Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Pollard . . a call for Action?

I can appreciate Pollard's silence in hiring coaches . . but come on man, your fanbase is really hurting.

Silence may be a virtue for most situations in the sports world . . but silence right now is leading to incredible inuendo, lies, and rumor mongering. It is really damaging the Cyclone fan base . . and perhaps our institutional options.

Come out the "bat cave" and tell us what your initial courses of action are . . . talk to the media. If not, you will have Register's feces covered newspaper broadcasting inuendos, distortions, and anti ISU bias all over the United States. How many of the Register's stories are being sited by Big East fans . . right now??

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,073
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 63

Re: Pollard . . a call for Action?

i think he is doing the best he can. perhaps you have missed the letter from him and prez. he isnt being silent. and its not like he can tell a course of action. just like with the coaching searches....the media knowing anything may not be a bad thing but it will NEVER be a good thing. so JP likes keeping his fan base and in turn the media only as informed as necessary and not too informed. its just the way it has to be. but i understand youre on the JP hater band wagon and this was just another shot.

Husker Hater

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,270
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 263

I would imagine he is a little busy and anything he would say would be pure speculation. They released their statement and until we figure out if some of the schools are going to stick together or if it's every man for himself, there is not much to say.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 74

What's he going to say if nothing is happening for us? I only want him to speak if we join another conference, hopefully the Big East.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,542
    Given: 733

I think he has to wait until the Big 12 officially dissolves, at least, before saying anything definitive, as it would be nice to get paid if it happens. Even then, he still won't be able to say much until they've landed and accepted an invitation to another league.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dinger View Post
    i think he is doing the best he can. perhaps you have missed the letter from him and prez. he isnt being silent. and its not like he can tell a course of action. just like with the coaching searches....the media knowing anything may not be a bad thing but it will NEVER be a good thing. so JP likes keeping his fan base and in turn the media only as informed as necessary and not too informed. its just the way it has to be. but i understand youre on the JP hater band wagon and this was just another shot.
    Hey junior . . if you can find one negative comment that I have ever made about Pollard . . you will be correct.

I love Pollard and his leadership . . but the situation has gone from problem/trouble to CRISIS. Silence is golden but NOT is this crisis moment. Heck, most fans on this forum are finding their encouragement from BF tweets.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 81

Jamie's done as much as he can. He will not comment (missouri-esque) about movement to another conference while there is still a glimmer of hope for the remaining B12. A restructured B12 is still by far the best options with a potential improved TV contract, automatic BSC bid, good bowl affiliations, rather than going on the open market, which appears to be a crapshoot and dependent on Kansas and everyone else's decision going forward. Be patient and wait until Text dumps the conference middle of next week, then start expecting more communication from the AD to the fan base. Either way, there's probably not much to say, unless we go after the only sure thing move to CUSA, yuck. I'd rather we bide our time and wait for things to happen, then act quickly when the time is right.

Last edited by isugcs; 06-13-2010 at 09:43 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

My guess is there is a reason for the silence and manner or correspondence so far.

While as a fan, I would certainly like to hear more, I will also give him the benefit of the doubt as to his having a reason for staying silent.

I will hold my judgment until the end of the process.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

. Heck, most fans on this forum are finding their encouragement from BF tweets.[/QUOTE]

And I am willing to bet this is planned

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isugcs View Post
    Jamie's done as much as he can. He will not comment (missouri-esque) about movement to other conference while there is still a glimmer of hope for the remaining B12. A restructured B12 is still by far the best options with a potential improved TV contract, automatic BSC big, good bowl affiliations, rather than going on the open market, which appears to be a crapshoot and dependent on Kansas and everyone else's whim. Be patient and wait until Text dumps the conference middle of next week, then start expecting more communication with the fan base. Either way, there's probably not much to say, unless we go after the only sure thing move to CUSA, yuck. I'd rather we bide our time and wait for things to happen, then act quickly when the time is right.
    Why not say then . . "We are currently discussing keeping the Big XII afloat. Our teleconference focused on 3/4 essentials . . . . they are . . . We have been discussing our options with other BCS conferences if Course of Action 1 is not possible. The endless speculations by the media are fueling incredible distortions of fact. Rest easy ISU . . we will come out of this CRISIS in good order."

A dated short word speak release on the ISU website is not sufficient. The sign of great leadership is LEADING in a crisis. NOT silence (unless legally binding).

