Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,095, Level: 86
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,388
    Points
    78,095
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    What can ISU bring to a conference?

    What does ISU bring to a conference?

    A conference that starts a network would get most of the TV sets in Iowa. The population is not huge but if $.25 - $.35/subscriber was charged I would guess about $2 - $3 million a year ISU would bring to a conference, not a ton.

    Fan support is pretty good at ISU both at home and traveling to 'destination' games for basketball and football. ISU was # 26 in the for Men's basketball attendance even with the McDermott debacle of the last few years. ISU was #52 in football attendance for 2009, nothing to sneeze at with the population in the state and previous seasons ISU football has endured. Not to mention wrestling and women's basketball. (I know these don't pay the bills though). Bowl game travel is a point that ISU can sell to a potential suitor.

    With ISU's performance in the current Director's cup, the uptick in football and the POSSIBILITY of men's basketball coming back the athletic performance of ISU should be pretty competitive for whatever conference ISU is in.

    How about advertisers for a possible new network whether that be the Big 12, Big East or MWC? Principal could be a major advertiser. How about EMC and Pioneer/Dupont? If a move to the Big East perhaps Wells Fargo would want to advertise more. I know Wells Fargo Financial is headquartered in Des Moines, not the actual corporate office but Wells purchased Wachovia which has a heavy footprint in the Northeast. Maybe they already advertise heavily there. Regional advertising could be Hy-Vee, Wellmark and Casey's/Kum & Go. Is this enough to make ISU a viable contributor to a conference network?

    What am I missing? Am I overstating anything?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 426,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,648
    Points
    426,258
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Definitely overstating Director's Cup...if we leave the Big 12 Iowa State is going to be hurting in volleyball as well as WBB. Additionally, Iowa State football and MBB are not things to sell right now. If you dig deeper you realize we beat one good team last year in football (Nebraska) and took advantage of beating some bad teams and losing to some bad teams. MBB we hope is on the road to recovery, but have nothing to back it up. Our budget is among the lowest of BCS schools. Additionally, $.25-.35 per subscriber in a state of ~3,000,000 people isn't even close to $2-3 million, especially when the perception is that we're the #2 school in the state.



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 12,258, Level: 33
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    StPaulCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Duh!
    Posts
    663
    Points
    12,258
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Well we had the basis for a positive thread, but it only took one post to point the negatives.


    "I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,095, Level: 86
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,388
    Points
    78,095
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Definitely overstating Director's Cup...if we leave the Big 12 Iowa State is going to be hurting in volleyball as well as WBB. Additionally, Iowa State football and MBB are not things to sell right now. If you dig deeper you realize we beat one good team last year in football (Nebraska) and took advantage of beating some bad teams and losing to some bad teams. MBB we hope is on the road to recovery, but have nothing to back it up. Our budget is among the lowest of BCS schools. Additionally, $.25-.35 per subscriber in a state of ~3,000,000 people isn't even close to $2-3 million, especially when the perception is that we're the #2 school in the state.
    The $.25 - $.35 is per month. 1,000,000 households at $.25/month is $3,000,000.

