Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: World Cup 2010

  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 27,419, Level: 50
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CRCy17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colonia, NJ
    Posts
    841
    Points
    27,419
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    World Cup 2010

    It's finally here folks, World Cup 2010!!! I'm excited for the next 30 days full of incredible battles and the intensity and passion of the players and fans.

    I hope this thread doesn't turn into the "soccer is boring/soccer is great" debate and can just stick to those who like soccer and want to discuss teams/tactics/games.

    Personally, I feel Spain has a very strong team and you can't ever really look past the Brazilians. Of course I want to see the US do well but will have a tough group. England obviously will be tough and Algeria will have hype as an African nation and Slovenia upset some teams during qualification to get here. Argentina will be another team to watch, although they struggled through qualification, Lionel Messi is an incredible player and it will be interesting to see Maradona handle his squad during the full tournament. Would also like to see South Africa move out of group, just for all of the people of South Africa and for everything they have been through over the years. Who are your favorites?



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 36,493, Level: 58
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    letsCYber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    U.S. of A.
    Posts
    1,349
    Points
    36,493
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by CRCy17 View Post
    It's finally here folks, World Cup 2010!!! I'm excited for the next 30 days full of incredible battles and the intensity and passion of the players and fans.

    I hope this thread doesn't turn into the "soccer is boring/soccer is great" debate and can just stick to those who like soccer and want to discuss teams/tactics/games.

    Personally, I feel Spain has a very strong team and you can't ever really look past the Brazilians. Of course I want to see the US do well but will have a tough group. England obviously will be tough and Algeria will have hype as an African nation and Slovenia upset some teams during qualification to get here. Argentina will be another team to watch, although they struggled through qualification, Lionel Messi is an incredible player and it will be interesting to see Maradona handle his squad during the full tournament. Would also like to see South Africa move out of group, just for all of the people of South Africa and for everything they have been through over the years. Who are your favorites?

    Ivory Coast - Didier Drogba broken arm and all will be raising the trophy to the sky



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 39,902, Level: 61
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,066
    Points
    39,902
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 51

    Re: World Cup 2010

    I'm just praying the US at least draws with England tomorrow - I can't wait!



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 25,093, Level: 48
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Points
    25,093
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

    Re: World Cup 2010

    I think it'll be the traditional power: Germany, Brazil or Italy. I don't see French even qualifying from their group. Germany, Italy and Brazil are tournament teams: they get hotter and have staying power for the entire tournament. Netherlands and Denmark could be very good in the group stage but will implode at the knock out stage: it's their common pattern.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 32,116, Level: 55
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclonez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames via IC
    Posts
    3,968
    Points
    32,116
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: World Cup 2010

    I'm stoked for the world cup but I am not looking forward to 90 minutes of headaches from listening to this bee hive.


    Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

    Philippians 4:13

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 101,345, Level: 99
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,186
    Points
    101,345
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonez7 View Post
    I'm stoked for the world cup but I am not looking forward to 90 minutes of headaches from listening to this bee hive.
    exactly. That noise is going to considerably cut down on my viewing time. Can't believe they didn't outlaw those.


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 36,493, Level: 58
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    letsCYber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    U.S. of A.
    Posts
    1,349
    Points
    36,493
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    I think it'll be the traditional power: Germany, Brazil or Italy. I don't see French even qualifying from their group. Germany, Italy and Brazil are tournament teams: they get hotter and have staying power for the entire tournament. Netherlands and Denmark could be very good in the group stage but will implode at the knock out stage: it's their common pattern.
    Germany win it with Ballack injured and missing the cup? Dream on.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 27,419, Level: 50
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CRCy17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colonia, NJ
    Posts
    841
    Points
    27,419
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonez7 View Post
    I'm stoked for the world cup but I am not looking forward to 90 minutes of headaches from listening to this bee hive.
    Thats where Im excited to find a packed pub tomorrow for the USA game so the noise of the bar should drown out the buzzing....I hope...



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,505, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,025
    Points
    39,505
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 17

    Re: World Cup 2010

    I love the buzzing. When I hear that noice all I think of is futbol.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  10. #10
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 234,379, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,659
    Points
    234,379
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 523
    Given: 480

    Re: World Cup 2010

    What causes the "bee hive?" The fact that people can bring in whatever they want to make noise?


    Mexico is controlling the game against South Africa right now.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 101,345, Level: 99
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,186
    Points
    101,345
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    What causes the "bee hive?" The fact that people can bring in whatever they want to make noise?


    Mexico is controlling the game against South Africa right now.
    Vuvuzelas

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

    Vuvuzelas have been controversial, linked to permanent noise-induced hearing loss, potentiality spreading colds and flu germs on a greater scale than coughing or shouting, and injury to pets who generally have more sensitive hearing and are more likely to run away because of being terrified by the sound.


    Last edited by HiltonMagic; 06-11-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 25,093, Level: 48
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Points
    25,093
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by letsCYber View Post
    Germany win it with Ballack injured and missing the cup? Dream on.
    Remember 1994 ? Brasil won after they replaced their captain, Rai with Dunga !
    In 1990, West Germany won it when Matthaeus wasn't so impressive in the knockout stage.
    Remember back in 1986, Brazil lost on penalties although they played very well throughout the whole tournament almost without Zico at all ?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 120,858, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,208
    Points
    120,858
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 631

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Watch party at Victor's tomorrow: Login | Facebook



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 646,780, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,833
    Points
    646,780
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,474
    Given: 138

    Re: World Cup 2010

    Mexico is just working South Africa at this point, can't get it into the net as of yet though.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 67,389, Level: 80
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    timappelgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Posts
    2,280
    Points
    67,389
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: World Cup 2010

    im following us all the way and im so pumped. but im also cheering for france. one dark horse to watch this year is argentina.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM