Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 191

Travis Paulson to represent US World Team at 74kg!

This just in from @CycloneWR:

Travis Paulson defeats Howe from Wisconsin to earn the right to represent the United States World Team at 74 kg (163 lbs.)

Twitter: ColbyDigsSoil
    Clash of Clans: Colby
    Untappd: ColbyDigsSoil

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

Re: Travis Paulson to represent US World Team at 74kg!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always though Trent was the better wrestler. Is it just the international weight class is better suited for Travis?

XBOX Live Gamertag: Mr Slip Wiggles

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 59

Congrats Travis. Saw that one Cyclones.com.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I always though Trent was the better wrestler. Is it just the international weight class is better suited for Travis?
    Perhaps you know already, but they actually wrestled for the first time in competition. Trent move up a weight class. Obviously Travis won (a close one). Trent was on the World Team last year, but Travis wasn't.

Previously they were always at different weight classes so they didn't have to wrestle, Trent at the lower one.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There are more wrestling articles here at the Council Bluffs Nonpareil website, including at least two on the Paulsons:

Daily Nonpareil Online > Sports

In high school Travis and Trent wrestled at Council Bluffs Lewis Central, and Council Bluffs is where the world team trials were held. Obviously there are also articles at wrestling specific websites like intermat and themat.com, and I think a Google search would show that USA Today also had an article on the Paulsons before the tournament (on the twin, never having wrestled before in competition, aspect).

Congratulations, Travis (and Trent)! Keep at it, start winning some world titles, and hope you both make the next Olympics.

Last edited by Clone83; 06-13-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Below is that USA Today article, from before their match, which Travis won in two straight periods 1-0 and 2-1. I've copied most of it, but there is more at the link. The USA Today article talks some about the weight issue, and their plans for the Olympics. Just above that though I've posted a link to the article about their match at themat.com.

Travis Paulson downs twin brother Trent Paulson as World Team Trials kick off in Council Bluffs | TheMat.com - USA Wrestling

Paulson twins may grapple for a world championships berth - USATODAY.com

Twin brothers Trent and Travis Paulson are back in their hometown of Council Bluffs, Iowa, where as toddlers they had rugged wrestling matches on the family horse farm. This weekend, they may wrestle each other for the first time for keeps with a berth in the world championships at stake.

"From the time we could walk, we were wrestling on the carpets, putting holes in the dry wall, just going after each other non-stop," says Trent.

"My parents would sometimes make the mistake of leaving us in the house alone when they went out to do the horse chores, and it would just be a real rumble from then on."

USA Wrestling is holding its world team trials in Council Bluffs in advance of the September worlds in Russia. The 27-year-old twins, accustomed to wrestling in different weight classes, both are in the 163-pound freestyle class this year. They could meet Friday.

"I'm sure they're going to take wrestling one another, if that occasion arises, a lot better than we are," says their father, Nick.

The preview of the potential match-up from Keith Massey, who coached them as state champs at Lewis Central High School: "I just see them as nine-year-olds going in there and beating the crap out of each other and just going non-stop. I'm sure if it gets heated enough, they'll just go outside afterwards."

Massey was kidding about taking it outside.

"I know what he's gonna do. He knows what I'm gonna do," says Travis. " {hellip} We're just going to lay it on the line, and then no hard feelings after."

During their All-American college careers at Iowa State, Trent wrestled at 157 pounds. Travis competed at 165. Last year in freestyle, Trent won the U.S. freestyle title at 145.5 pounds. Travis was the U.S. champion at 163.

At the start of this season, both moved up a weight from last year. Trent went to from 145.5 to 163; Travis went from 163 to 185.

But there are only seven weights in freestyle, as opposed to 10 in college. Eventually this year, the brothers decided the same weight class was best for both.

"It was really difficult for me to make that (145.5 pounds) so I had to move up, and he wasn't quite big enough for (185)," says Trent. "So being identical twins, it kind of worked out that (163) was the ideal weight for both of us."

That is just for this year. Both have an eye toward making the 2012 Olympic team.
    "The Olympic year we'll definitely be different weights," says Trent. "It's just that we haven't decided whether I'll cut back down or he'll have to beef up a little bit."

Travis: "It's been our goal our whole lives to be on the team together." . . . . . . . .