    ISU will not be hurting in WBB or volleyball if we get to the Big East. This is where I want ISU to end up. I think ISU will be able to get some outstanding recruits in these sports in a league like the Big East. The MWC there may be a drop off but look who volleyball and WBB are recruiting. Many of these fine athletes are fairly local.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 37,380, Level: 59
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    37,380
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post
    Well we had the basis for a positive thread, but it only took one post to point the negatives.
    Negatives, or reality? I don't see anything in there that I would even consider a stretch. We've had success in the past, and I believe we'll have success in the future, but this is terrible timing for a decision made mostly on football and basketball.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 426,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,648
    Points
    426,258
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    ISU will not be hurting in WBB or volleyball if we get to the Big East. This is where I want ISU to end up. I think ISU will be able to get some outstanding recruits in these sports in a league like the Big East. The MWC there may be a drop off but look who volleyball and WBB are recruiting. Many of these fine athletes are fairly local.
    Iowa State volleyball will be history if we leave the Big 12. Christy Johnson-Lynch will be gone in a heartbeat. Volleyball in the Big East is a JOKE. The local recruits we're picking up will go play for schools in conferences that are volleyball conferences. WBB will be hurting because one of our biggest sells is playing in the best conference in the country in the Big 12. Many of our girls are from Big 12 country. Leave and you lose all of those connections. The Big East will absolutely KILL our MBB program right out of the gate. Iowa State wrestling will also need a lot of help in the event of leaving the Big 12. Football gets recruiting ties to Texas because of the Big 12 severed. There is a LOT of harm to be done leaving the Big 12.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 124,598, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,463
    Points
    124,598
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Additionally, $.25-.35 per subscriber in a state of ~3,000,000 people isn't even close to $2-3 million
    3M people is roughly 1M TV households.

    1M households * $0.30/month = $300K/month

    $300K/month * 12 months = $3.6M per year


    Even 75% saturation would still be $2.7M.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 426,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,648
    Points
    426,258
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    3M people is roughly 1M TV households.

    1M households * $0.30/month = $300K/month

    $300K/month * 12 months = $3.6M per year


    Even 75% saturation would still be $2.7M.
    That is assuming you get it on DirecTV, Dish, Mediacom, etc. AND you can get it on something that isn't premium. Do you remember the **** the Big 10 Network had to go through? A network showcasing Iowa State is going to have an even harder time because Iowa State doesn't have nearly the fans Iowa does.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 124,598, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,463
    Points
    124,598
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    That is assuming you get it on DirecTV, Dish, Mediacom, etc. AND you can get it on something that isn't premium. Do you remember the **** the Big 10 Network had to go through? A network showcasing Iowa State is going to have an even harder time because Iowa State doesn't have nearly the fans Iowa does.
    The BTN and Fox have set precedent for the same maneuver by future sports channels.

    This "fantasy network" is also asking less than half of what the BTN does. Plus, if it's put together by Fox/FSN, you can bet it will appear on a regular DirecTV tier at the very least thanks to NewsCorp's common interests.

    Mediacom would also put this on a regular tier in Iowa, or face serious blowback from both the university and the fans. So would a lot of the smaller cable companies. It all adds up.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,095, Level: 86
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,388
    Points
    78,095
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    That is assuming you get it on DirecTV, Dish, Mediacom, etc. AND you can get it on something that isn't premium. Do you remember the **** the Big 10 Network had to go through? A network showcasing Iowa State is going to have an even harder time because Iowa State doesn't have nearly the fans Iowa does.




    Are there any other 'private' entities brought in by ISU that can help prop up a Big East Network via advertising?



  11. #11
    Walk On
    Points: 9,730, Level: 29
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    133
    Points
    9,730
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Good looking uniforms and fans that can take a beating.


    Dogs look up to you, cats look down at you, give me a pig. They just look you in the eyes and treat you as an equal - churchill

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 21,752, Level: 45
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HawkFanISUalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    789
    Points
    21,752
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    ISU can bring a lot to a conference academically. When it's all said and done, a major conference that's not hell-bent on expansion (like the Big East) might appreciate a strong Engineering, Ag, and Graphic Design school in their mix. Athletically ISU would fit better in the Big East as well, as they're traditionally a stronger Basketball Conf than a Football Conf; just like ISU.

    Hopefully ISU can get into the Big East or MWC. I'd rather see that than the MAC or MVC.

    Edit: This is assuming the Big XII dissolves...



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 33,834, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    MookInLincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Waverly, NE
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    33,834
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkFanISUalum View Post
    Hopefully ISU can get into the Big East or MWC. I'd rather see that than the MAC or MVC.
    WHy even freaking say that part?!?!

    That is just the kinda **** that torks ISU fans off.

    The Valley doesn't even play FBS football. C'mon!

