Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Defensive Line and Linebacker?

My biggest concern entering this season is our D line. Who do we have besides Curvey and Moorehead? Will we have another quality starter on the interior and at end? Will we have any depth?

My second biggest concern is linebacker. Losing Matt Robertson was a blow, it means we lost all three starters from the end of last year. Carper has some talent coming back and I've heard good things about McKenzie. Again, will we have another quality starter and will we have any depth?

We need a stout defense to have success against this year's schedule.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 107
    I understand the concern at DL, but dont forget about Alvin "Ace" Bowen at the other LB position. He made the field quite a few times for it being his first year with a lot of depth at the position. He might not be biggest, but hes tall and he certainly has speed to be quite a playmaker on defense IMO. He showed flashes of brilliance in his limited time last year.
    Maybe they if one of the Fishers doesnt work out at OL, they can stick him on the DL and take up a lil' space.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0
    LB is one area I am least concerned with. We will have three solid starters and Jesse Smith appears to be a stud in the making at MLB to back up McKenzie. Also, I would not doubt it if both Means and Gerren, two incoming freshmen, play some this year in backup spots, unless Josh Raven can beat one of them out.

D-line is a different matter. I think we have some good starters and good depth at DE, and several of the incoming freshmen (Parker, Alburtis) might give even more depth if they are not redshirted.

It's the middle I'm most concerned about. Some of those concerns were alleviated after the spring game when Braaksma played very well. Then we have Dale and Berg as backups and both have earned the praise of coaches, so we will at least have bodies to fill in and give the starters a breather.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Your forgetting that we have the best Defensive tackle in the conference in Brent Curvey. He will domand a double team in all games this year making it much easier for another lineman to get in the backfield.

God Bless America

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I wasn't forgetting Curvey. I thought that was a given. I was talking about the other spot in the DL.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I believe that John Skladany will have these guys ready to perform. However, we will need to be patient until these guys get some game day experience.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Recruit
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I think that Braaksma will be a stud this year. Carstens started as a walk-on and turned into a force, i am not going to predict that, but dont underestimate him. He is very quick, is very smart, and is a hard worker.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152
    My concern with the d-line is Curvey will be forced to do too much...the offense will focus on him and he won't have near the year he's had in the past.

Last year we had the likes of Berryman, Curvey, Leaders and Moorehead on the line. Who were you going to double and then who were you going to let roam free? Ya just really could not do that.

Now, we've got Curvey and Moorhead. While the other two guys won't be slouches, until proven - they won't see near the attention Curvey and Moorehead will - mainly Curvey.

Our defensive success really rides on the shoulders of the guys filling the two empty spots. If they can do an adequate job, we'll be just fine. If not, it could be a long season for our defense.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    I'm worried about DL, LB AND DB. On the DL, I think Braaksma will do a decent job, but I'd like to see Dale and Berg mix in and play a little. I also wonder about the pass rush...can Taylor and Moorehead consistantly get pressure? I'm hoping Parker can help out there. At LB, I'm concerned about them being physical against big RBs, but mostly I'm worried about depth. It scares me that there are only 6 scholarship LBs and two are true freshmen. At DB, it's inexperience that is an issue. Will they screw up and give up the big play? I'm not sold on Banks, either.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    I'm worried about DL, LB AND DB. On the DL, I think Braaksma will do a decent job, but I'd like to see Dale and Berg mix in and play a little. I also wonder about the pass rush...can Taylor and Moorehead consistantly get pressure? I'm hoping Parker can help out there. At LB, I'm concerned about them being physical against big RBs, but mostly I'm worried about depth. It scares me that there are only 6 scholarship LBs and two are true freshmen. At DB, it's inexperience that is an issue. Will they screw up and give up the big play? I'm not sold on Banks, either.

I think I am on the completely opposite side of the fence then you are. I think Braaksma will have a very solid year with the constant double teams that Curvey will demand. We all know Moorehead is a solid vet. Between Kurtis Taylor, John Machado and either Alburtis or Parker I think our Rush End will get the job done. The LB'ers are going to be very fast and will be flying all over the field to the ball. Again, I understand the concern about depth but Jesse Smith has been turning heads all spring with his play, so has Josh Raven. I havent heard much about Nick Frere, if he is playing DE or LB, but Im sure he will provide some solid depth wherever needed and then you throw in FR Kris Means (who I think is going to have an amazing career as Clone) and Fred Garin and our LB'ers will be just fine. If not sold on Banks then I dont know what to tell you? He beat out Caleb Berg who has thought to have been the obvious replacement for Nick Moser and wasnt expected to be much of a drop off. Banks is the real deal! We need some more optimists around here!

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Actually, Smith beat out Berg. Banks is replacing Paris.

I also think Braaksma will have a solid year. I'm a little more concerned about the pass rush. Moorehead did fine last year when Berryman was keeping the RB on his side. I think that Moorehead would do better against a RT without a RB to help. If Moorehead is the RE and Taylor is the DE, I think that there will be a problem getting to the QB. That's why I'm hoping Parker steps up on passing downs.

For the overall D, I think it will be great playing with a lead. It's going to have plenty of speed and should be able to blitz from everywhere. I'm worried about the D in close games against physical offenses.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX