Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 0

In the long run... MWC > Big East IMO

I understand everyone hoping we land in the Big East, it has a larger market and for the most part better teams too.

However, I think the population centers out west will continue to grow, and I sincerely believe that the MWC is the much SAFER choice in the long run right now.

The Pac 10 will become the Pac 16 here shortly. And they will stop at 16. The Big 10 is FAR from done expanding. If you think the Big 10 is done with just adding Nebraska, you're kidding yourself. The Big 10 will ruin anything in order to get what it wants. They've already proven that.

So... IMO... if we join the Big East next week, it will only be a year or so before the Big 10 raids the Big East to get to their 16 teams. Then we'll be sitting in the exact same situation as we are right now.... again.

Nobody will be raiding the new MWC conference in the future IMO. Who would? The Pac 16 won't.

With all that being said, I will be happy if we join the Big East... I'll just have to cross my fingers that it all works out... and if the Big 10 comes in and takes Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt.... just hope that the Big East will be able to find replacements?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,061
    Given: 559

Re: In the long run... MWC > Big East IMO

Some good points there. I like the possibilities of the MWC, but it's more attractive if they keep Utah from running to the PAC 10

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 68

If Kansas is not asked to join the Pac 10 we take ISU, KU,KS & Mo and go to the BIg East and convince the teams that plan Div 1 football to become part of the New BIg 12. The reamining teams are the Big East basketball conference.

Walk On
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Would you rather be in a stable conference that does not have BCS status?

My vote is to go to the conference that has the highest status. Stay there as long as possible. Make as many improvements to the program as possible. If you go to one of lesser status, you sort of surrender before its over.

Who knows what will happen with the Big East, but it has the most potential for cable television contracts. That is where the revenue stream is.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 20

At this point in time I feel the BE just has too much to offer compared to the MWC. I realize there's a risk of losing teams but I really wonder if they'd lose all that many. And who's to say that the MWC (if they stop for now with the addition of Boise State) won't be available later if the BE did fall apart. Right now it's all a big gamble and hopefully we make the right decision for ISU whatever it turns out to be. But if somehow Kansas gets an invite to the Pac10 and/or Mizzou somehow finds itself with an invite to the SEC it may not matter.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AlumfromAmes View Post
    Would you rather be in a stable conference that does not have BCS status?

My vote is to go to the conference that has the highest status. Stay there as long as possible. Make as many improvements to the program as possible. If you go to one of lesser status, you sort of surrender before its over.

Who knows what will happen with the Big East, but it has the most potential for cable television contracts. That is where the revenue stream is.
    That is the question, you are correct. Would a short, but possibly a lucrative stay in the Big East be preferrable over a more safe, long term situation in the MWC? I think the MWC immediately becomes an AQ conference if ISU, KU, KSU, and MU all join. The BCS wants to have 6 AQ conferences. They don't want there to be only 4, because then there would be the threat of a 4 team playoff, which they don't want.

With the Big 12 dead.... they would make the new MWC an AQ conference for sure IMO.

Walk On
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 23

I would prefer a conference where everybody plays football.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    That is the question, you are correct. Would a short, but possibly a lucrative stay in the Big East be preferrable over a more safe, long term situation in the MWC? I think the MWC immediately becomes an AQ conference if ISU, KU, KSU, and MU all join. The BCS wants to have 6 AQ conferences. They don't want there to be only 4, because then there would be the threat of a 4 team playoff, which they don't want.

With the Big 12 dead.... they would make the new MWC an AQ conference for sure IMO.

I just posted this in another thread. I don't see the same rosy outlook about MWC AQ status.

I fear that the MWC isn't ever going to get it's AQ status. Even if they add the Big XII leftovers, the conference is still too watered down. Hypothetically speaking, say the MWC puts in their application for AQ the same day as the PAC-16 puts in their application for a second AQ bid (with possibility of 3rd BCS bowl possibility).

