Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Make the Big East Bulletproof

The big east may be the best option. Get to 12 in football, 20 in bball. Have all members agree to an absurd buyout figure of $100,000,000. This would be a poison pill for raiding the conference. Their TV market is huge. They will get a network or an SEC type package. The beuaty is that ND stays independent as long as they want in football. When the other conferences want to expand and create a super 16 system with the four champs in a playoff for the national title and try to leverage ND into their conference, we add three more teams and ND brings their football into the conference (bball goes to 24 with two tweleve team divisions). When it comes down to a one in four shot to play for the nat'l championship, who do you think ND is going to want to play for the opportunity to get there; the teams in the Big 10, PAC 16, the SEC, or the newly assembled big east. Their ride through the big east toward a nat'l title will be a little more smooth than the other options. If the newly formed big east holds tight, the only other option for conference raiding is the ACC and I think that is where the 3 extra teams would come from for the big east. As I heard Hannibal Smith say tonight, I love it when a plan comes together.

Dogs look up to you, cats look down at you, give me a pig. They just look you in the eyes and treat you as an equal - churchill

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

Re: Make the Big East Bulletproof

No school would agree to that buyout. None.

Walk On
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No school would agree to that buyout. None.
    I get what you are saying, and 100mm might be too high, but if unless you want your conference to get poached you have to have something. I bet if the big 10 invited any of the stranded 5 in with a 100mm buyout stipulation the Pres. and AD would cut thier finger and sign in blood before the contract hit the table. Hey we had way more than enough nukes to take out Russia (and they to take us out) mutually assured self destruction is not always a bad thing.

Dogs look up to you, cats look down at you, give me a pig. They just look you in the eyes and treat you as an equal - churchill

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

thats stupid, signing something with no lock on the future.

What if Big East sucks and we somehow get a deal into Big 10 in the future? then what

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 27

Why do people keep insisting the Big East basketball conference needs to be 20+ teams? I think that at 20 teams you would just separate into two different conferences for basketball.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I guess you are right. I am sure glad that the big 12 did not have something like that in place. It would have sucked to have had nebby or colorado have to stay because there was a poison pill that they had to swallow. The big 12 did not suck and it still blew up. THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE GETTING INVITED TO THE BIG 10. THEY DO NOT WANT US.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by im4isu View Post
    I guess you are right. I am sure glad that the big 12 did not have something like that in place. It would have sucked to have had nebby or colorado have to stay because there was a poison pill that they had to swallow. The big 12 did not suck and it still blew up. THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE GETTING INVITED TO THE BIG 10. THEY DO NOT WANT US.

u are not getting the point.

every move you do must have a fall out plan. Again, what if big east ended up being a POS and a better opportunity is given to us, what are you going to do now that you are stuck with it?

you always leave an opening for options no matter what you do, your an idiot if you dont because no matter what, things will change, and you have to adapt to it

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 27

THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE GETTING INVITED TO THE BIG 10. THEY DO NOT WANT US.
    I agree because we bring nothing to them financially. It's a sad day in college sports where sports revenues trump academics but it's where we are now.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

OK, I get your point. I'm just sick of getting peed on. Whenever there has been a change it seems like our team always get left holding the diaper.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydwinder View Post
    I agree because we bring nothing to them financially. It's a sad day in college sports where sports revenues trump academics but it's where we are now.

we are not that highly ranked in academics compared to the big 10, stop putting that into play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,196
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 67

ISU needs to be a little patient and we'll find a good spot where we can thrive.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 21

The big east may be the best option. Get to 12 in football, 20 in bball. Have all members agree to an absurd buyout figure of $100,000,000. This would be a poison pill for raiding the conference. Their TV market is huge. They will get a network or an SEC type package. The beuaty is that ND stays independent as long as they want in football. When the other conferences want to expand and create a super 16 system with the four champs in a playoff for the national title and try to leverage ND into their conference, we add three more teams and ND brings their football into the conference (bball goes to 24 with two tweleve team divisions). When it comes down to a one in four shot to play for the nat'l championship, who do you think ND is going to want to play for the opportunity to get there; the teams in the Big 10, PAC 16, the SEC, or the newly assembled big east. Their ride through the big east toward a nat'l title will be a little more smooth than the other options. If the newly formed big east holds tight, the only other option for conference raiding is the ACC and I think that is where the 3 extra teams would come from for the big east. As I heard Hannibal Smith say tonight, I love it when a plan comes together.

Right, nice buyout. I don't think you get this- schools want to move. Even if we all get together and form a new Big East, and the Big 10 comes calling for ISU in 5 years, ISU will want to move. And thus ISU will want to sign only a buyout that they can afford. Buyouts can't me made because you are so frightened of getting dumped.

It's like locking your wife 24 x 7 in your house because you are afraid she may have an affair.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

Exclamation Re: Make the Big East Bulletproof

Quote Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post
    we are not that highly ranked in academics compared to the big 10, stop putting that into play.
    What exactly does this mean? A couple of newsmagazines rate various university degree programs and somebody else generates a university ranking list from those. ISU churns out engineers and scientists; EIU gives the world English Lit majors, social workers, lawyers and dentists. I'm not willing to accept the notion that UI is a better school than ISU. Other than Northwestern or Michigan, the prospect of sending one of my children off to a Big Ten institution doesn't intrigue me...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Recruit
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

It is and has been a conference in flux. What do you do with the basically mid majors that they have as members. (Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, Depaul, Villanova, St. Johns, etc.) Why you can call them mid majors, is that they KNOW that if they tried to do football it would flop in their faces. Also, it is not like this twelve team football conference is going to be that good. Even though they have BCS standing now, if the leftover 4 went to the MWC, it would have BCS standing very shortly. Also there are better football traditions in the MWC. Not even comparable. A great deal of the programs in the Big East are under 20 years old. Also you know that S. FL would go to the SEC or possible ACC in a heartbeat, where as if you go to the MWC, it becomes quite strong, and much more solidified. It will renew old rivalries, such as Baylor TCU, and the Kansas and CSU are going to be great games, as there is not much love lost between them. It also could become a great basketball conference, by adding KU alone, it will raise everyone elses bar in the conference, and I think be arguably as strong as the Pac 10 in hoops.

MWC=Good
    Big East=?

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 304

I believe you take the best short term option at this point. Then when things stabilize plan a move then.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts