Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Iowa Cubs

Anyone been to an I-Cubs game yet this year? They are 3 games ahead in 1st place right now. I went to the Wednesday afternoon game last week then again Saturday night. Sat in the right field bleachers Weds. and Saturday I really wish I had my camera as we had seats 2nd row right near the bullpen. Sean Marshall started so was right there to see him warm up before the game. Felix Pie and Ronny Cedeno were about 10 feet away from our seats too so I'm really kicking myself for forgetting the camera because you aren't going to get much closer than that to get some shots of guys that have been up in the big league and will be back at some point again.

Well Weds. was a 8-5 win and saw Angel Pagan hit a homer before being called up the next day and hitting one for the big club as well. Saturday the I-Cubs were down 11-5 before losing 11-8 but they had a chance but good old Ronny Cedeno came up and ended any hope leaving 2 on base by grounding out. Not sure what is up with that kid, he hit around .350 at Iowa before being called up in 2005. Played all last year in Chicago and now he can't even hit back here in the minors. Marshall looked good at times but walked 4 batters. The bullpen came in and blew his lead right away giving up a 2 run homer. Marshall has had 2 really good starts and 1 ok start so I think if Angel Guzman struggles at all he'll probably be a good candidate to take the #5 job but not sure how having 3 lefties in the rotation would be either. Carlos Marmol has not been to bad either I see and the Fontenot kid we got in the Sosa trade is on a tear right now so if there are any injuries to the big league team there are guys in Iowa right now that seem to be capable of filling in if needed.

It's nuts how a good chunk of the I-Cubs roster was with Chicago at some point last season which makes for some good ball to watch here in town right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Iowa Cubs

Quit mentioning the Wednesday game last week.

It was a co-workers last day so we took him out to lunch. While at lunch he says, "I should have gotten dad's skybox. We could have watched the game."

I about kicked him out of the office at 1:30 PM instead of letting him stay the rest of the day.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Season ticket holder.

Can't argue with anything you put out there. Can't think of his name, but the 3rd basemen that's been playing lately has got a fisherman's net for a glove. He's made a stellar play almost daily.

Glad to see Felix down here - not glad for him of course. But he is fun to watch. Eric Patterson is going to be so much better than Cory.

I really feel bad for that 3rd basemen (name please???), Micah and Fontenot - actually the whole infield. Koye Hill has been solid as well. There's such a glut of talent (and contract $$$) up in Chicago right now they don't really stand much of a chance of getting up to the bigs.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't live and die by the Iowa Cubs, but normally try and make it to one or 2 games a year and nothing beats Principal Park. I'm going to try and take my 5 year old to his first game this summer when the Omaha Royals are in town.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

I went to the season opener and I went to the game on Friday night. They are playing some good ball lately.

I love going to the games, especially when the weather is nice. My only complaint: $7.50 for a large beer.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Amber Boch - $6.50 at the Grill.

My complaint - I went Friday too - it took an inning and a half to get through the line.

If I'm Michael Gardner - I'm pretty p.o.'d at my concession manager. The lack of thoughput in those lines is costing thousands on nights like Friday.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Season ticket holder.

Can't argue with anything you put out there. Can't think of his name, but the 3rd basemen that's been playing lately has got a fisherman's net for a glove. He's made a stellar play almost daily.

Glad to see Felix down here - not glad for him of course. But he is fun to watch. Eric Patterson is going to be so much better than Cory.

I really feel bad for that 3rd basemen (name please???), Micah and Fontenot - actually the whole infield. Koye Hill has been solid as well. There's such a glut of talent (and contract $$$) up in Chicago right now they don't really stand much of a chance of getting up to the bigs.
    Is Scott Moore the guy you are thinking of? He plays 3B a lot. Will be interesting how they rotate the infield with Cedeno back now because you know the big Cubs want him playing nearly every day down here probably. Fontenot, Moore, and Patterson all been playing well so not sure what you do unless you play Micah in the OF like they do sometimes and move Moore to 1B, Fontenot to 3B just so you can play Cedeno more? They have a glut of infielders now to juggle.

You are right though, besides Pie most of these guys are not getting called up. I can see Marshall and Marmol if they have an injury to a pitcher and maybe Cedeno if one of their infielders goes down but I wonder with Fontenot playing great right now that he might be the 1st infielder to be called up and not Cedeno.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Amber Boch - $6.50 at the Grill.

My complaint - I went Friday too - it took an inning and a half to get through the line.

If I'm Michael Gardner - I'm pretty p.o.'d at my concession manager. The lack of thoughput in those lines is costing thousands on nights like Friday.
    Isn't a large Bud Light $6 at the concessions? Could of sworn that is what I paid for 1.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

You need to get half drunk before you get to the game. It's to expensive to drink at the game. So you can buy 2 beers just to keep the buz while your there. Kind of milk it a little. I would say eat before you go but that is very Un-American baseball fan of you. YOu have to have a dog or Sausage link there. Last year (I have not been there yet this year) they had some killer sausage links from Graziano's. They were Phenominal.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I think so. I love the Boch - so that's where I go.

But CW is right - "Premium" beers are something like $7.50 - had to get one for the wife the other night. I'm not sure what constitutes "premium" aside from Millsteam. I'm guessing the Linney's and Boulevard is as well. And somebody told me the tallboy cans the vendors sell in the stands are $7.50.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

My ritual last season was a loaded Brat and two beers. But that costs $20 this year.

My wife and I went to El Bait shop, had a beer and the specials for dinner - the two of us was about $20. Then walked over for the rest of the game. That's the way to go.

I propose a CF night at Principal Park. I could probably sponsor a handful of tix (Gen Admin) if anybody is interested.

Gonig tonight in fact...

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

I e-mailed Michael Gardner about there long waits and high price beer. It will do no good. Just made me feel better.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I e-mailed Michael Gardner about there long waits and high price beer.
    High prices? No, it will do no good.

Long wait - Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. I had the fortune to meet Mr. Gardner at the season ticket pickup party. He walked around greeting everybody, thanking them for their business. Stood there and b.s.'d with my wife and I for a few minutes. It's obvious that he's a savy businessman and know's where his income is from at the ballpark.

Very nice and impressive person, at least gauging from that brief encounter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133

The I-Cubs have pretty much priced me out, I never go anymore. I go to Kansas City and Minneapolis enough that if I'm going to go to a game, I might as well spend about the same amount and see the big leaguers.

My wife keeps wanting to go to a game, so I'll probably see 1 or 2 this year, but the prices are out of this world for AAA baseball in my opinion.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

I think the actual ticket prices are still a good deal. Its the concessions that are out of this world.

The $7.50 I paid was for a 24 oz tallboy. I bought 5 of them between the gf and I and spent $37.50 on beer alone. That is outrageous.