However, if the NCAA doesn't give these "super conferences" an additional BCS bid, the conferences will likely be short lived. Lots of teams won't be too content to see USC and Texas take the only 2 available BCS slots every year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

If KU goes P10 and Utah stays in the MWC, then I am "ok" with MWC. If P10 takes Utah, I would much rather go BE so long as KU, KSU, MIZZOU are with us.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Big 10 WILL raid the Big East... it's just a matter of when?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

I guess I could also see us wanting to maintain a conf with some Texas schools even if they aren't the "big ones".

I revanped MWC could include Baylor along with TCU. Maybe even a Houston.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    I guess I could also see us wanting to maintain a conf with some Texas schools even if they aren't the "big ones".

I revanped MWC could include Baylor along with TCU. Maybe even a Houston.
    Yes. Being in a conference with some Texas schools helps recruiting a TON! We get a lot of really good talent from Texas because we are always traveling down there to play other teams from Texas. Parents love nothing more than to see their kids play... and to not have to go far to see them.

If we were in a conference with some Texas teams like Baylor, TCU, Houston, etc... I would predict that we would be able to out-recruit Nebraska in Texas EASILY.

You make a great point.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I understand everyone hoping we land in the Big East, it has a larger market and for the most part better teams too.

However, I think the population centers out west will continue to grow, and I sincerely believe that the MWC is the much SAFER choice in the long run right now.

The Pac 10 will become the Pac 16 here shortly. And they will stop at 16. The Big 10 is FAR from done expanding. If you think the Big 10 is done with just adding Nebraska, you're kidding yourself. The Big 10 will ruin anything in order to get what it wants. They've already proven that.

So... IMO... if we join the Big East next week, it will only be a year or so before the Big 10 raids the Big East to get to their 16 teams. Then we'll be sitting in the exact same situation as we are right now.... again.

Nobody will be raiding the new MWC conference in the future IMO. Who would? The Pac 16 won't.

With all that being said, I will be happy if we join the Big East... I'll just have to cross my fingers that it all works out... and if the Big 10 comes in and takes Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt.... just hope that the Big East will be able to find replacements?
    Good points but the Big 10 would only take 2 teams from the Big East, Rutgers and Syracuse. Of course they would take Notre Dame but they aren't a Big East football school. They won't take Pittsburgh, why would they? They have the Pittsburgh area covered with Penn State.

So they take Rutgers, that won't hurt much. The basketball team is irrelevant every year and the football team has been good for maybe a year and a half. Syracuse basketball wise would hurt but football wise? Again, the last few years they've been one of the worst programs in the nation. The Big East could add Central Florida and/or Memphis and still be ok. I would much MUCH rather have the clones in the Big East. Again though, these are all just rumors and really, I'm not even sure God knows what is going to happen.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 920
    Given: 69

I'm not saying that MWC is a better option than the Big East, but it does have some things going for it.

1) While neither the MWC or Big East have very valuable TV deals currently, the MWC is up to renew theirs at the end of the 2011 season, I believe. For the Big East, they'll have to wait until 2013. That makes a difference.

2) I believe the Mountain West Sports Network is partially owned by Comcast, the largest cable company in the country. They have subscribers in 39 states. That guarantees viewing availability for much of the country.

3) At least initially, there's a greater chance for success for ISU's sports teams. We would be a slightly bigger fish to the MWC than the Big East. I don't know if that counts for much, but it is a difference.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

All good points here, but we need to remember the PAC-11 is just that...11. It is unclear what they will do as they have not officially invited any other teams as it is being reported. I am not certain the MWC will get an a****id, and the media markets in those parts are few and far between.

If this is all about media markets to bring stability, then we need to go somewhere with media markets a plenty. Obviously that is where college football is going for stability...that is the conference war now. We would be making NO money and we would not be seen. It is like being on a deserted island.

I wouldn't worry about recruiting in the Big East...great players out there in the Ohio valley and east coast.