Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 0

Have to say, I'm still leaning towards a new Big East over a Texas-plus-nine grouping

Yes, money matters, but so does trust, competitiveness and the sense of being in a conference of "equals"...not a conference of Texas and its minions. Beebe is touting a new TV deal worth 15 million per team, and that may be the case. But a new Big East is also going to be able to strike a new and very lucrative deal...perhaps in the same ballpark. Further, there's potential for a CONFERENCE television network...not so in the Big 12 with UT's insistence on its own network.

Truth be told, I've always been less than comfortable with the old SWC teams...never really felt like they were part of "us"...not like the members of the old Big 8. The latest events have shown that they clearly have no loyalty to us in the North...and I think it is best if we cut ties and seek something that fits us better.

The new Big East will be the best basketball conference in America...and that's a big deal for school's like ISU and Kansas. As for football, the new Big East would be one of the top 4 or 5 conferences in the country...and covers a ton of large population centers. Its contracts and TV coverage would be in accordance with that. If by some miracle Notre Dame could be enticed to join the football side of things, this conference could compete with anyone. That's a reach, but not outside the realm of reasonable possibility...either way, I think ISU is more valued and better off in a new Big East.

East

Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Rutgers
    Uconn
    South Florida
    Syracuse
    Baylor

West

Missouri
    KSU
    Kansas
    ISU
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Memphis

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Have to say, I'm still leaning towards a new Big East over a Texas-plus-nine grou

i think we need the schmoes at KU to lead the way or we are going to get dropped like a cold t erd.

Honor Before Victory

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 13

Re: Have to say, I'm still leaning towards a new Big East over a Texas-plus-nine grou

I firmly believe that if the B12 can't survive, that the BE is the next best option long term.

Rookie
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mesa- I am with you 100%. I too think that the Big East is the best opportunity for the long term stability of Iowa State University. Without a doubt the Big East leadership will be able to get a TV contract just like the one that Bebee is throwing around. I would hate for ISU to stick with the remaining 10 and then in 4 years we go through this same **** all over again. Not worth it.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mizzou and KU will be just as juicy of targets in the Big East as they would be in the Big 12. We might as well all stay put until the Big 10 says they are done. Plus, we can collect some money from Nebraska and Colorado to boot. Thank you very much.

Rookie
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    Mizzou and KU will be just as juicy of targets in the Big East as they would be in the Big 12. We might as well all stay put until the Big 10 says they are done. Plus, we can collect some money from Nebraska and Colorado to boot. Thank you very much.
    This is all fine and dandy...but the Pac-10 commish is continuing his non stop flight path direct to Kansas City in about 2 hours. A trip to Lawrence to talk with the folks over at KU will probably happen tomorrow. At this point, it is a rat race. The problem is that we dont have any information at all on what the Big East is doing right now (if anything)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 18

If we can get a guaranteed TV deal with the Big East, I would be all over that. But if they can't, I think staying in the Big XII if possible would be the best thing to do.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 53

I kind of like the idea of a fresh start in a new conference, preferably the Big East. Might be a good way to change the culture at ISU if we're playing a lot of new teams.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    Yes, money matters, but so does trust, competitiveness and the sense of being in a conference of "equals"...not a conference of Texas and its minions. Beebe is touting a new TV deal worth 15 million per team, and that may be the case. But a new Big East is also going to be able to strike a new and very lucrative deal...perhaps in the same ballpark. Further, there's potential for a CONFERENCE television network...not so in the Big 12 with UT's insistence on its own network.

Truth be told, I've always been less than comfortable with the old SWC teams...never really felt like they were part of "us"...not like the members of the old Big 8. The latest events have shown that they clearly have no loyalty to us in the North...and I think it is best if we cut ties and seek something that fits us better.

The new Big East will be the best basketball conference in America...and that's a big deal for school's like ISU and Kansas. As for football, the new Big East would be one of the top 4 or 5 conferences in the country...and covers a ton of large population centers. Its contracts and TV coverage would be in accordance with that. If by some miracle Notre Dame could be enticed to join the football side of things, this conference could compete with anyone. That's a reach, but not outside the realm of reasonable possibility...either way, I think ISU is more valued and better off in a new Big East.

East

Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Rutgers
    Uconn
    South Florida
    Syracuse
    Baylor

West

Missouri
    KSU
    Kansas
    ISU
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Memphis
    Dream a little dream for me while your at it.

The other day you were expounding about how fabulous the MWC was going to be.

At least find one story and stick to it just for consistency sake.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post

East

Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Rutgers
    Uconn
    South Florida
    Syracuse
    Baylor

West

Missouri
    KSU
    Kansas
    ISU
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Memphis
    Good points made. Here are mine. right now we are in the worst possible marketing position. Football and basketball have done nothing the past 5 years. If we could get two years and somewhat turn those two around we could become at least a viable AD if someone looks to expand. I don't think the Big East will touch 15 million per team. I just don't think they can get it. So if Beebe get's his 17 million I like the B12 a lot better. I believe that is enough to keep teams. It will keep Texas for sure because they can have their own network.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 24

Baylor in the East? What the ****?
    And you think we're just going to walk in and call the shots?
    And I'm not sure 14 teams makes any sense unless you go with 9 conference games.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

This all works well except KU is gone to the Pac-10.

How does the Big East deal sound now?

We are screwed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    I kind of like the idea of a fresh start in a new conference, preferably the Big East. Might be a good way to change the culture at ISU if we're playing a lot of new teams.
    I agree. I'd really like KU, KSU, and Mizzou in the conference not only because of their proximity, but also the familiarity and tradition. But I think it would be a good thing to see some different opponents, and a different part of the country.

Recruits from more urban areas might also appreciate the fan support, and the college town, but big time college campus, atmosphere that ISU has to offer.