of NCAA tourney victories as Alford, both in less time.
    How dare you say something rational about Wayne! Looks like I'm not the only one who realizes this guy did fine here(there's a few of us left here atleast). He wasn't exactly dealt the greatest hand in the world, either. He kept us together, won some games, and put us in position to hire an up and coming coach like GMac. The Wayne Morgan era had more successes than failures.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Everything Wayne accomplished at ISU was due to Jared Homan, maybe a little bit Vroman. Everything else in Morgan's tenure was crapola. When Homan moved on Stinson was running things.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

McDermott has only been here ONE season. Prior to that he took UNI to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments. Something that hasn't been done at ISU since Tim Floyd.

If Wayne Morgan was such a good head coach, why did our team never learn from their mistakes. Why was he more of a father figure to them instead of being a disciplinarian?

Morgan's last team had arguably one of the top guard tandems in the nation. How did Coach McDermott in season #1, with a group of last minute recruits and arguably the worst guard tandem ISU has had in several years win almost as many games as Wayne Morgan's last team? Simple, COACHING and DISCIPLINE!!

Now I will give you my disclaimer that Taylor is one of the most un-disciplined players I have ever seen!! But GMAC didn't exactly have many options, did he? It's not like he had Blalock, Stinson, Carr, etc. to run the show.

McDermott 15-16 (6-10)
    Morgan 16-14 (6-10)

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 20

What kind of program did Wayne inherit? He left the program in better shape for McDermott then what LE left the program in. Wayne's worst season at ISU was 16-14, not too bad. I really would have liked to see what he could have done without Stinson. Stinson seemed to become very selfish his last season.

I hope McDermott succeeds, I really do. I just think Morgan gets a really bad rap and he should get a lot more respect from Cyclone fans then he does. The program was an embarrassment when he took over.

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    McDermott has only been here ONE season. Prior to that he took UNI to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments. Something that hasn't been done at ISU since Tim Floyd.

If Wayne Morgan was such a good head coach, why did our team never learn from their mistakes. Why was he more of a father figure to them instead of being a disciplinarian?

Morgan's last team had arguably one of the top guard tandems in the nation. How did Coach McDermott in season #1, with a group of last minute recruits and arguably the worst guard tandem ISU has had in several years win almost as many games as Wayne Morgan's last team? Simple, COACHING and DISCIPLINE!!

Now I will give you my disclaimer that Taylor is one of the most un-disciplined players I have ever seen!! But GMAC didn't exactly have many options, did he? It's not like he had Blalock, Stinson, Carr, etc. to run the show.

McDermott 15-16 (6-10)
    Morgan 16-14 (6-10)
    "Why was he more of a father figure to them instead of being a disciplinarian?"
    Funny your dad must have been a softie.

As for the coaching debate. Wayne has his tenure here to judge him by. McD has yet to show us what he can do at this level. I like him and hope/believe he will be great, but still in wait and see mode. This year could be a repeat of last year unless the incoming guards are gems.
    If it is does that mean that Morgan was better?? MMM Springtime Fodder.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

If Morgan was such a great coach, how did he go from winning an NCAA tourny game in his first year with the good team that he inherited, to going to the NIT the next year, and in his last season not even being good enough to make it to the NIT? It seems to me that as the good players he inherited left, his teams got worse and worse. I don't see that as showing a great coaching ability.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyGal View Post
    If Morgan was such a great coach, how did he go from winning an NCAA tourny game in his first year with the good team that he inherited, to going to the NIT the next year, and in his last season not even being good enough to make it to the NIT? It seems to me that as the good players he inherited left, his teams got worse and worse. I don't see that as showing a great coaching ability.
    Just to clarify, Morgans 3 years at ISU went:

1st year: NIT Semifinal
    2nd year: NCAA 2nd Round
    3rd year: No postseason

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    Just to clarify, Morgans 3 years at ISU went:

1st year: NIT Semifinal
    2nd year: NCAA 2nd Round
    3rd year: No postseason
    Thanks for the correction.

That just goes more to the point. He went from 2nd round of the NCAA tourny to nothing, nadda, zip. He still had Stinson and Blalock on the team, and yet went nowhere his 3rd year.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

"
    What kind of program did Wayne inherit? He left the program in better shape for McDermott then what LE left the program in. Wayne's worst season at ISU was 16-14, not too bad. I really would have liked to see what he could have done without Stinson. Stinson seemed to become very selfish his last season.

I hope McDermott succeeds, I really do. I just think Morgan gets a really bad rap and he should get a lot more respect from Cyclone fans then he does. The program was an embarrassment when he took over."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

The basketball program was in shambles when Morgan left. We wll be paying for Morgans blunders for the next few years:

1. Low graduation rates
    2. Less schollies
    3. The D1 Scheduleing trainwreck

Morgan and his program had no integrity or accountability. He proved that by getting in a public war of words with JP after the D1 issue. Recruiting players that did not want to be Cyclones, practice, go to class, or play disciplined. And as soon as a coach was hired to instill those things....all of Morgans recruits could not get out of town fast enough. Morgan had NO respect amongst his peers. And may have coached his last Div 1 game...unless Bob Huggins wants him as an assist. Morgan was bad for the program and bad for ISU, and I used to like him. But he proved who he was after the D1 issue. And now we are seeing just how he was destroying the program and its reputation. Even with the season we had last year GMac and his staff have grarnered more respect , in one year, amongst his peers and nationally then Morgan ever did.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Anyone on this board who thinks that Morgan was a decent coach knows squat about basketball. The man didn't know when to press and when not to, He had no offensive schemes what so ever, and his teams had absolutely no structure to them.

He was a lazy coach who didn't know the X's and O's of basketball and constantly got outcoached by teams that were far less talented than us.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I hope McDermott succeeds, I really do.
    That is just a phenomenal observation. Great job out of you Marty or Miller. Which ever one you are.