Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cyclone42

One thing to consider, why we might want the Big12 to stay together

I can totally sympathize with ISU fans who might want ISU to leave what remains of the Big 12, to the Big East for example. But what we might want to consider is how this would affect recruiting. I've seen this mentioned before, but I thing it bears mentioning again.

The Big 12 dominates recruiting in the state of Texas. What recruits that don't go to a Texas school, end up going to a Big 12 school outside of Texas. I don't have the numbers, but I don't think very many go to a non-Texas, non-Big 12 school every year.

Nebraska leaving the Big 12 will affect their ability to recruit that state. They don't have much tradition in recruiting Texas, as they really didn't recruit Texas much until Bo Pelini came along. Nebraska's only hope is if what remains of the Big 12 disintegrates. If the Big 12 holds together, the conference's stranglehold on Texas recruiting will continue. As a bonus, ISU might be able to pick up a few Texas recruits who might otherwise have gone to Nebraska.

It is going to take a while for Nebraska to make the shift to recruiting big 10 states. Their existing recruiters are experienced in recruiting Big 12 states like Texas primarily. It isn't like they can fire them and hire Big 10 recruiters, since they haven't done anything warranting being fired. So Nebraska will have Big 12 recruiters, and need to recruit Big 10 states with them. It won't be an easy transition. The same thing would happen to us if we leave the Big 12.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 45

Re: One thing to consider, why we might want the Big12 to stay together

Yes there would be a transition but it opens up new doors of recruiting in the big east states, such as flordia, its a possability that we stregthen that pipeling, but who knows. Almost one is thing is sure though is that it will stregthen our basketball recruiting.

"Watch out for the Cyclones. We comin," Korie Lucious.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I don't buy this. How many recruits do we get from florida each year?

Remind me how many games in the past 10 years we have played in florida?

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

winning solves this and having the right coaches, plus not being in a mid major conference.

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

We have the right coaches no doubt there. Damn it we are a good university I just do not understand all the hate we receive.

Prospect
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Nebraska will never have trouble recruiting, no matter what conference they are in.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 20

why don't we just start paying the players? that usually helps with recruiting...

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 122

If NU were for some reason not to get a Big Ten bid today, I think it would be highly preferable for ISU if the Big 12 remained. Recruiting ties are in place, academic relationships are in place, the tradition of the ISU/KU/NU/KSU/OU/OSU/MU relationships can be preserved, travel distances are reasonable, and wrestling (ISU's best sport) would be unaffected. Add a replacement for CU, sign the FOX deal, lock everybody down, and move forward.

The Big East is just as, if not more, unstable than the Big 12. If the Big Ten, ACC and SEC expand further, they are likely to be pulling from the Big East, and then ISU will be going through the same thing again in a very short time.

If NU does indeed go Big Ten, the Big East seems to be the best option, but I'm just afraid it is going to be a real unstable ride there...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    If NU were for some reason not to get a Big Ten bid today, I think it would be highly preferable for ISU if the Big 12 remained. Recruiting ties are in place, academic relationships are in place, the tradition of the ISU/KU/NU/KSU/OU/OSU/MU relationships can be preserved, travel distances are reasonable, and wrestling (ISU's best sport) would be unaffected. Add a replacement for CU, sign the FOX deal, lock everybody down, and move forward.

The Big East is just as, if not more, unstable than the Big 12. If the Big Ten, ACC and SEC expand further, they are likely to be pulling from the Big East, and then ISU will be going through the same thing again in a very short time.

If NU does indeed go Big Ten, the Big East seems to be the best option, but I'm just afraid it is going to be a real unstable ride there...
    You know, I really don't know what your obsession is with ISU being content and "standing pat" and allowing its world completely change around it without trying to do something about it, and at the end of it all hoping that CUSA would be willing to take us in. Then again, perhaps it's because of your opinion that Dan Beebe is an excellent commissioner, or, at the very least, is not at least partially to blame for what is happening to the Big 12. You seem to think that Beebe has no say in anything and is doing his job in sitting on his hands and imitating Niedermayer with his repetitive "All is well!!!" speech. If Beebe truly has no power in this, why the hell do we even have a conference commissioner? He is supposed to be the leader, the voice, of the Big 12 conference, and instead all he has done is continued to insist that the Big 12 conference will be fine with no proof of action behind those statements. Virtually every single media outlet, from ESPN to SI to Sporting News, has called out Beebe and his failure to be proactive (if not his outright favorable attitude towards Texas) as being one of the primary reasons as to why the Big 12 conference has failed, yet for whatever reason, you continue to be of the opinion that Beebe is doing an excellent job. And yet you call out the Big East as an unstable conference. Perhaps it is. But at least their commissioner, none other than the respected Paul Tagliabue, the guy who only LED the NFL into its glory years (and being the most profitable sports league in America, if not the world) and is probably at least 5 times smarter than Dan Beebe, is trying to do SOMETHING PROACTIVE to hold his conference together. And by the time Tagliabue is done with the Big East conference, it could quite possibly be an extremely stable conference, certainly more stable than the ACC, possibly more stable than the other superconferences when the gigantic egos begin clashing with each other.

