View Poll Results: Which type of play calling do you support the most when ISU has a small lead late?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservative - Run between tackles on 1st & 2nd, only safe passes on third if needed

0 0%
  • Slightly Conservative - Mostly run plays, only safe passes if needed.

11 7.59%
  • Regular - Mix of runs and passes, still conservative when backed up towards own goalline.

54 37.24%
  • Slightly Aggressive - Mix of runs with more passes to include deep routes, use most of playbook.

52 35.86%
  • Aggresive - Use all of playbook. Do the unexpected. Make them defend the entire field.

28 19.31%
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Wanted - Offensive Play Calling Opinion

I'm interested in seeing what type of offensive play calling fans would be most comfortable with when ISU has a small lead in the fourth or even the third quarters of a game. Make the selection you would be willing to live with even if it ended up costing us the game. (I realize that each game is different and there are a lot of variables that may lead one to a different strategy choice but think of this as a big picture type of question.)

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 17
    Keep going with what got you there...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I went with the slightly aggressive play calling the way we lost that game against kansas last year was much too conservative.... it made me sick to my freaking stomach... to blow that important of a game after having an 8 point lead going into the fourth quarter. The play calling in that half was play not to lose ( i.e. conservative) and it failed and it wasnt like they were really making great plays, we were just too willing to go three and out and give the ball back. With the slightly aggressive you can kind of lull them to sleep with the run and short passes then hit a big 50 yard pass to Blythe. If we lose while still attacking and PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME I can live with that, but losing while just playing not to lose is just plain devestating.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 587
    The play calling will always be considered questionable in a loss. Conservative gives you a three and out to complain about, aggressive gives you a potential turnover, or clock stoppage on an incomplete pass. The only way the coach wins that arguement is if it works. The fact is, you can get away with conservative play calling if you can impose your will on the other team, and dominate the line of scrimmage when you need to. I think Barney Cotton will lead ISU in that direction. ISU under McCarney has shown the ability to do just that against the lesser teams. But I still voted for slightly aggressive. I think you still need to keep the defense guessing until you can impose your will on the other team.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    slightly aggressive makes the most since to me... especially after last year's game ending debacles

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    With our receiving core we need to go with long routes often. No team has that good of a secondary to defend all of the good receivers that we have. make them defend the pass, and take advantage of the receiving core you have.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 294
    ISU does not have a strong defense to just sit on the ball. We have seen this too many times in the past. Instead, we need to think ISU 37-NE 26 game.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I love getting very conservative when your up by 20+ points in the 4th quarter, but when your opponite is within three scores you have to stay in somewhat of an attack mode. Teams can score too quickly to start mailing it in. It seems that 70% of the time for other college teams, and 100% of the time for ISU , the offence can't get going once they were in a delay mode.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard