Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

David Miles (BoR) on Big10 Vote for Nebraska

David Miles, the President of the Board of Regents, sent me a good response to my letter from yesterday regarding the Big10 vote for Nebraska and gave me permission to post it here.

I think his reasoning is understandable. He basically says that the BoR doesn't normally manage the actions of the universities that directly. And while they could have intervened, they decided it wasn't worth breaking with precedent on a vote that wouldn't change the outcome. He then goes on to state that it's also important Iowa State knows it has the support of the rest of the state. My personal opinion is that they still aren't where they need to be on this and it'd be good to get a bit more vocal support from the BoR, state government, and other regent universities.

Here's the text of the letter:

Grant,

Thank you for this email.
    I want you to know that the entire Board of Regents supports Iowa State in this difficult situation. As president of the Board I have been working closely with President Geoffroy to help in every way to make the best of a very difficult situation.

Your point on the University of Iowa's vote in favor of accepting the University of Nebraska into the Big Ten is well taken. However, the vote was cast by President Mason, not by the Board of Regents. And that is an important distinction. As president of the University of Iowa, she has the same obligation to represent the interests of the University of Iowa as President Geoffroy has with respect to ISU.
    Should the Board have directed the University of Iowa to support ISU by voting no or abstaining on the Nebraska decision? That is a very fair question.

The Board's Administrative Procedures expressly delegate responsibility and authority for the administration of athletics to the president of each university. From the research provided to me by our staff, it would have been unprecedented for the Board to have directed the president of one of our universities how to vote on this sort of issue. While governance of the institutions is in the hands of the Board, each of our presidents must know that we respect and support their role as the chief executive of their respective institution.

Moreover, as you noted, the outcome for Iowa State would not have been different if the University of Iowa had voted differently. You are also correct that there are events taking place that are beyond the control of ISU, the Board, or the Big 12. We remain focused on doing those things that will improve the outcome for Iowa State.

Still, I know that it is important that we not only support ISU, but that ISU alumni, fans, and supporters know that we support Iowa State. To that end, today I issued a second statement of support for ISU, President Geoffroy and Athletic Director Pollard. In that statement I say in part that all Iowans -- not just Cyclone fans -- have a stake in the continued success of Iowa State.

Iowa State University is an outstanding institution academically and in terms of its athletic programs. Athletic conferences have changed before, and will again. While I would not pretend that what is happening right now is good for ISU in the near term, I am confident that Iowa State will come through this, and build upon its academic, research and enrollment strength. And yes, you will be able to bring your children back to an even stronger Iowa State one day to share your stories with them.

Grant, ISU is indeed fortunate to have alumni such as you who so passionately support the institution.

Regards,
    Dave Miles

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 249

Re: David Miles (BoR) on Big10 Vote for Nebraska

If I was Sally Mason, whose job it is to do what is best for UIowa, and adding NU to the Big Ten is best for UIowa, and the BoR told me to vote against it, I would have resigned on the spot.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PDXCyclone View Post
    David Miles, the President of the Board of Regents, sent me a good response to my letter from yesterday regarding the Big10 vote for Nebraska and gave me permission to post it here.

I think his reasoning is understandable. He basically says that the BoR doesn't normally manage the actions of the universities that directly. And while they could have intervened, they decided it wasn't worth breaking with precedent on a vote that wouldn't change the outcome. He then goes on to state that it's also important Iowa State knows it has the support of the rest of the state. My personal opinion is that they still aren't where they need to be on this and it'd be good to get a bit more vocal support from the BoR, state government, and other regent universities.

Here's the text of the letter:
    A very fair response. Also impressive with the speed in which he got back to you. I do agree with him that it looks dark now, but that ISU will come out OK in the long run.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 92

He makes a very good point. They appoint people to do these jobs and need to let them do those jobs. I can understand this. I don't really have a problem with the vote. I have more of a problem with the support we seem to get from them.

It's all snark from here on out

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

PDXCyclone -- Thank you so much for posting this and thanks again for putting together such a great original letter!!!

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    If I was Sally Mason, whose job it is to do what is best for UIowa, and adding NU to the Big Ten is best for UIowa, and the BoR told me to vote against it, I would have resigned on the spot.
    Yup.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 34

Nice response. I can appreciate that.

I still think that it could be argued that Sally Mason probably could have voted no, even though it was against their best interest, since it wouldn't have mattered. I think a nice sign of solidarity would be good.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

THIS was the statement he should have put out.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 17

Classy response. Thanks for posting, PDX.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Poland had the "support" of the west in 1940 too.

Lack of direct action didn't do much for them for the next fifty-some years