Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Success of College Sports Networks

With all this talk of teams heading to the big ten for more revenue and superconferences forming their own tv networks I wanted to point out that one of the reasons the Big Ten Network has been successful is because it has no competition. If three or four more college sports networks pop up then revenue almost has to go down especially since the product that the big ten puts onto the field is not the most attractive. Which would you rather watch Penn State versus Ohio State or Texas versus USC personally i think these huge conferences will not work because there just too big and with competition these networks might not work out.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 15

Re: Success of College Sports Networks

This is the exact reason as to why the Big 10 is looking to expand their television footprint.
    They know they may get dropped in a few markets if additional TV networks come aboard. But any local teams will fight to have the BTN in their market.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Block920 View Post
    With all this talk of teams heading to the big ten for more revenue and superconferences forming their own tv networks I wanted to point out that one of the reasons the Big Ten Network has been successful is because it has no competition. If three or four more college sports networks pop up then revenue almost has to go down especially since the product that the big ten puts onto the field is not the most attractive. Which would you rather watch Penn State versus Ohio State or Texas versus USC personally i think these huge conferences will not work because there just too big and with competition these networks might not work out.
    I'd rather watch OSU vs PSU because that would be conference games...which is why the entire premise of your idea is flawed. People in the upper midwest want to watch Big 10 football because they're the local teams. And there are A LOT of people in that area.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 214

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I'd rather watch OSU vs PSU because that would be conference games...which is why the entire premise of your idea is flawed. People in the upper midwest want to watch Big 10 football because they're the local teams. And there are A LOT of people in that area.
    I live in the upper midwest, and I would watch Texas USC. Recently, these two teams have played a more exciting brand of football.

True, the Great Lakes region has a good amount of people who really like college football.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

A PSU/OSU match-up would not be on the BTN, and it's not likely that a Texas/USC match-up would be on a Pac 16 Network either.

So far, the only games that have been on the BTN are games that would have been on ESPN Plus in the past. ABC/ESPN still get their first pick each Saturday, the BTN picks up the rest.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    I live in the upper midwest, and I would watch Texas USC. Recently, these two teams have played a more exciting brand of football.

True, the Great Lakes region has a good amount of people who really like college football.
    Well yeah, I wouldn't expect 100% of the people in any area to prefer one team.

My point was that it isn't about "brand of football" it's about who people want to watch.

In Ohio most people would rather watch OSU vs the Christian Nuns of the Blind than watch USC vs Texas.

In Alabama, Alabama vs Jacksonville Tech than OSU vs Michigan.

In California they'd rather watch USC vs Silicon Valley A&M than Florida vs FSU.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,244
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 156

If these super conferences come to fruition, yes these TV networks will become unmanageable. Think of it this way: if you have 4, 5 or 6 TV networks that are regionally based, you will have customers (and more importantly Vegas) requesting that there be a way to get every channel available for entertainment purposes (sports-betting). When cable companies say, OK we will provide all the "College Football Network" channels on our basic package, cable and satellite bills will have to increase. Sorry, there are a lot of football fans, but more people watch American Idol and other reality programming. The reality TV fans will be the viewers that say "I'm not paying for this" and request that the college football networks be moved to an a-la-carte package.