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303

Jamie's done as much as he can. He will not comment (missouri-esque) about movement to other conference while there is still a glimmer of hope for the remaining B12. A restructured B12 is still by far the best options with a potential improved TV contract, automatic BSC big, good bowl affiliations, rather than going on the open market, which appears to be a crapshoot and dependent on Kansas and everyone else's whim. Be patient and wait until Text dumps the conference middle of next week, then start expecting more communication with the fan base. Either way, there's probably not much to say, unless we go after the only sure thing move to CUSA, yuck. I'd rather we bide our time and wait for things to happen, then act quickly when the time is right.
    Nothing that JP can say right now. In fact, JP's has acted more professionally and respectably in this than virtually all other Big 12 AD's IMO.

Look at Missouri. They look like idiots right now for mouthing off for months about how they are headed to the Big 10. What good did that do for them?

KU's AD has been yapping his mouth too. Texas' AD can't shut up. They all look like idiots.

We have to trust that JP and GG will find the best option available to us. If we find out in the end that they chose a lesser of possible options... then we can start the campaign to get rid of them. But it does us no good for JP to come out right now and state that our number one option is the Big East and number two is MWC. That kills our chances of landing in the MWC most likely. It's best to work behind the scenes. That is the professional way to handle it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 81

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Why not say then . . "We are currently discussing keeping the Big XII afloat. Our teleconference focused on 3/4 essentials . . . . they are . . . We have been discussing our options with other BCS conferences if Course of Action 1 is not possible. The endless speculations by the media are fueling incredible distortions of fact. Rest easy ISU . . we will come out of this CRISIS in good order."

A dated short word speak release on the ISU website is not sufficient. The sign of great leadership is LEADING in a crisis. NOT silence (unless legally binding).
    see...

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Nothing that JP can say right now. In fact, JP's has acted more professionally and respectably in this than virtually all other Big 12 AD's IMO.

Look at Missouri. They look like idiots right now for mouthing off for months about how they are headed to the Big 10. What good did that do for them?

KU's AD has been yapping his mouth too. Texas' AD can't shut up. They all look like idiots.

We have to trust that JP and GG will find the best option available to us. If we find out in the end that they chose a lesser of possible options... then we can start the campaign to get rid of them. But it does us no good for JP to come out right now and state that our number one option is the Big East and number two is MWC. That kills our chances of landing in the MWC most likely. It's best to work behind the scenes. That is the professional way to handle it.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

see...
    I agree with all of that . . he can accomplish both. Manage the crisis by silent actions AND reassuring communications with Cyclone Nation at large.

My original thought was that the Register has never been very objective or fair regarding ISU. I have a fear their citations might convince any potential conference leaders that ISU is a second tier school . . because ISU is hated or attacked by its own media/state.

One side comment: I have also come to believe the "culture" of Iowa is unique. There is a "drone" mentality in this state. They attack anything that might threaten the vaunted position of the hawks/Iowa in this state. It is a generational culural bias. Unfortunately, these very same drones are sensing a great opportunity to "kill" ISU forever. This culurally rewarded view is now a real threat to ISU's future vitality as an academic/sports institution. Make no mistake . . the future of ISU is currently being sketched out by the Board of Regents and this anti ISU media. If Pollard fails . . ISU will be stripped clean and will become a UofI Ames campus.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

Agree - not sure what harm there is in keeping quiet at this time (other than short-term anxiety by fan base, which will go away once we know our ultimate destination). I can see lots of negatives around saying something that doesn't end up coming to fruition (ala Missouri to Big 10). Imagine if GG or JP were to announce there were discussions with, say, the Big East and we ultimately don't get an invite? Then whatever conference we end up in will seem much less attractive to the fan base. Better to let discussions occur behind the scenes and then put your best foot forward with the end-result (much the same as a coaching search).

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    I agree with all of that . . he can accomplish both. Manage the crisis by silent actions AND reassuring communications with Cyclone Nation at large.

My original thought was that the Register has never been very objective or fair regarding ISU. I have a fear their citations might convince any potential conference leaders that ISU is a second tier school . . because ISU is hated or attacked by its own media/state.

One side comment: I have also come to believe the "culture" of Iowa is unique. There is a "drone" mentality in this state. They attack anything that might threaten the vaunted position of the hawks/Iowa in this state. It is a generational culural bias. Unfortunately, these very same drones are sensing a great opportunity to "kill" ISU forever. This culurally rewarded view is now a real threat to ISU's future vitality as an academic/sports institution. Make no mistake . . the future of ISU is currently being sketched out by the Board of Regents and this anti ISU media. If Pollard fails . . ISU will be stripped clean and will become a UofI Ames campus.
    That's the DM Register's problem... not JP or GG's. Do you want JP to say more, or the DM Register? Which is it?