Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Why don't the remainders get aggressive?!!

What the remaining BIG 12 members (Mizzou, Baylor, ISU, KU, Kst) have to offer is a BCS berth and a chance to make things right that went horribly wrong the first time. Each of the remainders is set to make millions off of the defectors and there are schools that are willing to be plucked away from their current conferneces that could make the BIG 12 viable again rather than joining a Big East that could potentially be as unstable, as the BIG 12 was.

To make this happen, I think there are 4 schools you must get: TCU, Houston, Louisville and Memphis. All are pretty much guaranteed to come aboard if there is some semblence of structure and they are in pretty solid TV markets, and all fairly located geographically.

From there you ask Cincinnati if they are willing to travel to Baylor, TCU and Houston. If so, they are in.

Then you pick 2 (or 3 if Cincy won't do it) from this group to finish out the 12: UTEP, SMU, UAB, Rice.

Personally I hope for Cincy accepting and UTEP/SMU to join. Conference would look like this.

(North) ISU, Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Cincy

(South) TCU, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, UTEP, SMU

It's not "sexy" like the old BIG 12, but it is doable and would keep our BCS eligibility. I just think it is crazy that the schools remaining don't salvage something, especially when they are going to get paid for the others leaving and there are schools willing to join us (probably under new supervision however, sorry Mr. Beebe).

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

Re: Why don't the remainders get aggressive?!!

I think you get that aggressive the minute you know that all of the rest of the teams are on board. Missouri is still looking over their shoulder for a Big 10 invite that could come if ND decides to join. First domino to fall is the 5 to the Pac 10, making it the first 16 team conference. If TX were to abandon some of the others and go Big 10, a big shocker, I think you'd have to work less hard at fixing the Big XII. I might take BYU or Air Force over some of those Texas teams, but your idea is sound.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 1,004

I hope we are aggressively looking for a parachute, like to the Big East.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I hope we are aggressively looking for a parachute, like to the Big East.
    I'm curious as to why? Why make the move to the Big East as opposed to saving something here?

We can take any school we want pretty much, in my belief, in the western half of that conference as they are on shaky ground anyway. You might even be able to persuade West Virginia, but I think it is likely they go to the ACC or SEC.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,095
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 5

So far only 2 teams have left and it that just happened in the last 24 to 48 hours. You can't start replacing all of these teams until they officially leave and Iowa State can't get too aggressive about finding another conference unless the other teams leave or they will get stuck with a $10 mil buyout.

I'm sure there are scenarios being talked about behind the scenes but they can't come out until the mass exodus happens.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 115

I think it makes way more sense to merge with that conference. It sounds like they want us, and if they all agree to stay, bring us in, and get a Big East Network going, it will be a MUCH better situation for everyone.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,398
    Given: 656

The Remainders? I prefer Leftovers. I mean, some things are better as leftovers, like cold pizza. I could get with the idea of being cold pizza.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    So far only 2 teams have left and it that just happened in the last 24 to 48 hours. You can't start replacing all of these teams until they officially leave and Iowa State can't get too aggressive about finding another conference unless the other teams leave or they will get stuck with a $10 mil buyout.

I'm sure there are scenarios being talked about behind the scenes but they can't come out until the mass exodus happens.

I understand that. Of course my scenario would be hinged on the others leaving, which at this point is a foregone conclusion as it stands. It would be great if they stayed, that would be my overwhelming first option.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,398
    Given: 656

Remainders makes me think of junior high math. That's not a good thing. On that note, we could also be the Fractions, but that doesn't solve my problem, does it? We could also be called The Shunned? Or how about the Pariahs?

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CydeOut View Post
    I'm curious as to why? Why make the move to the Big East as opposed to saving something here?

We can take any school we want pretty much, in my belief, in the western half of that conference as they are on shaky ground anyway. You might even be able to persuade West Virginia, but I think it is likely they go to the ACC or SEC.
    The unfortunate reality is that none of those that are left are draws for other quality teams. Additionally, the Big 12 would lose its BCS standing unless you convince LSU, Arkansas, UCLA, Pittsburgh, Auburn, and a few other big names to make that jump. The Big 12 isn't a BCS conference by adding Utah, Boise St. Louisville, and Westen Michigan. The best cards that can fall are going to be aTm to the Pac-16, and the Big Ten and SEC not taking anyone else. That would open up the Big East for us. The only concern there is that the Big East will struggle to keep its BCS standing in the future.

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I understand that. Of course my scenario would be hinged on the others leaving, which at this point is a foregone conclusion as it stands. It would be great if they stayed, that would be my overwhelming first option.
    I like your proposed scenario because:

1) We get to keep all the defcetion money
    2) We get to keep ties to some long time foes
    3) We can realisitcally compete in said conference

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I think it makes way more sense to merge with that conference. It sounds like they want us, and if they all agree to stay, bring us in, and get a Big East Network going, it will be a MUCH better situation for everyone.

I disagree with that, it definitely doesn't make way more sense to merge with them. In football we would have to travel to Rutgers (NY or NJ, can't remember), Syracuse (NY), UCONN (you can figure that out), USF (FL), Pitt (PA)...these places aren't next door. In basketball, you add Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. Johns to these other trips, that wipes out a school's budget, especially a school like ours. Now think of that happening for every sport we have...I don't think that makes much sense.

If we stay as geographically close as possible and rework our TV deal like we are supposed to, I think the upfront money may not be as good, but our net money would be much better in the end, in my opinion.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 1,004

Basically your north division looks like what the Big East West would, but we would get DePaul and Marquette in basketball and be plugged into a great bball conference. I am just not excited about the remaining teams in the west/south. Your scenario isn't a bad thing though and much better than some alternatives. Also, I really want to lose the Big 12 label. It is tainted for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that none of those that are left are draws for other quality teams. Additionally, the Big 12 would lose its BCS standing unless you convince LSU, Arkansas, UCLA, Pittsburgh, Auburn, and a few other big names to make that jump. The Big 12 isn't a BCS conference by adding Utah, Boise St. Louisville, and Westen Michigan. The best cards that can fall are going to be aTm to the Pac-16, and the Big Ten and SEC not taking anyone else. That would open up the Big East for us. The only concern there is that the Big East will struggle to keep its BCS standing in the future.
    This also raises some of the issues.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 115

I disagree with that, it definitely doesn't make way more sense to merge with them. In football we would have to travel to Rutgers (NY or NJ, can't remember), Syracuse (NY), UCONN (you can figure that out), USF (FL), Pitt (PA)...these places aren't next door. In basketball, you add Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. Johns to these other trips, that wipes out a school's budget, especially a school like ours. Now think of that happening for every sport we have...I don't think that makes much sense.

If we stay as geographically close as possible and rework our TV deal like we are supposed to, I think the upfront money may not be as good, but our net money would be much better in the end, in my opinion.
    Rework with who? The whole Big 12 south is bolting except Baylor. We need a BCS home. If the Big East remained a BCS league with 8 teams, it will remain BCS by adding 4 other members of BCS conferences.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I agree somewhat with what you are saying, however I don't think the BCS will pull our automatic berth right away. I think there will be a grace period there. Also, by adding two other BCS conference teams (Louisville and Cincy) and a team that has been to a BCS bowl (TCU), we are showing the BCS that our conference still has BCS viability.

Plus, I think if we get Louisville and Cincy from the Big East, Big East football crumbles and one more berth opens up.