    It's like Keeler ending his last blog with this gem, "If the Cyclones arenít a part of the Big 12/10, itís unlikely that theyíll land in another Bowl Championship Series conference for football ó which probably means a drop in revenue, scholarships, and, eventually, sports"

    Really? The Big East isn't a possibility at all? The MWC is on the verge of gaining BCS status.

    WTF?!?


    I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 92,235, Level: 94
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,461
    Points
    92,235
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 198

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    What does ISU bring to a conference?

    A conference that starts a network would get most of the TV sets in Iowa. The population is not huge but if $.25 - $.35/subscriber was charged I would guess about $2 - $3 million a year ISU would bring to a conference, not a ton.

    Fan support is pretty good at ISU both at home and traveling to 'destination' games for basketball and football. ISU was # 26 in the for Men's basketball attendance even with the McDermott debacle of the last few years. ISU was #52 in football attendance for 2009, nothing to sneeze at with the population in the state and previous seasons ISU football has endured. Not to mention wrestling and women's basketball. (I know these don't pay the bills though). Bowl game travel is a point that ISU can sell to a potential suitor.

    With ISU's performance in the current Director's cup, the uptick in football and the POSSIBILITY of men's basketball coming back the athletic performance of ISU should be pretty competitive for whatever conference ISU is in.

    How about advertisers for a possible new network whether that be the Big 12, Big East or MWC? Principal could be a major advertiser. How about EMC and Pioneer/Dupont? If a move to the Big East perhaps Wells Fargo would want to advertise more. I know Wells Fargo Financial is headquartered in Des Moines, not the actual corporate office but Wells purchased Wachovia which has a heavy footprint in the Northeast. Maybe they already advertise heavily there. Regional advertising could be Hy-Vee, Wellmark and Casey's/Kum & Go. Is this enough to make ISU a viable contributor to a conference network?

    What am I missing? Am I overstating anything?
    This question fits something I wondered over the last few days.

    Everybody talks about how thereís no advantage to adding ISU to the Big Ten, since the Iowa TV sets are covered. I can understand that (and why having Nebraska would seem like a good expansion for the conference, while Iowa State/Iowa would be redundant).

    If most of this is driven by TV revenue, how does actual potential viewership come into play (thinking outside of conferences having their own networks and getting market share)? How do you factor:
    1: Fans/alumni who live out of state (and out of region)?
    2: Viewer interest in teams within your own conference.

    Iíll use Big Ten as an example, but it could apply to other leagues. Iím an ISU grad (and Cyclones fan) who lives in the center of Big Ten country and Iíve lived in Big Ten states almost my entire adult life. Of course it would be nice to have ISU in the B10 purely from availability of more Cyclones sports on BTN.

    But I would also be more likely to watch non-ISU games involving teams in our conference. The U-M-MSU game doesnít draw me at all, but if the result had a direct bearing on Iowa Stateís place in the race, it might be different. (And this also would draw Cyclones fans who live in Iowa).

    Is this a minimal piece in the puzzle? If not, it would certainly be something ISU could bring to a conference, as far as its fan base and the perceived pointlessness of our TV impact.


    Best in local news satire: Bass Lake Beacon

  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,069, Level: 98
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,602
    Points
    100,069
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 53

    Re: What can ISU bring to a conference?

    Quote Originally Posted by MookInLincoln View Post
    WHy even freaking say that part?!?!

    That is just the kinda **** that torks ISU fans off.

    The Valley doesn't even play FBS football. C'mon!

    It's like Keeler ending his last blog with this gem, "If the Cyclones arenít a part of the Big 12/10, itís unlikely that theyíll land in another Bowl Championship Series conference for football ó which probably means a drop in revenue, scholarships, and, eventually, sports"

    Really? The Big East isn't a possibility at all? The MWC is on the verge of gaining BCS status.

    WTF?!?
    Why lash out like that? Those are worst-case scenario possibilities. And he said he DOESN'T want to see that. He wasn't taking a dig at ISU. Come on.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM