Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

BOYCOTT THE DM REGISTER!

The DM Register has made no pretense of objectivity in their coverage of Iowa State's conference situation. They have published EVERY negative rumor, and have not reported on the potential positive outcomes from the conference situation. This is slanted and biased journalism at it worst. I have taught journalism, worked for a major paper and have won awards for reporting. This "campaign" against Iowa State athletics is the worst example of political backroom reporting I have ever seen. I personally have written to the Register with NO response as have many others. The only option left is to BOYCOTT THE REGISTER. I urge all ISU fans to cancel their subscriptions immediately and don't support this anti ISU propaganda machine.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: BOYCOTT THE DM REGISTER!

I agree...there has been no mention of the possible Big East interest, no mention of a restructured Big 12, no mention of a meld of the MWC and Big 12 and no mention of what Iowa State brings to the table in the total package. For the Register, academics does not matter, only pimping Iowa State. I am cancelling today.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    The DM Register has made no pretense of objectivity in their coverage of Iowa State's conference situation. They have published EVERY negative rumor, and have not reported on the potential positive outcomes from the conference situation. This is slanted and biased journalism at it worst. I have taught journalism, worked for a major paper and have won awards for reporting. This "campaign" against Iowa State athletics is the worst example of political backroom reporting I have ever seen. I personally have written to the Register with NO response as have many others. The only option left is to BOYCOTT THE REGISTER. I urge all ISU fans to cancel their subscriptions immediately and don't support this anti ISU propaganda machine.
    I just deleted my DM Reg website bookmark last night and I am unfollowing them on twitter right now.

Twitter: ColbyDigsSoil
    Clash of Clans: Colby
    Untappd: ColbyDigsSoil

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have been boycotting the Register for a long time now. They are very biased in many ways and are part of the destruction of honest journalism. I will never buy register and have encouraged many to stop.

"Open the effin' canned peaches!"

Stay thirsty my friends.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 47

No offense, but there are positive outcome potentials? I thought it was pretty fair, ISU is completely 100% screwed, there is no way around that. Take the blinders off, this is the worst thing to ever happen to ISU athletics. And nothing else is even close.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

"Dear Subsriber...it is our feeling that the state or Iowa would be better served with only one university involved in major college athletics. We believe that that university should be the University of Iowa. Dollars could be save, along with duplication of efforts, if Iowa State would move to Division II status, and it would create more opportunities for our top school, the University or Iowa to prosper. The majority of our reporters are graduates of the University of Iowa, and they have looked at this objectively. It is time for all Iowa State supporters to understand realities, they should throw their support to University of Iowa athletics and concentrate on academic issues at Iowa State. It is our duty to help that happen, and we thank you for your concern."

This is what I would expect as an honest response.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 260

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    No offense, but there are positive outcome potentials? I thought it was pretty fair, ISU is completely 100% screwed, there is no way around that. Take the blinders off, this is the worst thing to ever happen to ISU athletics. And nothing else is even close.
    BINGO! Its a NEWSpaper, they don't make up unfounded scenarios in an attempt to make readers have some sense of optimism. There not going to spin this, it is what it is, there not a single paper that is going to make up news to make a school look good. Even the ISU Daily and the Ames Trib is shedding negative light on ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 97

We're pretty much screwed and hold no cards to effect that outcome.

I'm sorry the register and President Geoffrey are the bad guys for telling you the truth.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    BINGO! Its a NEWSpaper, they don't make up unfounded scenarios in an attempt to make readers have some sense of optimism. There not going to spin this, it is what it is, there not a single paper that is going to make up news to make a school look good. Even the ISU Daily and the Ames Trib is shedding negative light on ISU.
    They have not reported the potential positive outcomes to their readers, ONLY the negatives. That is not journalism. And they ARE making up scenarios to scare the readers imo.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460

I agree. Although it's not the Register's job to sell ISU to anyone, we all know how they would be treating Iowa if they were in our shoes right now.

I say that we send the DM Register the new bill to subsidize ISU athletics when we fall. Then you'd see an entirely different approach from them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 10

They have not reported the potential positive outcomes to their readers, ONLY the negatives. That is not journalism. And they ARE making up scenarios to scare the readers imo.

This is absolutely correct, anyone who has ever taken a journalism class knows this is how papers/reporters are supposed to be. Unfortunately, these type of "morals" has changed over the past 15-20 years. With the internet, and lack of responsibility, journalism has become a race for the best headline, no matter who it harms. There are positive outcomes in this story, but The Register will never look for positive news when it comes to ISU, the Gazette over in IC land does a much better job of showing support to ISU for sure. I have been against the Register for many years, unfortunately, it is pretty much all we have.

Shame on that publication and its "Hawkeye Only" bias.

Quote from imported_blubberhawk on HN after ISU beatdown of Iowa in Carver '14

"When you lose to a fricking joke of a program like ISU, you get what you deserve. That game is a perfect illustration of why our head coach should be retired.
    In defense of the Big ten network, it is tough to find Iowa games anymore when we aren't embarrassed."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 260

What positive outcomes are they not reporting?

They have continuously mentioned ISU to the MWC. The reason they have not mentioned anything about the Big East is because those "rumors" are coming from one single reporter, and his credibility, as well as his newspapers, is not strong. That rumor may have legs in the ISU fanbase, but that is just because we are so screwed that any bit of good news is refreshing, no matter what the source.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

The funny thing with the register is there are many Hawkeye fans that believe they are out to get them too and won't read the paper. Apparently the register is against everybody.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    What positive outcomes are they not reporting?

They have continuously mentioned ISU to the MWC. The reason they have not mentioned anything about the Big East is because those "rumors" are coming from one single reporter, and his credibility, as well as his newspapers, is not strong. That rumor may have legs in the ISU fanbase, but that is just because we are so screwed that any bit of good news is refreshing, no matter what the source.
    How about the possibility of the big 12 staying together, probably won't happen, but you should still talk about it, same with the A&M AD saying he would like to keep everyone together, they don't have to dig very far. They just don't like us, and it is Obvious. The do owe their readers, and a lot of them are ISU fans who deserve to see all the stories, not just the biased Registers view, that isn't how it is supposed to be.

Quote from imported_blubberhawk on HN after ISU beatdown of Iowa in Carver '14

"When you lose to a fricking joke of a program like ISU, you get what you deserve. That game is a perfect illustration of why our head coach should be retired.
    In defense of the Big ten network, it is tough to find Iowa games anymore when we aren't embarrassed."

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't live in Iowa so I'm not a subscriber. The paper is a piece of crap so I don't view it online either. There's much better coverage out there, Ames Trib, Omaha World Herald, etc.

As a best option, I'd suggest not posting or clicking on any links to the Rag. Page views are like sold subscriptions and they can use those statistics when selling to advertisers. So don't view it at all.

If you simply can't avoid looking over there, don't click through from CycloneFanatic or any other Cyclone site. They can tell where their page views are being redirected from. I Keeler writes an inflammatory article and we head there from here, they know that and it only fuels their fire. If you have to go over there, open a new browser window or tab first and then copy and paste the address in first or just nagivate your way to the article you want.