Would it be more ideal for the Big 12 to remain together? Probably. But in that scenario the best ISU can ever hope for is to be the school that continues to work to make Texas as much money as it possibly can - because if Texas DOES hold this conference together, it's going to be at their terms and they're going to leech more profits from this conference than they ever have before. And why shouldn't it be at their terms? They only have 3 other power conferences lining up to invite them into theirs.

At this point I'm almost ready to trust ISU's fate to the former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's hands as opposed to the former OVC and "current" (for who knows how much longer) Big 12 commissioners Beebe's bumbling hands...

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 06-11-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

What I don't understand, I read somewhere that the Big 12 was more than likely to obtain a pretty good TV deal in two years -2012 season. It would supposidly be on par with or close to the BigTen and SEC deal. I can somewhat understand why NE would leave for the Big10 and even then, I'm not convinced it has long term benefits that outway staying in the Big12.

Any other team leaving for the PAC10 doesn't seem like a good deal when you facter in the increase in travel expense and the West coast bias. I just wish that the leadership in the Big12 would have done a better job of managing issues. It's not like it was broken beyond repair or was/is desperate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,504
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 2

If this Big East thing has any legs, it is moving up my chart on what I would want. I'm gonna steal a line from Shawshank.
    Iowa State- who crawled through a river of **** and came out clean on the other side.
    The river of **** = Pretty much the entire tenure in the Big 12 and especially the last 2 weeks hearing how "nobody wants us" or "Have fun in the MAC" (Im looking at you Iowa fans, D-bags)
    The New Big East, barring its BCS status, could be such a huge breath of fresh air for us. Football wise, it's a division full of parity. We get to keep the Kansas schools and Missou and add some new rivalries out east.
    Basketball wise would be absolutely sick! Talk about having to bring it every night and playing in some pretty talent friendly areas.
    The key is Rutgers. We know that nobody actually watches Rutgers but they bring the NYC market which has $$$$ written all over it. Throw in St. Louis, Kansas City, etc. and now we are talking about a TV network where we will absolutely get paid. We have to persuade Rutgers that athletically, it's best for them to remain in the Big East (Which is the truth).
    There are some negatives but it will still be better than having to cater to one team constantly.
    Keep the basketball tournament out at MSG, that is the meca of basketball. As for the football conference championship, one year in KC, next year in New York. Something in the middle would be Big 10 country.
    I am on board with this 100%. Iowa State can compete in this conference year in year out.
    One final wish, put Texas in the Big 10 with Iowa and let them realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    I can totally sympathize with ISU fans who might want ISU to leave what remains of the Big 12, to the Big East for example. But what we might want to consider is how this would affect recruiting. I've seen this mentioned before, but I thing it bears mentioning again.

The Big 12 dominates recruiting in the state of Texas. What recruits that don't go to a Texas school, end up going to a Big 12 school outside of Texas. I don't have the numbers, but I don't think very many go to a non-Texas, non-Big 12 school every year.

Nebraska leaving the Big 12 will affect their ability to recruit that state. They don't have much tradition in recruiting Texas, as they really didn't recruit Texas much until Bo Pelini came along. Nebraska's only hope is if what remains of the Big 12 disintegrates. If the Big 12 holds together, the conference's stranglehold on Texas recruiting will continue. As a bonus, ISU might be able to pick up a few Texas recruits who might otherwise have gone to Nebraska.

It is going to take a while for Nebraska to make the shift to recruiting big 10 states. Their existing recruiters are experienced in recruiting Big 12 states like Texas primarily. It isn't like they can fire them and hire Big 10 recruiters, since they haven't done anything warranting being fired. So Nebraska will have Big 12 recruiters, and need to recruit Big 10 states with them. It won't be an easy transition. The same thing would happen to us if we leave the Big 12.
    Only 2 things come from Texas: 1. Steers 2. ******

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Let me correct myself - Tagliabue isn't Big East commissioner. He's the adviser to the Big East commissioner.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post

CPR used to coach in Big East country, he may have some connections

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    You know, I really don't know what your obsession is with ISU being content and "standing pat" and allowing its world completely change around it without trying to do something about it, and at the end of it all hoping that CUSA would be willing to take us in.
    I've never said that ISU should stand pat and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Then again, perhaps it's because of your opinion that Dan Beebe is an excellent commissioner,
    [...]
    yet for whatever reason, you continue to be of the opinion that Beebe is doing an excellent job.
    I don't know how you got here from what I posted above. I don't ever recall posting that Dan Beebe is an excellent commissioner who is doing an excellent job, and unless you can show one post where I've said such, you are just flat out slandering me.

In the past, I've have tried to point out that many of the things people blame Beebe for are beyond his control and in the hands of the Big 12 Directors, but I have never said he is an excellent commissioner. I have also criticized him in the past for his public comments. An example is given below.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...ml#post1392621

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy